A thought

So the other day I was thinking about how crazy some celebs get with their babies’ names, and something occurred to me.

Beautiful people can use crazier names.

Before anyone takes me wrong, think about it. Celebs have incredible genes that they are passing on to their babies; a handsome/beautiful child will always have an easier time being accepted, and hence can pull off an “out-there” name much better than all of us average joes and plain janes.

Take the name [name]Sparrow[/name] for example.
On an average boy/girl, it seems pretty risky, but if you knew without a doubt your child would be stunning (ala [name]Sparrow[/name] [name]Richie[/name]-[name]Madden[/name]), it becomes a viable name choice.

Maybe I’m just crazy, but it makes sense in my brain!
That being said, I don’t think it excuses some of the bizarre celebaby names out there! I also don’t think we need to hold our average selves back from more unusual names just because we aren’t models and movie stars! :slight_smile:

What do you think? [name]Do[/name] good genes allow for more naming freedom? [name]How[/name] about wealth and talent? [name]Do[/name] they also allow for slightly edgier naming?

I was thinking similar in a conversation with my friend last night, and from a post I made to the recent blog about celebrity names - I think by and large, not all celebrities are good looking, but many of them are. I think the attitude is the main thing. They likely go through the same process as anyone else choosing a name. I don’t think they always think about the pressure to choose something exotic or weird, like it’s expected of them. They have preferences, just like the rest of us, and criteria. They’re not following a formula - a lot of their choices seem to “go with” their persona, and seem typical for who they are, and obviously some don’t take the time to hear how the name sounds out loud - shows how much they know what they’re doing, right?! They are variably calculated, as in some more than others, and probably have more meaning to them than appears.

What sets them apart, and thus a lot of the names they choose, is their attitude. It takes a lot of attitude and thinking outside the box to become famous… er, maybe it’s sometimes luck, but I think they might just not think inside the same conventional rules the rest of us boring normals do, who stick to a narrow field of safety and don’t want our neighbors to laugh at us - for what car we drive, how we dress, what kind of coffee we drink. So if the celebrity likes a name, poof, they’re probably going to see no good reason why they shouldn’t use it - it goes against their whole way of being and doing and succeeding. They have the means to send their children to private school, and keep them in elite circles, so they really aren’t going to be teased as much, or have trouble finding a job when they’re older. They will be raised with the same kind of attitude their parents have. [name]Even[/name] if they are naming their children [name]Violet[/name] or [name]Ava[/name], nobody else is doing it, feeling at ease making an unpopular choice because they just love the name, rather than feel they are taking a big risk nobody will like it. And of course once they’ve done it, we [name]LOVE[/name] it.

Where this boils down into the rest of us - the stars really are some people many of us look up to, how to dress, how to be, what music do they like, what else do they endorse? If they can name their kid Lovelypants McJohnzen, they are just too cool to care! I want to be too cool to care! At least some of the time, you see direct copies of the name, as if its use has somehow legitimized this as a name. In other cases, regular people might just get ideas from it. A lot of what celebrities do is because of their attitude, which is different from a conservative population of regular people. There’s a reason the phrase is “regular Joes”. Middle class people try to boost themselves or their children up a little by copying names chosen by higher class folks, “in the know,” and these choices sometimes seem weird to their peers, and sometimes they just absorb the lesson - we’re all doing this now. Keeping up with the Joneses. Not all names go down from the top elite among us, but in the demographic for the celebrity who just named their child something odd, you might get ideas, you might take that as permission.

I don’t think it has anything to do with looking better than the rest of us, because honestly, a lot of them look sort of average - like the Willises for example. I am trying to think hard about whether celebrities really did too much to break barriers before [name]Rumer[/name] [name]Willis[/name] was born, unless one was a rock star, like [name]Frank[/name] Zappa in particular, or [name]Bob[/name] Geldof. I think all the Beatles’ children had normal names. [name]Zak[/name] is kind of new-fangled but not too crazy. [name]Stella[/name]. ? Someone may have better examples that predate [name]Rumer[/name].

Good topic. I love thinking about this stuff.

