A sister for Clare?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] Berries,

Our second child is due in 9 weeks and we are stumped on girls names. Our daughter’s name is [name_f]Clare[/name_f] which we had selected long before she was ever conceived. At this point it feels like we’ll both never [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] a name the same way we held onto [name_u]Clare[/name_u]. Our boys name has also been picked for years, [name_m]Jude[/name_m].

Both my husband and I have a few favourites, but neither of us love the other’s choices, yet I think we have quite similar taste. I won’t tell you who loves which (just to keep my bias out) but here are our combined top choices along with a few others likes.

Leading ladies:
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]

A few more on the longer short list…
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Marin[/name_f]
[name_f]Brynn[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you have anything new to suggest, or votes on what’s already on the list? Clearly we like short and sweet. [name_f]Simplicity[/name_f] is good because of our somewhat complicated last name.

Thank you!

I love [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] with [name_u]Clare[/name_u]. Some other suggestions, [name_u]Clare[/name_u] and…

[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f]
[name_f]Margo[/name_f]
[name_f]Posey[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]

[name_f]Cassie[/name_f]
[name_f]Mina[/name_f]
[name_f]Brenna[/name_f]
[name_f]Nola[/name_f]
[name_u]Alix[/name_u]
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Nora[/name_f] are my favs from your list. Suggestions:

[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Caroline[/name_f]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]

Nice choices. [name_f]Nora[/name_f] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] are more obvious picks to me (as in they are undeniably good matches for [name_u]Clare[/name_u]), but I really love [name_f]Violet[/name_f] with [name_u]Clare[/name_u], and the least expected pair of [name_f]Thea[/name_f] and [name_u]Clare[/name_u]. My votes go to [name_f]Thea[/name_f] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f]. I think they bring the sibset alive more so than [name_f]Nora[/name_f] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f].

This may have already been suggested, but have you considered naming your daughter [name_u]Jude[/name_u]? [name_u]Clare[/name_u] has been used for both genders for ages, and [name_u]Jude[/name_u] has a similar history, albeit a more masculine leaning.

You have many other names I love [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f] would be my top three. To add another, I would suggest [name_f]Iris[/name_f].

We have considered [name]Jude[/name] for a girl, but we’re also not totally sure if we’ll be done after 2. I’d hate to not use it after saving it for a son that may never be, but at the same time I might be just as disappointed if we used it on a girl and then are back at square one for a boy? I also am not a fan of the idea of a daughter getting the cutsy nickname of [name_f]Judy[/name_f] for those that just can’t handle [name_u]Jude[/name_u] for a girl. Although I’d probably overlook that if we have 3 girls just so we get our [name_u]Jude[/name_u]. It sounds a little irrational when I write it all out like that.

Thank you all for the other suggestions and votes. It’s helping me feel better about my husbands top choices. Maybe we can come to an agreement after all.

[name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to keep commenting!

[name_f]Freya[/name_f] and [name_f]Thea[/name_f] are my favorites from your list. [name_f]Freya[/name_f] is a name always in my head - so pretty. With [name_u]Clare[/name_u], I think someone suggested [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], which I think would be nice too.

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] + [name_u]Clare[/name_u]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f] + [name_u]Clare[/name_u]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f] + [name_u]Clare[/name_u]

I really love [name_f]Thea[/name_f] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Freya[/name_f]!

Suggestions:
[name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Paige[/name_f]
[name_u]Rue[/name_u]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Mia[/name_f]
[name_f]Maya[/name_f]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Ava[/name_f]
Saren
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_f]Fleur[/name_f]

[name_f]Thea[/name_f]! So beautiful, original, compliments [name_u]Clare[/name_u] (and [name_u]Jude[/name_u], if [name_u]Jude[/name_u] ever happens!) well without being overly matchy

My first thought was [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]. I like [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f] and [name_f]Thea[/name_f] from your list. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Lena[/name_f]
[name_f]Cassia[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Hana[/name_f]
[name_f]Nova[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Estelle[/name_f]

They all sound nice with [name_u]Clare[/name_u]. I think [name_f]Nora[/name_f] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] flow the best and are just such good matches with [name_u]Clare[/name_u].

I love [name_f]Thea[/name_f] best, but it doesn’t go as well with [name_u]Clare[/name_u] as [name_f]Violet[/name_f], in my opinion, which makes [name_f]Violet[/name_f] a better contender. On the second list, I like [name_f]Anna[/name_f] to go with [name_u]Clare[/name_u] best.

I really like [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f], and [name_f]Anna[/name_f].
Other suggestions:
[name_f]Jade[/name_f]
[name_f]Ayla[/name_f]
[name_f]Viola[/name_f]
[name_f]Mara[/name_f]
[name_f]Scarlet[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Leia[/name_f]
Layla

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Violet[/name_f] are my favorites from the first list, and I think both would be lovely with [name_u]Clare[/name_u]! I think [name_f]Nora[/name_f] would also be nice with [name_u]Clare[/name_u]. [name_f]Freya[/name_f] is my favorite from the second list, but I don’t like it with [name_u]Clare[/name_u].

What about (sorry for any repeats):

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_u]Piper[/name_u]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Wendy[/name_f]
[name_f]Willow[/name_f]
[name]Wren[/name]

I am right there with you!!! Our daughter name was set in stone years before she was even though of! And I feel the same, worried we won’t love anything the same or have it have as much meaning! We are stuck with out a boys or girls name!

Out of your list I love [name_f]Nora[/name_f] the best with sister [name_u]Clare[/name_u]!
Here are other ideas:
[name_f]Thora[/name_f] (combines two likes from your list)
[name_f]Faith[/name_f]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Alma[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]
[name_f]Jade[/name_f]

Good luck!!!

[name_u]Clare[/name_u] seems a stronger name to me than it does to many. It’s bright-sounding, has a bit of a drawling sound, it rhymes with blare, and it’s a unisex name. In meaning and sound, I think [name_f]Nora[/name_f] is the best. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Thea[/name_f] seem slightly prissy next to [name_u]Clare[/name_u]. I love the name [name_f]Violet[/name_f] but I don’t see it with [name_u]Clare[/name_u], it just seems to have too different a vibe. I like [name_f]Anne[/name_f] better with [name_u]Clare[/name_u] as it looks and sounds tidier and more regal, while [name_f]Anna[/name_f] might go better with Clara. [name_f]Brynn[/name_f] is really nice with [name_u]Clare[/name_u]. It reminds me of [name_u]Wynn[/name_u], which I think would be adorable with [name_u]Clare[/name_u] (and has the sweet nn [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]!)

Some more short and sweet

[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_u]Joan[/name_u]
[name_u]Page[/name_u]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_f]Anne[/name_f]
[name_u]Wynn[/name_u]/[name_u]Wyn[/name_u]/[name_u]Wynne[/name_u]/[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Nell[/name_f]
[name_f]Holly[/name_f]
[name_f]May[/name_f]
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]

Thank you all for your great suggestions and especially for the reassurance that out top picks are worthy names alongside [name_u]Clare[/name_u]. Now we just have to sit down and really pick something that makes us both happy!