A sister for Amelia

We have a six year old daughter named [name]Amelia[/name] (nn [name]Mia[/name]) and are trying to find a girl’s name that will go well with it and that we both love. We really like [name]Leopold[/name] nn [name]Leo[/name] for a boy, but are having a much harder time deciding on a girl’s name. We have a one syllable last name . I have been lurking for awhile reading posts and love a lot of the taste in names on here. Here’s a few that we like so far, but I am totally open to suggestions.

[name]Charlotte[/name]-I have always loved this name, but I’m worried it will sound strange since our last name has the same starting sound
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]-Is this too trendy?
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]

Please give me your honest opinions and any other suggestions you may have! Thanks!

[name]Stacey[/name]

I think the best fit with [name]Amelia[/name] is [name]Charlotte[/name], but I can see your hesitation with the flow with the last name. My other picks would be [name]Genevieve[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name]. I love [name]Caroline[/name], but I think I might want a bit more uncommon name with [name]Amelia[/name] to make the set more distinctive. [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Esme[/name] are also great names, but I prefer the others with [name]Amelia[/name].

My favorite name off of your list is [name]Charlotte[/name], but I understand your hesitation due to your last name. [name]Caroline[/name] would be a great compromise, as it is elegant and sophisticated and beautiful. It doesn’t have quite the whimsy that [name]Charlotte[/name] has, but it is quite regal. I also love [name]Genevieve[/name] off your list, but I’m not in love with [name]Amelia[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] together. They have different feels, I think.

You might like these:

[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Christabel[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Gwendolen[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Tallulah[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback ladies! I so love [name]Charlotte[/name] and think it goes so well with [name]Amelia[/name] and my only hesitation is the alliteration with our last name. Our last name is Schwab, does [name]Charlotte[/name] Schwab sound awful or do you think it could work? I like [name]Caroline[/name], but it just doesn’t hold the same charm for me as [name]Charlotte[/name]. [name]Lemon[/name], thanks for all of the suggestions, you have great taste! I especially like [name]Evelyn[/name], [name]Lydia[/name] and [name]Katherine[/name].

[name]Beatrice[/name]-DH says no way
[name]Christabel[/name]-I love this as a middle name, but not totally feeling it as a first name
[name]Dorothy[/name]-I want to like this, but it makes me think of [name]Golden[/name] Girls
[name]Evelyn[/name]-[name]Love[/name], DH vetoed, but maybe I could try again? It was his grandmother’s middle name, so maybe I could sell it that way?
[name]Francesca[/name]-Maybe
[name]Gwendolen[/name]-[name]Love[/name], but it’s the name of a good friend’s daughter
[name]Harriet[/name]-Not loving it
[name]Josephine[/name]-Maybe
[name]Katherine[/name]-I love [name]Katherine[/name], but am not too keen on any of the nicknames
[name]Lydia[/name]-So pretty, I’ll have to think about this and run past DH
[name]Margaret[/name]-Maybe, I love [name]Maggie[/name] as a nickname
[name]Naomi[/name]-For some reason I just don’t love this
[name]Penelope[/name]-[name]Friend[/name]'s daughter
[name]Ramona[/name]-I’ve considered this, but it makes me think of the books, not necessarily bad association though
[name]Susannah[/name]-[name]Love[/name] this, but it’s my cousin’s name
[name]Tallulah[/name]-I love this, DH vetoed
[name]Violet[/name]-[name]Love[/name] it, I don’t remember why we vetoed it

I understand why you don’t want to reveal your last name, but it is hard to judge without hearing it. Sometimes alliteration in name is cool, other times cutesy or just sounds wrong. Keep saying [name]Charlotte[/name] over with your last name. Maybe it works?

I did like some of lemon’s suggestions, however, especially [name]Christabel[/name] and [name]Gwendolen[/name]. I also like the under-used [name]Diantha[/name], [name]Isabeau[/name], [name]Aria[/name], and [name]Arabella[/name]. [name]Aria[/name] is probably too close to [name]Amelia[/name], but I think [name]Amelia[/name] and [name]Arabella[/name] are good together, close but not too. I’m really liking [name]Beau[/name] or Beaux (from [name]Isabeau/name) for a girl’s name. (I suspect it will be stolen by the girls.)

Hm. Honestly, [name]Charlotte[/name] Schwab doesn’t bother me so much. What would you call her? [name]Charlie[/name] or [name]Lottie[/name]? It might not be ideal, but it certainly isn’t horrible.

