Adelaide???

I’m really liking [name]Adelaide[/name], it fits all my (many!) requirements, but I look at the groups and blog posts and they’re all Hot Celebrity Names! and it seems like it’s really on the rise, which we don’t want. It;s a place name, will it end up being the next [name]Sydney[/name]? Also, we have to be very careful to stay away from “Celebrity Names” because our oldest daughter, 5, is named [name]Seraphina[/name] ([name]Sera[/name]). Other siblings are [name]Ignatius[/name] ([name]Nate[/name]), [name]Theodore[/name] ([name]Theo[/name]) & [name]Gwendolen[/name] ([name]Gemma[/name]).

This is our frontrunner and I’m having doubts, am I crazy?

Thanks!

[name]Adelaide[/name] is a state of Australia. I like it.

[name]Love[/name] it. I see no celeb claim to it. There is a little old town in central coast california called [name]Adelaide[/name].

I didn’t know that! Thanks!

[name]Adelaide[/name] was our first choice for a girls name and we did end up using it for our first daughter.

It fit all our criteria: we liked how it sounded, we liked its meaning, we agreed on it, it sounded fresh without being too strange and it wasn’t very popular.

Lots of people seem to like it on this site, but so far, I haven’t met another [name]Adelaide[/name] in our area yet (but I’ve met a few babies named [name]Holden[/name], [name]Eli[/name]/[name]Elijah[/name], [name]Asia[/name], etc., so there are names being used a lot, though [name]Adelaide[/name] still doesn’t seem like one of the popular ones). We live in [name]Canada[/name]. My husband, who travels around a bit for work, has met 2 other Adelaides, one was close in age to our daughter, but the other one was a few years older. I have also come across a few other school-aged girls with the name in a few magazines.

I don’t think it is going to be the next [name]Sydney[/name] or [name]Madison[/name] (at least I really hope not) or even [name]Madeleine[/name] (another name we liked, but seemed much more popular than [name]Adelaide[/name]).

I say go for it, especially if it satisfies all your criteria and you both love it. Maybe it will explode in popularity, maybe it won’t. There isn’t any way to know for sure (if you are really concerned about it, you could compare it’s position on the social security names listings from the last few years).

[name]Hi[/name]!

I don’t at all think [name]Adelaide[/name] is anywhere near becoming the next [name]Sydney[/name] - I’ve never met an [name]Adelaide[/name]. I don’t see the celebrity connection, either, but obviously you don’t want to go overboard with “celebaby” names considering your other choices - [name]Seraphina[/name] ([name]Ben[/name] Affleck and [name]Jennifer[/name] [name]Garner[/name]), [name]Ignatius[/name] ([name]Cate[/name] Blanchett), and [name]Theodore[/name] ([name]Bryce[/name] [name]Dallas[/name] [name]Howard[/name]) - all great names, by the way!

Personally, I think something like [name]Adela[/name] would be beautiful with your other names. It has the feminine charm and mystique of both [name]Seraphina[/name] and [name]Gwendolen[/name], if [name]Adelaide[/name] doesn’t work for you. Other alternatives could be [name]Adalia[/name], [name]Adamina[/name], [name]Adeline[/name], and [name]Adora[/name]…

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Thank you [name]Lemon[/name] & bb2duesoon! I love your answers, very helpful and I think it’s just what I needed to hear! I think we’ll be using [name]Adelaide[/name], nn [name]Adele[/name] or one of the many other possibilities!

love it. I like the nicknames [name]Adelle[/name], [name]Ella[/name], [name]Elle[/name], [name]Della[/name], [name]Delilah[/name]!

love it. I like the nicknames [name]Adelle[/name], [name]Ella[/name], [name]Elle[/name], [name]Della[/name], [name]Delilah[/name]!

I met my first [name]Adelaide[/name] this week. She was two and her nickname was [name]Ada[/name]. She is so cute! I say go for it if you love it.

My cousin is called [name]Adelaide[/name]. She is the only one i know or came across with. I love it, i think its very elegant and very much doubt it will become over popular as its been around for centuries and has always remained as far and few between.

You can always keep going round in circles with names…Thats what i am doing right now…At the end of the day, its a lovely timeless name that fits ever so well with the siblings that i wouldnt hesitate

1 Like

I love the name [name]Adelaide[/name]!

It has timeless classic charm, historical value and is one of my all-time favourites!
Go For It!

1 Like

I love [name]Adelaide[/name] and as an Aussie the fact that it is one of our main cities adds to its appeal. To make a really good Aussie combo I would go for [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Matilda[/name].

You ask if it will become the next [name]Sydney[/name] and I am aware that [name]Sydney[/name] is considered a girl’s name in the U.S. but over here where we have the fabulous city of [name]Sydney[/name] NO ONE would consider using the name [name]Sydney[/name] to name a child let alone for a girl. It is considered a boring, old man name, and there will definitely be no revival of the name here.

It’s [name_f]Adélaïde[/name_f]. Not [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]. I love the name but only with the proper accents which is a real setback for us. Being Australian and [name_u]French[/name_u] family we liked it but don’t want the nicknames “addy” as it’s too ADHD Adderoll sounding. LOL
[name_m]Isadore[/name_m] is our second and [name_f]Margaux[/name_f]. What did you decide in the end?