Adeline Pronunciation

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]
I love the name [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] pronounce A-de-leen or A-de-lin rather than a-de-[name_f]Line[/name_f]. I know if I want the IN sound, I could simply use [name_f]Adelyn[/name_f] but I like the way [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] looks. I think is cuter & sweeter. :slight_smile:

What do you guys think? Is it ok if I spell it [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] but pronounce it with IN sound instead of [name_f]LINE[/name_f] sound? :confused:

[name_u]Baby[/name_u] Name: [name_f]ADELINE[/name_f] [name_f]SOFIA[/name_f]

Itā€™s the same as [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] and the other names that end in line- the pronunciation depends on the region where you live and who is saying the name. There might be some confusion on how itā€™s said, but overall I think itā€™s totally fine to use the [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] spelling.

I live in the USA (NJ). I think lots of people will pronounce it with the [name_f]LINE[/name_f] sound.
Like @Adelina_Sophia said [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] looses it sparkle for me too when pronounced with the [name_f]LINE[/name_f]. :frowning:
Im going to be doing lots of corrections! LOL :smiley:

I think itā€™s fine to still go with the ā€œineā€ ending, it certainly looks lovely on the name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] get used to the fact that at doctorā€™s offices, schools, etc. everyone will need to be corrected at first. If that doesnā€™t make you crazy, go for it! If you think thatā€™s going to get old after awhile, you could change the spelling.
For A-de-leen you could use the spelling ā€œAdeleneā€ which also looks pretty and suggests a different vowel sound.
For A-de-lin you could use the spelling ā€œ[name_f]Adelyn[/name_f]ā€ since the ā€œlynā€ chunk will show people how to pronounce it.

Totally up to you. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] name!!

I live in [name_u]Jersey[/name_u] too and I would pronouce it A-de-line or A-de -[name_f]Lin[/name_f]. I agree that I like it the [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] spelling with the A-de-lin pronunciation. I know a few [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] said Ma-de-lin and Carolines said Ca-ro-lin in the area so I think you will be fine with any spelling you choose.

Btw [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] is beautiful!

I live in the Northwest U.S. and would assume [name_m]Ad[/name_m]-a-lin, like [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f] without the M; people like to keep their vowels very short here. I canā€™t tell if everyone means they prefer it with a long A, like [name_f]Ada[/name_f]. To me, [name_m]Ad[/name_m]-a-line sounds terrible, like ā€œyouā€™re outta line.ā€

I say it [name_m]Add[/name_m]-a-line

I would pronounce it ā€˜[name_m]Ah[/name_m]-du-lineā€™. I do think itā€™s a regional pronunciation thing sort of like [name_f]Caroline[/name_f]. I am in the southern US. You could go with the ā€˜[name_f]Adelyn[/name_f]ā€™ spelling but itā€™s not as pretty to me. I think when you correct people once, they will say it correctly going forward especially once they hear you call her. [name_m]Just[/name_m] depends on your tolerance for such things. Personally, it wouldnā€™t bother meā€¦

I live in the USA and would say it like [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] (like the book/show ā€œthe smallest one was madelineā€) without the M, so [name_m]Add[/name_m]-ih-line

I have a tendency to pronounce -line names as -[name_f]LINE[/name_f] rather than -[name_u]LYN[/name_u] but if I meet an [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] or an [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] who pronounces her name as [name_f]Adelyn[/name_f] and [name_f]Emmelyn[/name_f], I will remember it.

A-de-leen

I would say [name_f]Adaline[/name_f] ([name_f]Ada[/name_f]-[name_f]Line[/name_f])

If you live in [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u] the vast, vast majority of people are going to pronounce it as [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-de-[name_f]LINE[/name_f] with that spelling. Itā€™s the only way I have ever heard it pronounced. Sheā€™ll be destined for a lifetime of correcting people. Oddly I would pronounce [name_f]Aveline[/name_f] differently (ah-ve-leen), but I donā€™t know about other people. [name_f]Adalene[/name_f] could fetch the pronunciation youā€™re after, but I get it - itā€™s not the same name

Iā€™d pronounce it [name_m]Add[/name_m]-a-leen, but there will always be somebody who pronounces it differently, so there will always be somebody you have to correct. It depends how much that bothers you, like previous posters have said. Perhaps this could be helped slightly if you used [name_f]Addie[/name_f] or [name_f]Ada[/name_f] as a nickname?:slight_smile:

I love this name. Although I much prefer the ad-a-leen pronunciation, I would probably assume it was pronounced [name_m]Ad[/name_m]-a-line if I saw it on paper since it is the most common pronunciation of the name. I also think that the nickname [name_f]Ada[/name_f] is adorable.

[name_m]Add[/name_m] uh line.

I would recommend [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] pronounced [name_m]Ad[/name_m] - uh - line, because I personally like it better pronounced that way, and because it is the most common way to pronounce it.*

Adeline [name_f]Sofia[/name_f] is absolutey beautiful.

*[name_m]Ad[/name_m] - uh - line is the most common way to pronounce it in the U.S. The most common pronounciation varies, depending on where you live.