I’m glad you like [name]Evelyn[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], and [name]Katherine[/name]. [name]Lydia[/name]'s my absolute favorite! It ends in an -ia like [name]Amelia[/name] - does that bug you? There are plenty of great -ia names, though! [name]Georgia[/name] would be a cute sister for [name]Amelia[/name] and [name]Lydia[/name], as would be [name]Julia[/name]. Hm. If your husband doesn’t like [name]Evelyn[/name], you could try the [name]Eveline[/name] spelling - it might seem fresher to him. As for [name]Katherine[/name]'s nicknames, I’m sure you’ve scouted the usual suspects like [name]Kate[/name], [name]Katie[/name], and [name]Kathy[/name], but maybe [name]Kat[/name] or [name]Kit[/name] - even [name]Kitty[/name] - would appeal to you? [name]Mia[/name] and [name]Kit[/name] is adorable.

You know, your [name]Amelia[/name] has a great historical namesake in [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Earhart[/name]. Others that remind me of [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Earhart[/name] are [name]Abigail[/name] ([name]Abigail[/name] [name]Adams[/name]), [name]Louisa[/name] ([name]Louisa[/name] [name]May[/name] [name]Alcott[/name]), [name]Clara[/name] ([name]Clara[/name] [name]Barton[/name]), [name]Martha[/name] - or - [name]Jane[/name] ([name]Martha[/name] [name]Jane[/name] “Calamity [name]Jane[/name]” Cannary), [name]Charlotte[/name] ([name]Charlotte[/name] Forten Grimke), [name]Anne[/name] ([name]Anne[/name] [name]Hutchinson[/name]), [name]Juliette[/name] ([name]Juliette[/name] [name]Gordon[/name] Low), [name]Alice[/name] ([name]Alice[/name] [name]Paul[/name]), [name]Eleanor[/name] ([name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Anna[/name] [name]Roosevelt[/name]), and [name]Laura[/name] ([name]Laura[/name] Ingalls [name]Wilder[/name]). My favorites of these figures are definitely [name]Clara[/name] [name]Barton[/name], [name]Louisa[/name] [name]May[/name] [name]Alcott[/name], [name]Laura[/name] Ingalls [name]Wilder[/name], [name]Alice[/name] [name]Paul[/name], and Calamity [name]Jane[/name]. I love [name]Clara[/name] and [name]Laura[/name] with [name]Amelia[/name], in particular…

PS My mother’s paternal grandmother was a Schwab. Her name was [name]Laura[/name] [name]Amanda[/name].

[name]Hi[/name]! Congratulations!

I sort of skimmed through the other posts, so sorry if I missed anything.

Okay, I agree that from your list [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name] work the best together. [name]Charlotte[/name] Schwab isn’t terrible at all, but it doesn’t have the best sound. You said you liked [name]Violet[/name], which I think is great. It has been my personal favourite for a few years, and can definitely see it with [name]Amelia[/name].

Here are some other suggestions, and once again, sorry for repeats.

[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Honora[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Jessamine[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]

My favourites with [name]Amelia[/name] are [name]Helena[/name], [name]Scarlett[/name], and [name]Cora[/name], but I think they all work well.

Bounce :slight_smile:

I talked with my DH and he’s getting as attached to [name]Charlotte[/name] as I am. If we used a nickname it would be [name]Lottie[/name], which I think is nice with [name]Mia[/name]. He also really liked the suggestion of [name]Clara[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Jessamine[/name] nn [name]Jessa[/name] and while he’s not sold on [name]Katherine[/name], he really thought [name]Mia[/name] and [name]Kit[/name] sounded cute together. What else could [name]Kit[/name] be short for? I liked the suggestion of [name]Laura[/name] and [name]Juliette[/name], but he didn’t like those as well.

Also, what would be some good middle names for [name]Charlotte[/name]? [name]Amelia[/name]'s mn is [name]Frances[/name] after my grandmother. I had thought of using [name]Annabelle[/name] as a middle name since it’s a combination of family names, but it sounds too sticky sweet with [name]Charlotte[/name]. Some other family names we wouldn’t mind honoring are [name]Jean[/name], [name]Beth[/name], [name]Belle[/name] and [name]Ann[/name].

Thanks!

