Adelaide VS Adelaine, honest opinion pls :)

[name]Adelaine[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] is lovely, and I think it has a better flow than [name]Adelaide[/name]. [name]Both[/name] are great choices though!

I think that if she was frequently called [name]Laine[/name] or [name]Lainey[/name], and introduced herself as such, she would have less to explain about her name being [name]Adelaine[/name] and not [name]Adelaide[/name]. That being said, if she went by [name]Addy[/name], I think she would have more explaining to do as people would expect to hear [name]Adelaide[/name].

I often think about names as which I would prefer having as my own. In this case, I’d much rather be an [name]Adelaide[/name]. It has a stronger history of use, is recognizable without being overly popular, and wears equally well on all ages and stages. Those are my own preferences, however. I think an [name]Adelaine[/name] would have to deal with a lot of, “No, not [name]Madeline[/name]/[name]Madeleine[/name]/[name]Adeline[/name]/[name]Elaine[/name]. It’s [name]Adelaine[/name],” moments.

I absolutely [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name]. Its so beautiful, elegant and underused. I love it and hope you use it. :slight_smile:

There were 59 girls named Adelaine on the 1881 England census and familysearch has several examples of Adelaines on the 1930 US census, if that helps.

I love [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]… see my signature :-). If you plan to mostly call her [name_f]Addy[/name_f], anyways, which is very soft, I wouldn’t worry too much about the harshness of [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. Chances are it will mostly be used on paper.

i would go for [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] over [name_f]Adelaine[/name_f], which just makes me think that you left the “m” off of [name_f]Madelaine[/name_f]. I do like [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], but if the “d” and “laid” part bother you, then go for [name_f]Adeline[/name_f].

This is a thread from a year ago, can a mod close it please?

I prefer [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. Actually when I read the title I thought it was [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] vs [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] and I bet [name_f]Adelaine[/name_f] would be confused for [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] a lot.

I actually prefer [name_f]Adelaine[/name_f].
I don’t particularly care if this is an older thread, names are always relevant and if this was closed I would never have come across the relevant teasing potential of “laid” in [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. Some things I can’t unsee and the criticism is on point.

Personally I prefer [name_f]Adelaine[/name_f]. It’s just more my style.

But for what it’s worth, I don’t think the whole laid thing in [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] will ever really become a problem. I never even noticed it until you pointed it out.