Afton

[name]Evening[/name], all!

Today, I’ve been debating [name]Afton[/name], and how viable it is as an option for us, as a match to our surname.

I’ve loved the name for a VERY long time, so it’s always been there on ‘the list’. The main reason for my love for it is the beautiful [name]Robert[/name] [name]Burn[/name]'s poem ‘Sweet [name]Afton[/name]’, and also the fact that I grew up near the [name]River[/name] [name]Afton[/name] in Ayrshire, [name]Scotland[/name], which the poem is based upon. An added bonus for us would be that FIL is named [name]Robert[/name], and [name]MIL[/name] is [name]Mary[/name], a name referred to throughout the poem. Basically, the name has a lot going for it on a personal level for us.

But… I have some reservations.

Firstly, our surname is [name]Jones[/name]. For some (probably illogical) reason when I say the names together, it sounds very Welsh to me. [name]Afton[/name] [name]Jones[/name]…Hmm. We don’t really have much of a welsh connection, so I’m worried it might seem odd. [name]Afton[/name] isn’t even Welsh I don’t think, but it’s bugging me big time. It’s not a typically Welsh combo a la [name]Myfanwy[/name], [name]Carys[/name] or [name]Bronwen[/name] [name]Jones[/name], but does it scream [name]WALES[/name] to you?? Would really like an outside opinion on this!

Then there’s the fact that there’s no obvious nn for [name]Afton[/name] as far as I can tell. Does a name need one per se? Could [name]Affie[/name], like [name]Effie[/name] for [name]Josephine[/name], work in a informal way do you think?

We would probably use something ultra feminine in the middle, 3-syllable most likely. [name]Dorothy[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Flora[/name]/[name]Florence[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Harriet[/name] are all family names we would like to use at some point.

Advice, Berries??

Thanks, Lucianne :slight_smile:

I think [name]Afton[/name] is lovely, and I don’t get the Welsh vibe at all with [name]Afton[/name] [name]Jones[/name]. It does sound masculine to me, however…but it sounds like you will remedy that with a feminine middle name. Nicknames? [name]Affie[/name] could work, I don’t think that is a stretch at all.

It’s awesome how much of a personal connection [name]Afton[/name] has for you!

Granted, I’m no more familiar with [name]Wales[/name] than the average American, but I definitely don’t think “[name]Wales[/name]” when I hear [name]Afton[/name] [name]Jones[/name].

[name]Affie[/name] could work informally, and I also think [name]Afton[/name] stands well on its own without a nickname.

I assumed [name]Afton[/name] was a male until you mentioned a feminine middle, but now that I realize you’re talking about a girl, I love it even more. Unisex names (the classy ones, at least) are great! They give your child more room to develop his/her own identity. [name]Angelica[/name] might have a hard time if she turns out to be more of a tomboy, but [name]Afton[/name] could really be as girly (or not) as she wants - the name is versatile enough to fit pretty much anybody.

And I absolutely adore [name]Afton[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Jones[/name]. It’s unique, but it still gives off that classic feel.

Best of luck!

Well I’m Welsh and live in [name]Wales[/name], and while I can see why you’d think [name]Afton[/name] [name]Jones[/name] sounds Welsh, I don’t think it sounds overly Welsh at all. Obviously [name]Jones[/name] is a Welsh name and I think [name]Afton[/name] “looks” a little Welsh on paper if that makes sense? But when I say the name out loud it doesn’t sound any more Welsh that any other combo would with [name]Jones[/name]!

I can’t say I love [name]Afton[/name] but I do love the meaning it has for you and I always think that’s more important. [name]Affie[/name] is an adorable nickname too and not at all a stretch! :slight_smile:

If it was me personally though, I’d probably use [name]Afton[/name] as the middle name because I do think [name]Afton[/name] [name]Jones[/name] sounds very masculine.

Best of luck!

I really like the name [name]Afton[/name] and I too think it can stand alone and not need a nickname. Also, I don’t think the average person who even think about it sounding Welsh. With so much connection to the name it sounds perfect to me.

Honestly, [name]Afton[/name] [name]Jones[/name] doesn’t even whisper Welsh to me.

Sounds like it would be a great choice for you, and I do think [name]Affie[/name] could work as an nn

I love the connection to the poem. I think [name]Afton[/name] is so unique and nice.

Thank you so much for all your responses! It’s really put my mind at rest, and I’m feeling much more confident now with [name]Afton[/name] [name]Jones[/name]!
The name does have a masculine air, granted, but that’s not putting us off quite yet :wink: There’s girly-girls named [name]Devon[/name], [name]Alix[/name] and [name]Dylan[/name] in our circle, so a unisex name wouldn’t be completely out of place I don’t think.

Thanks so much for your input!

Lucianne