Adeline

Is it automatically assumed that [name]Adeline[/name] is pronouned “[name]Add[/name]-a-line”? Is there another way of spelling it to make it sound like [name]Madeline[/name] without the “M”? Thanks!

I love [name]Adeline[/name]! You’ve spelled it correctly, and personally, I don’t recommend changing the authentic spelling of a name, as it simply makes it look misspelled. :slight_smile: If you’re worried about pronunciation issues, [name]Adelaide[/name] and [name]Adelia[/name] are some more options. I think [name]Adeline[/name]'s a lovely choice! :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you!

[name]Madeline[/name] makes me instinctively say MAD-a-line. The book [name]Madeline[/name] doesn’t rhyme as it should if said mad-a lynn or mad-a len (which are two distinct and seperate sounds for me, apparently not everyone though). The song, after all is “Sweet [name]Add[/name]-a -line”, so most people instinctively say add-a-line for [name]Adeline[/name]. I would rather it said like that myself, anyway. Why would you want to change the pronunciation?

If the sound turns you off, I like [name]Jill[/name]'s suggestions of [name]Adelaide[/name] and [name]Adela[/name]. there’s also [name]Adelia[/name], if you’re interested.

I think add-a-line is the most common pronunciation. Personally I do not find it very pretty.

I agree, I am not a fan of the pronunciation [name]Add[/name]-a-[name]Line[/name] as in the song. That is the only reason I would not go with this name. Pronounced [name]Add[/name]-a-[name]LYNN[/name] I love it. But as previous posters have said it is hard to change the intial reaction and I too am not a fan of changing spellings.

Sorry about the pronunciation issue, AngelSmile. :frowning: I pronounce [name]Madeline[/name] mad-e-line (not lynn), so sorry about the confusion!

[name]Adelyn[/name] and [name]Adalyn[/name] are recognized variations of [name]Adeline[/name] here on nameberry. If you love that pronunciation, I don’t see why you can’t use it!

[name]Just[/name] because those variations are recognized, doesn’t mean they’re endorsed/recommended. :slight_smile: All variants are listed if a child’s name has ever been spelled that way (along with misspellings such as [name]Adisynne[/name] and [name]Makayla[/name]). That said, you should use any name you love.

The really bedeviling thing with a name like this, as I’m sure many a [name]Madeline[/name] will tell you, is that even if you spell it [name]Adeline[/name] and pronounce it the “conventional” way, to rhyme with wine and vine, some people will pronounce it add-a-lynn. And probably even add-a-leen and ayd-a-line, lyn, and leen. Spelling it [name]Adelyn[/name] or [name]Adelynn[/name] or [name]Adalyn[/name], which is kind of like [name]Madelyn[/name] or [name]Carolyn[/name], probably would love the pronunciation problem 90 percent of the time but there would still be outliers…

Thank you everyone for your responses!

Plus, I think there is a big difference between choosing a modified version of the name spelled simply, conventionally, or appropriately, and finding a non-traditional way of spelling a name just to pretend it is unique. Addahsynne is absurd, but [name]Adelyn[/name], [name]Adalyn[/name], and [name]Adelia[/name] are quite lovely. [name]Don[/name]'t you think?

Definitely

It certainly is different. I love [name]Adelia[/name], but suppose I associate [name]Adelyn[/name] with [name]Madelyn[/name] (as opposed to [name]Madeleine[/name]).

I [name]LOVE[/name] this name is a beautiful twist of ultra trendy Maddeline!