Age Gaps?

Congrats on your triplets,
As for my siblings and I my sister is 9 years older than me, my oldest brother is 6 years older, my other older brother is 5 years older and my little brother is 6 years younger. For my kids I wanted a closer age gap thinking it would make them closer but I didn’t want to stair step them. Our oldest son is 6, our oldest daughter is 4, our youngest son is 2 and our youngest daughter is almost 4 months. We wanted at least 2-3 years between all of them so we just went with 2.

1 Like

My siblings are:

Ezra (38)
[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] (36)
[name_f]Emily[/name_f] (me) & [name_f]Lily[/name_f] (32, almost 33)
[name_m]Joseph[/name_m] (30)
[name_u]Casey[/name_u] (27)
[name_f]Betsy[/name_f] (24, almost 25)

And my children are:

Hermione (8)
[name_m]Ferris[/name_m] (6)
[name_u]James[/name_u], [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] (2)
[name_u]Baby[/name_u] no. 6&7 (due Dec)

1 Like

My half-brother is 21 years older than me :sweat_smile: We met once when I was a baby and once when I was in college. We’re friends on FB. That’s about it.

My other “full” brother is 7 years older than me. He moved out when I was 10. Growing up, he wanted nothing to do with me… But I don’t think our age gap had anything to do with it. He’s just not a nurturing person. He honestly feels more like a cousin than a sibling, even now that we’re adults. Well, actually it feels like I’m related to his wife and not him. We are polar opposites, have nothing in common, and honestly can’t stand each other.

My brother’s 3 daughters have an interesting age gap sequence. The oldest is 6 years older than the middle. And the middle is less than 2 years older than the youngest.

Having an older kid to help out with the baby was very helpful. The oldest is a nurturing person so she’s very involved with her siblings.

The small age gap between the other two has been very challenging. They were in diapers at the same time. They like the same exact things. And the middle one hasn’t been old enough to understand when it’s the youngest’s birthday, etc, where she is getting all these presents of things she wants as well.

Maybe it would be different if they didn’t have the same exact interests, but that’s not something you can control. Kids like what they like :sweat_smile:… In my experience, 3-5 years is the ideal age gap.

1 Like

My husband and I are both only children. So, there are no age gaps to go by in our families.

I’m expecting twins right now. We both want a larger family, but I’m already in my 30’s. I wouldn’t want to think about having more kids until they’re at least 3, maybe 5.

I don’t see myself having a set of twins and then one singleton. So I would probably have 2 more relatively close together to give them the chance to grow up with someone closer in age.

Probably…
Twins - 5
Single - 1
Single - 0

2 Likes

Me and my half-brother have a 30 year age gap

I have four children and there’s a rough 2 year age gap between each of them and I adore that gap. There’s pros and cons to every age gap, honestly. We liked that they’re all close enough to have a close relationship but not too close that it was too difficult with a young child and a baby when they were born.

My brother and I are just over 2 years apart. We played together a lot as kids, but I was also quite independent so liked to play on my own too. I think my brother was a bit lonely sometimes - he’s a lot more social than me. We probably would’ve done well with a third sibling that hopefully would have liked to play with my brother more.

As we got older my brother worked to annoy me more and more. Retaliating would always get me in trouble (so unfair) so ignoring him was the only thing I could do, and eventually it became permanent. We’re civil as adults, and mildly interested about each others lives, we certainly don’t fight anymore, but we’re also not close in any sense of the word. I can’t help but blame my parents a bit for not making an effort to stop my brother from being an annoying little shit (I’m sure it’s harder than it looks but they didn’t even try!).

My partner and his sister are 3 years apart. She had difficult teenage years so they drifted apart for a while, but renewed their relationship in their early twenties and are quite close now (despite living in [name_f]Canada[/name_f] and the UK).

Based on my friends growing up, I think I will try to have my kids no more than 4 years apart (some with siblings 4 years or more apart didn’t have much of a relationship til they were adults). I’m also no spring chicken so I could be getting pretty old by then! I think 2 or 3 years would be ideal. At the very least I would like them to be at least 2 grades apart, to give them a chance of keeping separate friend groups.

If you don’t mind me asking, what did you call her if you didn’t call her by her first name? [name_m]Just[/name_m] curious! :relaxed:

I’m a middle child, and I have an older brother (let’s call him [name_m]Johnny[/name_m]) and younger sister (let’s call her [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]). [name_m]Johnny[/name_m]’s 2 years older, and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]’s is 2 years younger. Me and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] shared a room for the longest time, which made us want to throw each other into the sun half the time, and the other half made us want to hug each other for eternity.
Me and [name_m]Johnny[/name_m] were chill, but it would either be me and [name_m]Johnny[/name_m] teaming up against [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], or [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] and [name_m]Johnny[/name_m] teaming up against me. Sometimes, I felt [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] and [name_m]Johnny[/name_m] were the closest, while other times I felt [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] and I were the closest. It all really depended on our age and such.
However, I always felt like I was the most mature/the oldest, while [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] was the most immature/innocent. We didn’t fight that much, because we had awesome parents who didn’t permit that, which I’m very grateful for!
There you go.

I didn’t call her anything at all, I said “my sister” occasionally when explaining who she was, but when talking to her or when I was just around her I avoided referencing her lol.

Unrelated, but congratulations on your triplets! :two_hearts:

My brother and I are 2 years apart, and we got along fine as little kids but as teenagers into adulthood we are not close at all. I think that has more to do with clashing personalities than the age gap itself, but it still made me want to go more than 2 yrs. Our oldest will be 3 in [name_u]February[/name_u] so we’re TTC now for closer to a 4 year age gap. :slight_smile: