Aiden/Aidan?

I am due with my 3rd in about a month, a baby boy. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I cannot find a single boy name we like, it has been the search of the century! We like solid, classic names that have a freshness about them, nothing too unique or hard to understand. We want to set our boy up for success and we want him to like his name.

I loved the name [name_u]Avery[/name_u] for a boy but it seems the girls have stolen it, and I don’t want him to have a hard time or be upset about it as he grows.

One name we both really like is Aiden/Aidan (I think the -en spelling looks more handsome but we’re flexible on the spelling). When I read about this name online it is like a blood bath. People just hate it. For me, I find it classic and so handsome in a really simple, lovely way. [name_f]My[/name_f] two other children have no classmates named [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] or any other -aden names… I have never met anyone named [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] in my life. Never heard it yelled out on a playground. So it seems to not be common in my area.

What are your thoughts on the name [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] these days?? Should I steer clear? I am desperate to put the name search to an end. Any thoughts are so appreciated. Thank you!

1 Like

I have known very many Aidens (of various spellings), but most if not all are now between the ages of 15 and 25. It’s a nice name, but perception for many has likely been distorted because both it and rhyming names became massively popular for a window of time. As someone in my twenties, I grew up with many and find the name personally not that exciting due to so much overexposure. It looks as though it’s still very popular but has dropped slightly, and despite working with kids I haven’t met many young Aidens.

However, if it’s the name that really makes your heart happy, then I say you should always go for it. Your [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] would grow up hearing how you love his name, and that’s what matters more than others’ opinions.

1 Like

Hello! Congrats on #3!

First, I know both a boy and girl [name_u]Avery[/name_u] and it’s fine!
Second, it’s your child and not the people on the internet’s so I think that should matter little in your choice.

A few other “A” name choices since that seems to be the theme:

[name_m]Anthony[/name_m]
[name_m]Ansel[/name_m]
[name_u]Adrian[/name_u] (this is similar!)
[name_u]Alden[/name_u]
[name_u]Alwyn[/name_u]

Hopefully these help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] is fine!! People maybe have grown a little tired of since its popularity peaked however many years ago… but that doesn’t change that it is a nice name with a nice sound!

I’ll throw out a few suggestions for fun:

~ [name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
~ [name_u]Evan[/name_u]
~ [name_m]Ethan[/name_m]
~ [name_u]Liam[/name_u]
~ [name_m]Aaron[/name_m]
~ [name_u]Mason[/name_u]
~ [name_u]Miles[/name_u]
~ [name_u]Cameron[/name_u]
~ [name_m]Gavin[/name_m]

2 Likes

I quite like [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] / [name_u]Aiden[/name_u]. It feels solid and versatile and has a pleasing meaning. [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] looks ore classic to me, whereas [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] has a more contemporary vibe. [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] is more popular though, so it might be the sp people guess.

I have met a couple of Aidens/Aidans, but not loads (though it doesn’t and hasn’t ever ranked as highly in the UK as the US, so my perception might be different).

I think it does get bad rep due to its rhymes with other names - and feels popular because when you combine all the similar sounding names - [name_u]Aidan[/name_u], [name_u]Jayden[/name_u], [name_u]Cayden[/name_u], [name_m]Kaiden[/name_m], [name_u]Raiden[/name_u], [name_u]Braydon[/name_u], [name_u]Hayden[/name_u], [name_m]Zayden[/name_m] - and similar looking/ending names - [name_m]Adam[/name_m], [name_u]Adrian[/name_u], [name_m]Graysen[/name_m], [name_u]Madden[/name_u], [name_u]Holden[/name_u], [name_u]Brady[/name_u], [name_u]Grady[/name_u], [name_u]Eden[/name_u], [name_m]Waylon[/name_m], [name_m]Nathan[/name_m] - it feels more popular?

Still, if [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] is the one you love and agree on, it’s a solid choice :slight_smile: It’s a good name

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] cousin’s 8-year-old is [name_u]Aidan[/name_u], and a friend’s similarly aged stepson is [name_u]Aiden[/name_u]. Like some previous posters, I actually know more young adult Aidans, and I know a ton of Jaydens of various ages and spellings. I think people’s main opposition to the -aiden names is opposition to unique spellings and perceived overuse. I personally do prefer the classic and technically “correct” Aidan-with-an-A. I think it’s a nice name and very handsome like you say! I also do like [name_u]Avery[/name_u], and also prefer it for a boy, and it’s certainly not unheard of for boys, even if it’s more popular for boys. I wouldn’t rule it out entirely on that grounds. (I actually also know college-age brothers named [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] and [name_u]Avery[/name_u], so evidently at least one couple out there has very similar taste to you).

