Adelaide VS Adelaine, honest opinion pls :)

[name]Hi[/name] Berries!

Ok, so I’m almost 37 weeks and I’m pretty sure this is the name for my little princess :slight_smile:
However, my only reservation is that I find the “d” in [name]Adelaide[/name] a little harsh. And I’m
not sure about having “laid” in my daughter’s name (for future teasing purposes). I do like
the nn “addy”. I just felt [name]Adelaine[/name] sounded softer and would also lend itself to the nn “lainey”
which I really like. My only concern is that I think this name is a made up name and not
a real name with a real meaning (which deters me). Her mn will be [name]Scarlett[/name]. What do you think
about these two names, honestly (because she has to live with this forever!)

Thanks so much Berries :slight_smile:

[name]Raegan[/name]

I happen to like [name]Adelaide[/name] and I agree that [name]Adelaine[/name] seems made up.

Some alternatives to [name]Adelaide[/name]:
[name]Elaine[/name]
[name]Adele[/name]
[name]Adela[/name]
[name]Elena[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Aislin[/name]
[name]Madeleine[/name]

I really like [name]Adelaide[/name], and you are right that of the two, it feels like the more legit name. I’ve never thought of the “laid” teasing potential! I tend to think that it is a familiar enough name that kids would just accept it, though you can never be sure. Other options you might like:

Adelaisa (found this on a medieval names website…though it may also get accused of sounding made-up)
[name]Adora[/name]
[name]Ada[/name]

I prefer [name]Adelaide[/name] as well. [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] is very pretty.

Some other [name]Adelaide[/name]-esque suggestions:
[name]Adelais[/name]
Adelena
[name]Adelicia[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
Adelysia

I prefer [name]Adelaide[/name]. [name]Adelaine[/name] looks like a unique version of [name]Madeleine[/name] which is a lovely name.

[name]Adelaine[/name] is totally not made up! Not at all, I used to come across it on medieval census records quite often, I think it’s beautiful and soft.

Yep, [name]Adelaine[/name]'s legit. I actually really like it! [name]Lainey[/name] is a great nickname, and I think it’s a little more interesting than [name]Adelaide[/name]. You might also like Aleydis, [name]Adelais[/name] (the last syllable is pronounced like “lay”) or [name]Adeline[/name].

[name]Adelaine[/name] may not be made up but it kind of sounds like it is, because [name]Adelaide[/name] is well known and [name]Adelaine[/name] isn’t. Also, she will probably have to correct people a LOT.

I like them both. I have considered [name]Adelaide[/name] and it has never occurred to me that “laid” was in it.

The only thing I don’t like about [name]Adelaide[/name] is that [name]Addy[/name] is such an intuitive nn for it, since I think it’s a very overused nn.

The cool thing about [name]Adelaine[/name] is you can use [name]Laine[/name] as a nn. And [name]Adelais[/name], you can use [name]Laia[/name], which is pretty.

I also really like Aleydis.

Really all of these names are very nice and I don’t think you can go wrong.

Thanks Berries for the input! It’s true if I do pick [name]Adelaine[/name] she will probably have to correct people constantly. At least I
have a “tad” longer to decide :wink:

I would go with [name]Adelaide[/name].

Have you thought about [name]Delaine[/name], or [name]Delaina[/name] (Dalaina), prounced De-lane-ah? If you like the nickname [name]Lainey[/name], and you could use it instead of [name]Addie[/name], I think it could work quite well. [name]Delaina[/name] in particular seems like it could be a rearrangement of [name]Adelaine[/name].

And a little [name]Delaina[/name] (Dalaina) [name]Scarlett[/name] would be divine! I also think it would be a substantial name she could grow with.

I like [name]Adelaide[/name] much better too. I don’t think the “D” sounds harsh, and I don’t think teasing would be an issue. [name]Addy[/name] is cute!

I think [name]Adelaine[/name] sounds made up. But for some reason, Adelaina doesn’t…

I like both. You should be fine either way.

It’s a hard choice, to be honest. [name]Adelaine[/name] is beautiful, but it does sound invented, or worse, like a typo. I like the suggestions of [name]Adeline[/name] and [name]Elena[/name] as ways to the nn [name]Lainey[/name]. [name]Elena[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] especially has a soft, rich, beautiful sound.

[name]Adelaide[/name] and call her [name]Addy[/name]. If you call her [name]Addy[/name] no one will think of the other connotation. I know what you mean about kids and teasing. My son is named [name]Mateo[/name] and his peers seem to say “Matato - as in Potato”. I also like [name]Adele[/name], but I know that is going to be equated with the singer now for a while.

I adore [name]Adelaine[/name] and much prefer it to [name]Adelaide[/name]. [name]Love[/name] that you can have NN [name]Addy[/name] or [name]Lainey[/name].

I wouldn’t say [name]Adelaine[/name] isn’t legitimate… I don’t know for sure as I haven’t done really any research at all, but it seems to follow naming traditions and it doesn’t strike me as made-up. While [name]Adelaide[/name] is pretty, it seems overdone and overrated to me. I like [name]Adeline[/name] much more, which is probably why [name]Adelaine[/name] appeals to me more. [name]Both[/name] [name]Addy[/name] and [name]Lainey[/name] are really cute for nns, [name]Adelaine[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] is lovely, and [name]Adelaine[/name] is really unusual, with a familiar nn. The best of all worlds, imo. :slight_smile:

My best friend has a daughter named Avelaine–at first I found it quite weird and very much an acquired taste, but now I love it. Sometimes she goes by [name]Lainey[/name], sometimes Miette (her French nn–it means “little crumb” I think), but mostly she’s just Avelaine, or her Maori mn, [name]Anah[/name]!ra. Avelaine’s adorable, so I can see [name]Adelaine[/name] working just as well, I think it would be a marvelous choice. Then again, I’m quite biased. :slight_smile:

I think [name]Adelaine[/name] sounds so much softer , and is not made up, as said by other posters it is regularly found on census record

e.g Finds from 1842 - British Baby Names

I get the ‘laid’ thing with [name]Adelaide[/name] too and love the nicknames [name]Ada[/name], elaine and lainey for [name]Adelaine[/name] .

I personally think its beautiful .

I really like [name]Adelaine[/name] actually.