Abby/Abbie?

Some of the names I’d seriously consider using for a baby girl come with the (probably) inevitable nickname Abby/Abbie. I actually love [name_u]Abby[/name_u], but the reactions I get always seem to be somewhat negative but the reasons given for why people dislike [name_u]Abby[/name_u] are vague/nonspecific.
Is [name_u]Abby[/name_u] really that bad? I know that popular names aren’t always people’s thing, but am I missing something else? Is there a particularly bad association? A weird image you get from this name? Sounds like something rude?
I have no idea, so I’m hoping that I can have some help :heart:
Thanks!

I love [name_u]Abby[/name_u], even though I (slightly) prefer the [name_u]Abbey[/name_u] spelling! I can’t think of any rude associations that ruin the name— maybe it’s just the popularity or the overused sounds that people dislike? I can’t think of anything; I think it would be less used if there was one. Sort of how [name_f]Alexa[/name_f] dropped because of Amazon’s [name_f]Alexa[/name_f]— the same would have happened to Abby/Abbie/Abbey etc. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_u]Abby[/name_u] isn’t bad at all! I’m shocked to hear that people consistently think it is! I’ve never heard any averse opinions of the name, nor do I hold any. [name_u]Abby[/name_u] is perfectly lovely. I love [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] as well, and the [name_u]Abbey[/name_u] spelling mentioned above is inspiring! All are grand.

2 Likes

Its common but mostly thats a good thing :laughing: Maybe you’re asking people who dislike common names?

1 Like

The popularity thing totally makes sense. And I never even thought of the [name_u]Abbey[/name_u] spelling being a usable name! That’s so beautiful and gives the name a more classic feel :heart: Thank you for this!

1 Like

I’m so glad you think Abby is lovely! It really is :heart: I’m also a big fan of Abigail, it’s one of the names on my list :star_struck:

Could definitely be that! :laughing::sweat_smile:

I like it. I don’t think it has an overly negative reputation, I just think the more popular a name is/was the more likely people are to have a negative association with it simply because they are more likely to have met multiple people with the name.

2 Likes

[name_u]Abby[/name_u] is lovely!

1 Like

[name_u]Abby[/name_u] isn’t bad - a familiar and friendly nickname!

1 Like

I love [name_u]Abby[/name_u] x

1 Like

I’ve never heard of anything bad about [name_u]Abby[/name_u], it’s nice

1 Like

I love Abby!!! I especially love it as a nn for [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] or [name_u]Abilene[/name_u] (love [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] personally!), but it’s also good as a standalone

my ranking of the spellings is

[name_u]Abby[/name_u] > [name_u]Abi[/name_u] > [name_u]Abbey[/name_u] > [name_f]Abbi[/name_f] > [name_u]Abbie[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_f]Abigail[/name_f] is one of my top favorites of all times.
[name_u]Abby[/name_u] is such a sweet nickname for it. As a standalone, it would find it a little strange.
I grew up with an [name_u]Abby[/name_u], so many fond memories.

1 Like

I don’t get why it’s hated at all, nothing wrong with it in my opinion. Maybe it’s seen as a little dated by some? If people are giving vague reasons it’s probably just personal preference, which is always a much better scenario than “it reminds me of a serial killer/feminine hygiene product/that awful tv character” etc

1 Like