Adeline vs. Adalyn??

See the results of this poll: How would you pronounce Adeline… & do you therefore prefer Adalyn?

Respondents: 37 (This poll is closed)

• Adeline pronounced “Ad-A-Lyn” : 3 (8%)
  • Adeline pronounced “Ad-A-Line” : 27 (73%)
  • Adeline pronounced “Ad-A-Line” - therefore, I prefer Adalyn spelling: 7 (19%)

If you like the prn “ad-a-lyn” then I’d go with [name]Adalyn[/name], [name]Adelyn[/name], Adalyne, Adelyne or [name]Adalin[/name] (although the later looks too much like Aladin). [name]Adeline[/name] is similar to [name]Madeline[/name] so most people will pronounce it like it’s spelled. I would keep “[name]Ad[/name]-A-[name]Lyn[/name]'s” name spelled simple though :slight_smile:

To me, [name]Adeline[/name] looks like it is prn. ad-uh-line(like “I’ll add a line to my drawing”) or like [name]Madeline[/name](the french girl in the kid’s books) without the M. I think [name]Adeline[/name] looks much prettier than [name]Adalyn[/name], and I think [name]Adeline[/name] can be prn ad-uh-lyn if you want to. Good luck!

I’d automatically say the pronunciaton [name]Ada[/name]-[name]Line[/name], and I prefer the spelling [name]Adeline[/name] either pronunciation.

I’ve noticed that -lyn endings have a way of making names seem juvenile, with the exception of [name]Evelyn[/name].
[name]Adeline[/name] [name]Rose[/name] is lovely.

Adeline should always be pronounced as “line” unless you’re French and then it’s “leen”. I don’t know anyone who pronounces it with a “lyn” ending. Adalyn/Adelyn are modern trendy inventions and aren’t very appealing in look or sound to me. They’re more like Madelyn with the “m” chopped off.

[name]Adeline[/name] to me would be pronounced with the “line” ending, not the lyn. I actually like both pronunciations a lot. I have [name]Madelyn[/name] [name]Rose[/name] on my list and [name]Adeline[/name](line ending) until a friend used [name]Adelyn[/name]. I might still use [name]Madelyn[/name] though.

I’d pronounce [name]Adeline[/name] something between [name]Ade[/name]-leen and [name]Ade[/name]-lyn. It’s such a pretty name. [name]Adeline[/name] looks so much better than [name]Adelyn[/name] [name]IMO[/name]. Go with [name]Adeline[/name] and choose whatever pronunciation you prefer:)

Exactly this, I totally agree.

I pronounce [name]Adeline[/name] ah-duh-leen. From my understanding [name]Adeline[/name] is pronounced with the ‘LEEN’ ending. [name]Adaline[/name] is pronounced with the ‘[name]LINE[/name]’ rhymes with wine ending. If you want the a-duh-lyn pronounciation I would spell it [name]Adalyn[/name].

I say [name]Ad[/name]-uh-lyn and I think the [name]Adeline[/name] spelling fine and looks so much better! I know several [name]Caroline[/name]'s that pronounce their name [name]Caro[/name]-lyn not line. I think “line” names are pronounced differently by so many people. I recently watched movie about a girl named [name]Emmeline[/name] and no one pronounced her name the same way some ended her name with “line” some with “leen” and others with “lyn” so I think it is really up to you on which pronunciation you want.

Actually, i pronounce it Adeleen. But I think the line prononciation is most common. I don’t mind the [name]Adelyn[/name] spelling because it makes the pronunciation you want clear (usually, I don’t like to mess with spellings).

I’ve always pronounced it [name]Add[/name]-uh-line. I don’t think I ever thought of it ending with lyn. I agree with previous posters that [name]Adalyn[/name] looks trendee, and a bit messy. I think that [name]Adeline[/name] is a pretty name, and I think that it should be used.

• [name]Athena[/name]

I say [name]ADD[/name]-uh-line, and I prefer it that way. I think [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Rose[/name] is gorgeous! If you do want the lyn ending, I would definitely go with [name]Adelyn[/name] [name]Rose[/name]/[name]Adalyn[/name] [name]Rose[/name].

Good luck!

I say and prefer the prn of [name]Ad[/name] ah leen