Adelaide vs Adele vs Adelia vs Della

[name]Just[/name] wondering which of the above names is your favourite and why? I like all 4, which come from the same root and all mean nobel. Such a lovely meaning :slight_smile: But I can’t pick my fav version so was hoping your opinions might help!

[name]Adelaide[/name] - this is number 567 in the US and is the most popular in the US of the 4 names, however only 40 were born in the UK in 2008 placing it at no. 827. This one’s lovely but I always think of it as very “American” - maybe not as suited for a British child? Not sure why!

[name]Adele[/name] - the classic version, the most popular of the 4 in the UK. This has not been in the US top 1000 since 1969 but 112 were born in the UK in 2008 placing it at no 465. I’d definitely say this is the most “British” sounding version of the name but then, it’s so well used in [name]Britain[/name] that I know a few my age and it makes it sound boring to me.

[name]Adelia[/name] - the frillier version, sounds Spanish or Italian to me which I like, but I wonder if it’s too over the top? Rarer than the first two choices though, it hasn’t been in the US top 1000 since 1928 and no babies were given the name in the UK in 2008.

[name]Della[/name] - the most unisex and simple sounding version, has a certain charm. Hasn’t been in the US top 1000 names since 1977, only 8 babies were given the name in the UK in 2008.

So which is your favourite version and why?

Obviously there’s no point having all 4 versions on my long list so I’m trying to narrow it down to 1 or 2 :slight_smile:

Thanks!

I can’t really fault any of them, so it was really hard to choose, but I am going to go for [name]Della[/name], because you are right, it does have a certain charm, I see it as a quirkier [name]Bella[/name] and I really love it. It seems like the sort of name that would fit in really well but you would still get a ton of compliments on it. [name]Adelaide[/name] would come in second place, and you could always nickname her [name]Della[/name] :slight_smile:

A similar name that I really like is [name]Delia[/name], I know it doesn’t have the same meaning as the others but I thought I’d suggest it anyway

I like [name]Adele[/name] the most, there was these two little girls that took ballet, I always saw them in their tutus:) Anyway, their names were [name]Rainee[/name] & [name]Adele[/name] (not related) [name]Rainee[/name] would always follow [name]Adele[/name] around and say “[name]Adele[/name]!” in the sweetest way.
I also like [name]Adelaide[/name], because I could call her [name]Adele[/name] or Lady (this is awesome!)

:slight_smile:
[name]Isabel[/name]

Definitely [name]Adelaide[/name]! I really love it and think it has great vintage charm but with a slightly modern sound!

My favorite is definitely [name]Adele[/name], but I think [name]Adela[/name] is even lovelier than all of them.

[name]Adelaide[/name]: It’s a nice name, but not one I’ve ever been particularly fond of. It sounds a little too harsh, and reminds me of ‘lemonade’ for some reason. I can definitely see it on a British child, though it’s always seemed to have more of an Australian feel to me. This is my second favorite on your list.

[name]Adele[/name]: I think [name]Adele[/name] is gorgeous, and it’s my favorite out of the four.

[name]Adelia[/name]: This seems to me like [name]Delia[/name] with an A or [name]Cordelia[/name] with an A, so it seems almost made-up. It’s probably just me, though, since I feel the same way about [name]Amara[/name] ([name]Mara[/name] with an A) and [name]Amaya[/name] ([name]Maya[/name] with an A).

[name]Della[/name]: This is my least favorite out of the four. It seems very nicknamey to me. I much prefer [name]Adela[/name] nn Dela or even [name]Adelaide[/name] or [name]Adele[/name] nn [name]Della[/name].

I like [name]Adelaide[/name] the best from your list as it has a classic old world charm and sounds like a name with both style and substance. I prefer the name [name]Adela[/name] to [name]Adele[/name]. [name]Adela[/name] is more energetic than [name]Adele[/name] which seems too common to me.
[name]Adelia[/name] is ok. [name]Della[/name] just sounds like a nickname and lacks strength.

I think my favorite is [name]Adela[/name] (I know, not on your list), followed by [name]Adele[/name]. With [name]Adela[/name] you can get the nn Dela.