1 Like

I actually know more boy Avery’s than girl Avery’s! I’m not gonna lie, I don’t like Aiden/Aidan. Being a young adult I knew tons, of Aiden’s growing up, at minimum 2 in every class, so to me it’s very dated to the early 2000s, and even now I go out and still here a ton of little Aiden’s around. It’s just very overused to me. But, it’s not a bad name, I don’t like it, but there’s nothing actually wrong with it. If you like it then go with it, judging by how popular it is around me people still obviously like the name, even if I don’t.

It’s also important to keep in mind, that you never know how he’s going to react to his name later in life, he might hate having a common name and wishes for something more unique, or vise versa hate having a unique name and wishes for something more ‘normal’, or so many other things. Me personally I love having a more unique name, I wouldn’t trade it for anything and wouldn’t personally want a common name, and I’ve gotten by just fine. So many kids now have unique names that later in the future it’ll just be normal, and a person with any type of name will be able to succeed. [name_m]Just[/name_m] something to keep in mind for your search, thinking about his feelings about a name you’re considering (unless it’s a genuinely controversial choice) is just gonna stress you out, so try not to over think it and go with what you love 🫶🏼

Idk if you’re looking for suggestions but I put some in the drop down if you wanna look around :blush:

I tried to pick stuff with the same kind of vibe as [name_u]Aiden[/name_u], playful, lively yet grounded, and tried to keep it more classic and recognizable to go with your taste

[name_m]Even[/name_m]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_u]Devin[/name_u]
[name_m]Gavin[/name_m]
[name_u]Austin[/name_u]
[name_u]Alden[/name_u]
[name_m]Kian[/name_m] / [name_m]Cian[/name_m]
[name_u]Callum[/name_u]
[name_m]Fletcher[/name_m]
[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u]
[name_u]Wyatt[/name_u]
[name_u]Reese[/name_u]
[name_u]Kieran[/name_u]
[name_m]Lewis[/name_m]
[name_m]Harrison[/name_m]
[name_u]Declan[/name_u]
[name_u]Jackson[/name_u]
[name_u]Finley[/name_u]
[name_m]Jenson[/name_m]
[name_u]Ezra[/name_u]
[name_m]Jacob[/name_m]
[name_u]Asher[/name_u]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_u]Eli[/name_u]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_u]Levi[/name_u]
[name_m]Grant[/name_m]
[name_u]Miles[/name_u]
[name_f]Ellory[/name_f]
[name_m]Luke[/name_m]
[name_u]Wesley[/name_u]
[name_u]Seth[/name_u]
[name_u]Louie[/name_u] / [name_m]Louis[/name_m]
[name_u]Luca[/name_u]
[name_u]Finn[/name_u]
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m] / [name_u]Drew[/name_u]

1 Like

I think [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] is lovely, and I’ve actually never met one, even through years of teaching pre-K and having three young children of my own. I do know OF one 18-year-old [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] in my circle, but that’s it.

It might get a lot of flak because of all the rhyming names that became the sound of an era, but that’s not really Aiden’s fault. [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] was the original, and the Braydens/Cadens/Graydons/Jaydens/Kaydens/Padens/Raidens/Zaydens followed.

I think it’s solid and real (not made up), with rich history of use and a very pleasant sound. Go for it.

2 Likes

Huge congratulations :tada:

[name_m]Ah[/name_m] shucks my awful ex was Aid@n so for me I have terrible negative association which makes me cringe when I hear the name. I actually don’t really write about the name or talk about it as it’s all a bit much but this isn’t your issue.

