Adaline or Adeline?

See the results of this poll: Which spelling?

Respondents: 40 (This poll is closed)

• Adaline : 10 (25%)
  • Adeline: 30 (75%)

I love the name [name_f]Ada[/name_f], so it’s option as a nn for [name_f]Adaline[/name_f] nudges me that way. I love the namesakes that [name_f]Ada[/name_f] bring in. I also generally prefer less popular names, but also more intuitive spellings. [name_f]Adaline[/name_f] is still less popular, but the Age of [name_f]Adaline[/name_f] has made that spelling more intuitive. From my point of view, it’s really the best of both worlds.

I like that [name_f]Adaline[/name_f] reminds me of the film (which I loved!), but I feel like [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] would be less of a headache to spell–it’s much more common. Plus, my beloved [name_f]Della[/name_f] is much more obvious as a nn for [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]. :slight_smile: And I feel like [name_f]Adaline[/name_f] is more like AY-dah-line and not like [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]? Not that it is, but it feels like it should be. But I do love the look of the “A” there–it makes the name softer, fuller, more of an enchanting purple feel about her. [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] also feels purple to me, but the first “E” somehow dilutes it. I don’t know. I’m going with [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] haha.

Honestly, I pronounce them completely different, so they’re basically different names for me.
[name_f]Adaline[/name_f] “[name_m]Ah[/name_m]-dah-line”
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f] “A-duh-linn”

Unfortunately neither of those are the pronunciation I like! I prefer the pronunciation in the movie: [name_m]Ad[/name_m]-uh-line

I prefer [name_f]Adeline[/name_f], as it seems the most natural and authentic spelling.

I would pronounce them each completely differently, too; [name_f]Adaline[/name_f] would be “AY-duh-line” and [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] “[name_m]AD[/name_m]-uh-leen”.

In any case, it’s a lovely name!

I say [name_f]Adaline[/name_f] like the name [name_f]Ada[/name_f] with line at the end, and I say [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] like [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] (not [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f]) without the M.

I prefer [name_f]Adaline[/name_f] partly because I love the nn [name_f]Ada[/name_f] but also because I feel it more intuitively leads to the pronounciation that you prefer. Either way it is a lovely name.

I prefer [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]. I pronounce them both the same.