[name]Adele[/name]

[name]Adelaide[/name]: no question for me.
Classic, old-lady cool with a sweet softness.

[name]Adelaide[/name], for the Lady nickname (no [name]Addie[/name] for me!), or maybe even the original [name]Adelheid[/name] for [name]Heidi[/name]!

I’m not in love with [name]Adele[/name] or [name]Adelia[/name], though I do think [name]Adele[/name] is sweet and simple. Someone else mentioned [name]Adela[/name], which I think is absolutely gorgeous, though! And, [name]Della[/name] doesn’t really look like a name to me - it seems too nickname-y…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I like [name]Adelaide[/name] w/a nn [name]Della[/name]! I don’t know why [name]Adelaide[/name] isn’t more popular in the UK… to me, it feels like the type of name that is popular in the UK right now (classic sounding, a bit vintage or even quirky). So, I definitely think it works for you.

[name]Della[/name] is a cute nn!

My favourite has to be [name]Adelaide[/name], for two main reasons :

1. I love options. I would do [name]Heidi[/name] or Lady for [name]Adelaide[/name], personally, but it would also give you the option of still using [name]Adele[/name] or [name]Della[/name], or even [name]Addie[/name]. If one uses [name]Adelaide[/name], the nickname can come later and be chosen to fit the emerging personality of your little one, if one chooses [name]Della[/name] then [name]Della[/name] she shall be. That’s not necessarily a problem, but when you love other parts of the name too, like [name]Adele[/name], why not go for the choice that allows them all?
  2. It rolls of the tongue in a way that makes me enjoy saying, a lot like [name]Caroline[/name]. I actually normally am not fond of the AY sound, as in [name]Grace[/name] or [name]Jaden[/name], and in those names in fact I do find that it sounds American. But [name]Adelaide[/name] seems spunky, vintage, even a little exotic, to me.

I actually didn’t used to like [name]Adele[/name] all that much (I think I thought it dated, as I find say, [name]Irene[/name]), but I met a lovely one and have gradually come around.

[name]Adelia[/name] doesn’t really provoke any sort of feeling in me, to be honest. [name]Adelaide[/name] is a rare A name that I like saying, and an even rarer [name]Ad[/name]- name; for me this one doesn’t have the refinement. Not to over the top, though, in my opinion.

[name]Della[/name] is vintage and soft, and I do like it although I prefer it as a nickname.A possible problem which doesn’t bother me but I thought I should point out would be it being misread as [name]Delia[/name].

I replied on your other thread re. [name]Phoebe[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name] a couple of days ago,

[name]Auburn[/name]

Of your list, I would have to say that I like [name]Adelaide[/name] or [name]Adelia[/name] the best. My mom’s name is [name]Adelina[/name], however…would you ever consider that? We are from [name]Italy[/name] originally (live in the US now), and that name is pretty common there, especially in the area we’re from. Good luck!

Easy choice since I have a 5 yo [name]Adelaide[/name]. There is tons of nicknames for [name]Adelaide[/name] too. You can always use [name]Adele[/name] and [name]Delia[/name] as a nickname, maybe even [name]Della[/name]. It’s just a perfect name in every way.

I think I also prefer [name]Adela[/name] to [name]Adele[/name] (a little plain, [name]IMO[/name]) and [name]Delia[/name] to [name]Adelia[/name] (a bit too made-up sounding). Not sure if it’s on your list, but I also really love [name]Adeline[/name]. Here’s how I’d rank them, starting with my favorites:

[name]Adelaide[/name] (beautiful, although I prefer [name]Adeline[/name])
[name]Adele[/name] (prefer [name]Adela[/name])
[name]Adelia[/name] (prefer [name]Delia[/name])
[name]Della[/name] (the only one I don’t care for–can’t quite put my finger on why)

Good luck!!

[name]Della[/name] is my favorite. Why?

A.) I’ve never heard it before

B.) Anything ending in “ella” ([name]Bella[/name], [name]Estella[/name], [name]Cinderella[/name]) is absolutely gorgeous to me.

C.) The “ella” part is very soft sounding and the “D” balances it out and makes it a little stronger. Perfect.