In response to [name]Karen[/name]…

[name]Satchel[/name] O’[name]Sullivan[/name] - 1987 - [name]Mia[/name] Farrow and [name]Woody[/name] [name]Allen[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Bing[/name] [name]Jamie[/name] [name]Alfreda[/name] [name]Leonora[/name] Quick [name]Kit[/name] - 1984 - [name]Bill[/name] Nighy (Ha!)
[name]Dominik[/name] [name]Cristina[/name] - 1983 - [name]Andy[/name] [name]Garcia[/name]
[name]Fuchsia[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Sumner[/name] - 1982 - Sting & [name]Frances[/name] Tomelty
[name]Calico[/name] - 1981 - [name]Alice[/name] [name]Cooper[/name] and [name]Sheryl[/name] [name]Cooper[/name]
Bam - 1979 - [name]Phil[/name] and [name]April[/name] Margera
[name]Cisco[/name] [name]Sam[/name] - 1978 - [name]Lou[/name] Adler and [name]Phyllis[/name] [name]Somer[/name]
[name]Dhani[/name] - 1978 - [name]George[/name] [name]Harrison[/name]
Kansas [name]Anne[/name] - 1978 - [name]David[/name] Carradine and [name]Linda[/name] [name]Gilbert[/name]
[name]Moses[/name] [name]Amadeus[/name] - 1978 - [name]Mia[/name] Farrow and [name]Woody[/name] [name]Allen[/name]
[name]Ky[/name]-[name]Mani[/name] - 1976 - [name]Bob[/name] [name]Marley[/name] and [name]Anita[/name] Belnavis
[name]Elvis[/name] - 1976 - [name]Anthony[/name] [name]Perkins[/name] and [name]Berry[/name] Berenson
Chudney [name]Lane[/name] - 1975 - [name]Diana[/name] [name]Ross[/name]
[name]Ever[/name] [name]Dawn[/name] - 1974 - [name]Robert[/name] Carradine and [name]Susan[/name] [name]Marie[/name] Snyder
[name]Fletcher[/name] Farrow - 1974 - [name]Mia[/name] Farrow and [name]Andre[/name] Previn
[name]Oz[/name] - 1974 - [name]Anthony[/name] [name]Perkins[/name] and [name]Berry[/name] Berenson
[name]Karis[/name] - 1970 - [name]Mick[/name] [name]Jagger[/name] and [name]Marsha[/name] [name]Hunt[/name]
[name]Chimene[/name] A. - 1970 - [name]Emilio[/name] [name]Diaz[/name] and [name]Billie[/name] [name]Diaz[/name] ([name]Cameron[/name]'s 'rents)

Some of these are pretty interesting, and I like how we see some trends (surnames, boys names on girls, colors, patterns, occupations) in the days of old. Interestingly, celebrity baby names that seemed so original, [name]Moses[/name] [name]Bruce[/name] [name]Anthony[/name] ([name]Gwyneth[/name] Paltrow and [name]Chris[/name] [name]Martin[/name]) and [name]Ever[/name] [name]Gabo[/name] ([name]Milla[/name] Jovovich), have actually been used by celeb parents before!

Bam Margera (son to [name]April[/name] and [name]Phil[/name]) name is actually [name]Brandon[/name]. Unless he had it legally changed. His birthname is [name]Brandon[/name] [name]Cole[/name] Margera. Sorry just wanted to point that out,

But i do agree and disagree. I think that people are (and this sounds terrible but its true) more likely to overlook and think little to nothing about a very beautiful women with a weird name however is a normal plain jane with a weird name popped up most people would be put off by it.

I cant help but wonder if celebritys feel like they should give their children odd names. Liek they think in celebrity babyland that they wont fit in with a name like [name]Julia[/name] or [name]Michael[/name]. Not to say this is the case with all celebritys, i would say with the younger celebritys is where that happens.

But i think the biggest aspect of naming is personality and confidance. If you really like a name no matter how weird and feel very confident that your child has a good name you will stand by it regaurdless of what people say. And unfortunatly MOST (and i say most cause deffinatly not all) celebritys have a “im better then everyone else” complex and have this confidence branded into them.

