Aemon or Amon??

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] berries,

Wondering what others think of the name [name_m]Amon[/name_m] (could also be spelled Aemon), pronounced Ay-Mon? Still trying to brain storm boys names that might work with big sister [name_f]Julia[/name_f] and last name [name_m]Peterson[/name_m]. Thanks for any input!

I would stick to the [name_m]Eamon[/name_m] spelling. [name_m]Amon[/name_m] and Aemon just look off to me. You said that you’re brainstorming, so here are a few ideas for [name_f]Julia[/name_f]'s brother.

[name_m]Dominic[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
[name_u]Owen[/name_u]
[name_m]Stephen[/name_m]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Quentin[/name_m]
[name_m]Marcus[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m]
[name_m]Joseph[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Duncan[/name_m]
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u]
[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]David[/name_m]

I really like [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_u]Owen[/name_u] and [name_u]Emmett[/name_u]! Thanks!

I love this name, but the correct spelling (to me) is [name_m]Eamon[/name_m]. I don’t like your other spellings at all. [name_m]Eamon[/name_m] to me is strong, masculine and has a great deal of character. He could be a scholar or an athlete. Great name!

What about [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] or [name_m]Edward[/name_m]? [name_m]Eamon[/name_m] is the Irish equivalent of both of those, and I agree with the pp that since [name_f]Julia[/name_f] is a more traditional name it seems like it fits better with a traditional boys’ name. If you do go with [name_m]Eamon[/name_m] I would definitely use that spelling, or [name_m]Eamonn[/name_m]. Somehow the other two just look awkward to me.

I love the name, but I’d suggest the [name_m]Eamon[/name_m] spelling. On paper, [name_m]Amon[/name_m] looks like it would be pronounced differently, and the Aemon spelling just looks off to me.

[name_m]Eamon[/name_m] is unusual enough without using a spelling from Game of Thrones. It’s not a bad thing to want to give your child a unique name, but try not to go with something that no one will be able to pronounce, or that will get him teased. [name_f]My[/name_f] own name is [name_m]Eamon[/name_m], and there have been times when I wish I had been given a more common name.

Also, I just saw the last name. I would not go with [name_m]Eamon[/name_m] [name_m]Peterson[/name_m], they end in the same sound, and it’s a little odd. [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] or [name_m]Edward[/name_m] would be better.

I also prefer [name_m]Eamon[/name_m]. Aemon looks like a typo/misspelling of [name_m]Eamon[/name_m] to me. [name_f]My[/name_f] second choice would be [name_m]Amon[/name_m]. But [name_m]Eamon[/name_m] and [name_f]Julia[/name_f] look the nicest together.

I prefer [name_m]Eamon[/name_m] to either of those spellings. I agree with a PP who said [name_m]Amon[/name_m] looks like it should be pronounces the same as [name_m]Ammon[/name_m].

[name_m]Amon[/name_m] is also an Egyptian god.