Ada vs. Ava do they have a different "feel"?

They are only one letter off, yet to me they have a different feel. After seeing [name]Ada[/name] in a post, and the way I view that name, I wanted to get opinions from others. To me, [name]Ava[/name] has a glamour girl, almost more modern feel (perhaps thats because its being used so much on little girls). And [name]Ada[/name], imo feels like it belongs on a senior citizen, it also feels very foreign maybe german? Anyway would love to hear thoughts on if [name]Ada[/name] and [name]Ava[/name] feel similiar in style etc…

Also while we are on the topic of [name]Ava[/name], do you think that [name]EVA[/name] (pronounced with the hard E sound) and [name]AVA[/name] are similiar in feel (same question as above)

I say [name]Ada[/name] with a short A and [name]Ava[/name] with a long A, so they aren’t just one letter different.

What is a “hard E sound”? I know long and short E, but I thought only consonants could be hard or soft? There are three ways to say [name]Eva[/name] that I know of - eeva (long E; the pronuncation I use, because it’s [name]Eve[/name] with an A), ayva (long A, sounds like [name]Ava[/name], Northern European pronunciation) and evva (short E; Spanish pronunciation). Which are you referring to?

[name]Ava[/name], to me, is modern, youthful, and glamorous. [name]Ada[/name], to me, is vintage, classic, and sweet. [name]Both[/name] are great! And, I say [name]Ava[/name] as [AY-vuh], as in it rhymes with “save,” and [name]Ada[/name] as [[name]AH[/name]-dah), as in it rhymes with “have.” [name]Eva[/name], to me, is romantic, sophisticated, and slightly exotic - I like it most pronounced basically like [name]Ava[/name], but the [EE-vah] pronunciation is fine, too.

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I agree with [name]Lemon[/name] on everything except I pronounce [name]Ada[/name] Ay-da (like [name]Ava[/name] with a d). I like [name]Ava[/name] most out of the three (I love it), with [name]Ada[/name] a close second. I don’t love [name]Eva[/name], but I like it. One thing I think is weird though is that a lot of people are turning to [name]Eva[/name] or [name]Ada[/name] as an alternative to [name]Ava[/name] because of it’s popularity. To me, that’s insane- they sound way to close for me to consider one over another because of popularity.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone! You made a very good point daisy. I recently heard a woman call out [name]Ala[/name]…it sounded so close to [name]Ava[/name], I had to stop and wait to see if I had heard right…sure enough she called her daughter again and I was right, it was [name]Ala[/name]!!!

Im sorry about describing [name]Eva[/name] as a hard e…I meant to say that [name]Eva[/name] pronounced as in [name]Adam[/name] and [name]Eve[/name]…so the real E sound.

As far as [name]Ada[/name] and [name]Ava[/name]…I would love to hear more thoughts from nameberries… :slight_smile:

[name]Plato[/name], your thoughts on [name]Ava[/name] vs. [name]Ada[/name] mirror mine exactly. I think [name]Eva[/name] retains the glamour but adds a continental vibe, a la [name]Eva[/name] Longoria and [name]Eva[/name] Peron. (and [name]Eva[/name] [name]Braun[/name]. Bad example!)

I like both names. [name]Ada[/name] is my top choice for a daughter, with the ay-dah or long a pronunciation. [name]Ava[/name] is cute too, but seems common.