I have also wondered is these are their childrensreal names or its for publicty. Liek i read that [name]Ashlee[/name] and [name]Pete[/name] Wentz son [name]Bronx[/name] [name]Mowgli[/name], may have a real name it may have been used as a decoy. While i doubt this, i think most totally out there names that have no sentiment behind them (i.e. [name]Pilot[/name] Inspektor) is more about, oh well i’ll get interviewed, or a story if we throw somethign weird out there.

Or in reality, some celebritys could really just be messing with everyone. Tell the media they named their child Linen Pajama [name]Rose[/name] [name]Lion[/name] when she really has the name [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Michelle[/name]. [name]Just[/name] for a good laugh. Or because celebritys feel as though they should give their kids weird name, cause lets be honest we all expect it and are surprised when normal names come along.

Now while i know not all celebritys give their kids weird names, i think was i said above pretty much catorgorizes those who do.

I linked a couple videos to one of the recent blogs on celebrity names about how [name]Penn[/name] [name]Jillette[/name] (and his wife) came up with [name]Moxie[/name] CrimeFighter - and also his son, Zolten [name]Penn[/name].

Basically, what we’re reading into the name [name]Moxie[/name] CrimeFighter, and [name]Pilot[/name] Inspektor while I’m at it, is that they are called this every day, or [name]Bronx[/name] [name]Mowgli[/name], they’re really [name]Moxie[/name] and [name]Pilot[/name] and [name]Bronx[/name], not that terrible. CrimeFighter was given to [name]Moxie[/name] [name]Jillette[/name] as [name]Penn[/name] [name]Jillette[/name] had written a novel, in which a character said, “from now on, call me CrimeFighter,” and his accompanist (not Teller) suggested that for a name. His wife doesn’t have a middle name, and thinks they’re stupid and don’t matter, basically, and if [name]Moxie[/name] doesn’t like it when she’s older, she can change it. He claims it was his wife’s idea to put that in the middle. The name [name]Moxie[/name] comes from the soda, his ties to New [name]England[/name], where [name]Moxie[/name] is still popular, his love for his mother who didn’t live to see [name]Moxie[/name] born, for the quality of having a singular name no one else in the room will have, and for the empowerment of the derived meaning of [name]Moxie[/name] as it follows from the old slogan for the soda, meaning confidence for his daughter. The name Zolten is reportedly his wife’s maiden name (which is also now her middle name). I have no idea how attractive or unattractive these children are, but I get from this that celebrities choose names for the same reasons the rest of us do. If [name]Elisabeth[/name] Hasselbeck is kind of a bland-flavored, regular kind of woman, or [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Michelle[/name] Gellar, and use names like [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name], you don’t necessarily say that’s got celebrity Zing!, that’s just their taste, while some people are more flamboyant and have more flamboyant preferences, like the Jillettes.

He didn’t get famous for being shy and keeping his opinions to himself, and thinking that a name should be tasteful necessarily, or untasteful - it’s more tasteful to him to have a unique moniker than blend in with the crowd, see the second video, re: naming your kid [name]Dave[/name].

CAUTION: EXTREME LANGUAGE

I think it follows the confidence celebrities have to persevere in a field where they crave and get a lot of attention, to make bolder choices, and to make creative choices. They also understand their children are likely to associate with the children of other celebrities in their circle of friends, although in the second video, [name]Penn[/name] [name]Jillette[/name] describes having two different friends who named their daughter [name]Ava[/name]. Their children mostly will go to private schools with other creative types and no one will laugh at their names, as well as have a different, less conformist, foundation in their upbringing. If a girl’s middle name was CrimeFighter in your child’s school, you probably wouldn’t laugh at her or her parents because you wouldn’t know about it, i.e. people worry too much about middle names, so what’s wrong with CrimeFighter? Likewise [name]Pilot[/name] and [name]Bronx[/name] aren’t too bad on their own (not really my style, but I think they’re rather mild examples of “weird”), it’s when people pay too much attention to their middle names as a package deal that they sound too outrageous.