Advice Q: Dakota For a Girl?

Hello everyone!
I really want to use the name [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] for my new baby girl. [name_f]My[/name_f] grandfather came from [name_u]South[/name_u] [name_u]Dakota[/name_u], so it would be a way to show honor his roots of where he came form. The problem I’m torn with is that I see that some people think [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] is an offensive name due to its Native American roots. I don’t want to offend anyone, I really love the name! (I am also not Native American).

Any opinions, suggestions, thoughts or advice is much appreciated! Thank you! :innocent:

I personally know a young woman named [name_u]Dakota[/name_u], so it doesn’t seem weird to me. Still, I would definitely be weary of choosing such a controversial name. I think that most would be understanding once you explained the reason behind her name!

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

1 Like

I know of two young girls and one boy (now grown) named [name_u]Dakota[/name_u], and I don’t believe they had any issues. None if them are Native American. I think it’s a great name!

3 Likes

I’m not Native American myself, so I’m not the right person to answer this question.
However, I do think you shouldn’t use [name_u]Dakota[/name_u].

2 Likes

None of the [name_u]Dakota[/name_u]’s I’ve known were Native American and no one was offended as far as I know. Online I’ve seen people who are Native American say it’s fine, so … there ya go.

1 Like

I’d suggest asking actual native American people. You could go on reddit at r/NativeAmerican and post your question there

3 Likes

completely agree with @tallemaja! I think you should ask some Native American people their opinions on it. the reddit suggestion is a good one if you don’t know any in real life.
I think your reasoning for wanting to use it is sweet, but I personally wouldn’t want to use a name that could be offensive to anyone. Maybe there is another way to honor him? A variation of his name, his initials, or a specific thing you association with him (like a flower!)?
best of luck to you!!

1 Like

I don’t live in the US, so I wouldn’t really know. But [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] Fanning and [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] [name_m]Johnson[/name_m] don’t seem to have any problems with their names. Personally, I would avoid anything that could potentially be offensive though.

1 Like

I agree with this completely. I’ve met people named [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] who haven’t had trouble but I don’t want to assume that’s because the name truly isn’t controversial, just that maybe people didn’t have a voice/platform to say that it is.

1 Like

All of my indigenous friends think it’s culturally insensitive/an act of appropriation. Same with [name_u]Lakota[/name_u] and [name_u]Nakota[/name_u]. I don’t imagine everyone would share the same view, but knowing that it’s regarded that way or impacts even some native people negatively would be enough for me to not do it.

This is coming from someone whose brother is named [name_u]Dakota[/name_u]. He almost exclusively goes by [name_u]Kody[/name_u]/Kode/Code as an adult now because he feels uncomfortable with his own name given it’s appropriative nature. Like it’s still his name, he isn’t interested in changing it and I don’t think anyone would expect him to, but he also virtually never goes by [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] in full these days.

5 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] cousin named her son [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] and I strongly disagree with it. As an honor name I think it would be ok in the middle but like the Natives have had so much taken from them already, even if you “can do it” I don’t think it would be kind. Instead of asking "would this cause problems for my child " I think the question should be “would this hurt or negatively impact someone in the native community” and the answer is absolutely yes.

5 Likes

I had no idea that the name [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] was potentially controversial to use. I thought that it had become a name in its own right, but I understand the worry. I’d second the suggestion to ask people of Native American descent. I grew up with a couple of Dakotas who were boys, but I like the name for a girl, like [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] Fanning.

1 Like