[name]Stacey[/name]

[name]Stacey[/name],

I think [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eliza[/name] Schwab would be pretty, and it sort of honors [name]Beth[/name] ([name]Elizabeth[/name]?). [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Christabel[/name] Schwab would honor [name]Belle[/name], but maybe [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Mirabelle[/name] Schwab would be nice. I agree [name]Annabelle[/name] is a bit too soft and sweet, especially next to [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Frances[/name], which I love, by the way. [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Anna[/name] Schwab is cute, as is [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Marian[/name] Schwab. [name]Marian[/name] has a vintage feel like [name]Frances[/name]. [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Maria[/name] Schwab would be stunning, too! Actually, that’ smy favorite, but it doesn’t honor family, does it?

I don’t know what else [name]Kit[/name] could be short for, honestly. Probably [name]Kristen[/name], but that isn’t really ideal with [name]Amelia[/name]. I love both [name]Clara[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name] with [name]Amelia[/name]. [name]Clara[/name] [name]Mirabelle[/name] Schwab is adorable, as is [name]Clara[/name] [name]Julianne[/name] Schwab. My favorite [name]Clara[/name] combination might be [name]Clara[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] Schwab, though. [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Jeannette[/name] is cute, as is [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Marianne[/name]. Maybe [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Annora[/name] Schwab would be nice, too? [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] Schwab is probably my favorite, though.

[name]Lemon[/name],

Thank you so much for your help! We both love [name]Hazel[/name], but we’re still leaning towards [name]Charlotte[/name]. I’m loving [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Maria[/name], so pretty. [name]Amelia[/name] shares a birthday with my grandma which is one major reason we used her middle name of [name]Frances[/name], but we don’t have to use a family name for a middle for [name]Charlotte[/name]. It would be a bonus, but not required. My DH really likes [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Wren[/name], but I’m thinking something more classic would flow better with [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Frances[/name]. Can you or anyone else think of any other classic names that would go well with [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Frances[/name] without having to worry about family names?

[name]Stacey[/name]

Well, [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eliza[/name] is my personal favorite [name]Charlotte[/name] combination - it’s on my own list for a future daughter - but [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Maria[/name] is gorgeous, and very Pride and Prejudice ([name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Maria[/name] are the [name]Lucas[/name] sisters). But, let’s see…

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Amabel[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Clara[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Diana[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eva[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Flora[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Gwendolyn[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Helen[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Helena[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Iris[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Julia[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Maria[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Olive[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Prudence[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Rosaline[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Sylvia[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Simone[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Theresa[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Tess[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Viola[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Winifred[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Wilhelmina[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Willa[/name]

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Wren[/name] is adorable, but I’d go more classic with [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Frances[/name].

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eliza[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Maria[/name] are lovely combinations for [name]Amelia[/name]! So classic. I also like [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Esme[/name] (this name was on your list too)! Best wishes.

I’m in love with [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eliza[/name]. It’s so classic and pretty and it goes so well with [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Frances[/name]. I’m working on DH, he still really likes [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Wren[/name], but he’s not opposed to [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eliza[/name]. I think [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Wren[/name] is pretty, but it just doesn’t sound as perfect with [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Frances[/name]. Hopefully he’ll come around! Thanks so much for everyone’s help!

Why not go with [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name]? You said its a name you love, and its your husbands grandmas (middle?) name so the family connection is there. Plus it sounds super pretty. [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] Schwab is my pick!

Okay so [name]Jon[/name] and I talked and we’re debating doing two middle names. We really want to honor his grandma [name]Jean[/name] and my mom [name]Beth[/name], so we are thinking about [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jean[/name] Schwab. My middle name is [name]Elizabeth[/name] after my mom, so we felt like using [name]Eliza[/name] would be a nice way of passing down our shared name. [name]Do[/name] you think it’s okay to use two middle names on one child and not another since [name]Amelia[/name] only has one? The more we talked, we really want [name]Charlotte[/name]'s middle name to have a family history since [name]Amelia[/name]'s does. I would love some opinions or feedback. Thanks so much!

[name]Stacey[/name]

I’d use [name]Eliza[/name] for sure. [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Jean[/name] does sound very nice too! I really don’t know how [name]Amelia[/name] will feel about having one middle name if her sister has two. Depending on how old [name]Amelia[/name] is… before she has a chance to find out on her own and feel different (if you do use two for [name]Charlotte[/name]), it might be good to discuss it with her now (if she’s old enough) or as soon as she will understand the topic, so you can present it to her with an explanation that will make her name feel just as special.