I wanted to answer this question because objectively Aidan/Aid@n is actually a really lovely name. He’s handsome, rugged, outdoorsy and has an attractive quality to him. [name_u]An[/name_u] [name_u]Irish[/name_u] Saints name Aid@n is rich in history and I like the meaning ‘little and fiery’ the meaning is super sweet. I picture this adorable red head boy who is tiny and mischievous. I strongly prefer Aid@n I think the spelling feels more classic and streamlined loosing that trendy feel that people aren’t that into. However I think ‘-aiden ‘ names are fine my cousin is [name_m]Kaden[/name_m] and nobody ever overly comments about the trendiness of the name. Also I do believe that Aid@n is way more classic than his spin off options. I think if you love Aid@n go for me hes handsome! You should always go for a name you love (within reason) and I think Aid@n (en) is lovely.

1 Like

I do think its a fairly popular name, but I still love it. I think it is very handsome.

1 Like

I wont lie I do know a bunch of Aidens (and Jaidens/Braidens/Caidens/Haydens/etc.) it had a huge popularity surge about 5-10 years ago. So most of the Aidens I know are between 7 & 15.

However out of all the ‘aden’ names I think Aiden it self is super handsome. And it will get dragged online because of its popularity. But if you love it there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, and I dont think any little boy named Aiden will have any negative affect due to his name

1 Like

I love [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] but speaking as someone who works in schools in [name_u]London[/name_u] the Zaiden/Kayden/Brayden/Jayden etc. has somewhat ruined this and for me because here it would get
Lost in a sea of [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] esque names. I love the honour of St [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] though.

Another thing I would say is if you’re worried about [name_u]Avery[/name_u] (which I also love for either gender) then [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] is not dissimilar I know a few female Aidens now

1 Like

Thank you so much to everyone for all the input so far! This is all so helpful. Great food for thought. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love Aidan!! :two_hearts: Sooo handsome! Something about the spelling [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] makes it look soo genuine and most appealing. I personally have never met any Aidans ever. There is also a huge age gap between my sister and I, and when she went to preschool and school (she is still in school) I still haven’t heard of an [name_u]Aidan[/name_u]. I never understood why they said it was soo popular. I haven’t even met anybody named [name_m]Braden[/name_m], [name_u]Hayden[/name_u] etc… But I absolutely adore [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] he’s on my list and would love to meet one!!

1 Like

I agree with many others that Aidan/Aidan is not a bad name in and of itself (and I’m another who quite likes it, especially the [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] spelling).

It probably does feel a bit tainted by association with all the -aiden names of the early 2000s. I only know one [name_u]Aiden[/name_u], who’s in his early 20s, but I do know a few Jaydens (one [name_u]Jayden[/name_u] is the cousin of the [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] I know!)

I think you will be perfectly fine to use [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] or [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] for your son. It’s a handsome name with a lot of history that still sounds current for a boy born today.

1 Like

I would go [name_u]Avery[/name_u].

2 Likes

Congratulations!

I really like [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] and I only ever knew one who was in my grade (we also had a Kayden/Hayden then a Brayden/Hayden in the year below so the -ayden variations were there but not too overdone) and we were born the early 2000s so all of these boys are closer to their 20s now. [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] is a great name, very handsome!

1 Like

I really Iike Aiden.My daughter thought about using it for her son born almost 7 years ago (then it was very popular) his name is [name_u]Declan[/name_u] nn [name_m]Dex[/name_m]. Moving forward my son and daughter in law are expecting a baby boy in the spring and I was going to mention [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] to them. I think it is a great title boy name as well as a grown man. I agree with others, it’s the original “den” name and very handsome. Another thought is [name_u]Adrian[/name_u].

1 Like

I teach and have to agree with @Etymology there have been so many at our school and all of the rhyming variations that it has ruined it for me. But it is a solid name. Other suggestions that I feel might work,

[name_u]Callum[/name_u]
[name_u]Camden[/name_u]
[name_m]Lachlan[/name_m]
[name_u]Nolan[/name_u]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u]

2 Likes

I love [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] / [name_u]Aiden[/name_u]! It’s in my own list as well! I knew of one [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] growing up and he’s the one who inspired me to put the name on my list to begin with, and I have yet to meet another [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] or [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] since. I think it really depends on your area, and if it’s not crazy popular in your area, then I think you’re totally safe to use it! Don’t let the internet dictate you, if this is the name you love then you should go for it! The -ayden sound did become a bit popular a few years back, but I still think it’s a perfectly fine name and not to worry about the copy cat names!

Although…I also love [name_u]Avery[/name_u] on a boy!

1 Like