Alder? Casper? or Soren?

See the results of this poll: Which boy name for our first child do you like?

Respondents: 51 (This poll is closed)

• Alder : 12 (21%)
  • Casper : 24 (41%)
  • Soren: 22 (38%)

I voted for Alder, and I appear to be the minority…:slight_smile: I just think it sounds better. [name]Casper[/name] is a ghost and [name]Soren[/name] is nice, but it sounds incomplete and makes me think of Sauron. Alder is the name of a character in one of my favorite books. He’s a pretty cool dude. :slight_smile:

our surname starts with a “K” – the only downfall of a [name]Casper[/name] pick // the two hard c/k sounds, but it’s not enough to keep me from using it.

and i [name]LOVE[/name] [name]James[/name] for a middle name though it’ll take some convincing for the husband as it’s his least favorite from our list.

Loved all your thoughts on [name]Casper[/name] and [name]Soren[/name] — i’m loving Scandinavian interior design
(bright, white, airy, whimsical, practical, clean lines) , perhaps that was the draw towards [name]Soren[/name] without really even realizing it.

Alter boy - bummer, but you’re probably right. The Husband’s got the softest spots for nature names most preferably trees / hence Alder wood…or “Alder” and i think he’s pretty attached to that name right now… though he’s definitely warmed up to [name]Casper[/name] and we both liked [name]Soren[/name] :slight_smile: we’ll see.

thanks again for your input!

heytherepigeon! the husband will be excited he’s got someone on his side!! :slight_smile: thanks for your input.

I know someone that named their baby [name]Casper[/name] recently, and I just…really don’t like it. I thought maybe it would grow on me, but it hasn’t. I always think about the ghost, which I know isn’t the most horrible association, per se, and I think this generation of kids won’t even know of it, but to me it’s the equivalent of naming your child a name commonly given to a dog or something. It just feels silly and out of place.
I like [name]Soren[/name] the best. I knew a boy growing up with that name and he was sweet and kind, so it has a nice association to me, plus it always felt unique without being too weird.

I can’t help but recommend [name]Aspen[/name]. Haha. It combines sounds from all three names and has the same vibe as name 1. That said, you have some great names here. I chose [name]Soren[/name]. I knew a [name]Soren[/name] and there’s also the philosopher. The [name]Soren[/name] I knew was probably the opposite of the philosopher though so it fits all types.

[name]Soren[/name] [name]James[/name] is my favorite combination.

Really, all of these are good names. I need a full last name, I tried it with [name]King[/name] and I like [name]Soren[/name] best. But if it’s a long complicated name, maybe [name]Caspar[/name] would work better

This is a really tough one to vote on, as I actually really like all three names. The one I’d choose would probably end up being based a lot on what your last name is.

Alder- A really nice nature name that fits right in with modern naming trends without conforming to them. Has a pleasant softness to it. It looks like it’s not getting as many votes as the others, but I think it’d be a great choice. [name]Calder[/name] is another one I quite like.

[name]Caspar[/name]- Is an awesome name. Historic, strong, meaningful. I personally prefer [name]Jasper[/name], but not by a lot. The friendly ghost association is relatively large, but that wouldn’t bother me. And the fact was your grandfather’s name is awesome. If you don’t end up using this as a FN, it’d also be a solid MN with [name]Soren[/name] or Alder.

[name]Soren[/name]- This one was high on my own list for awhile (and [name]Jasper[/name] still is). It’s got a strong feel to it. The meaning of ‘stern’ is one I had a tough time appreciating, I tried really hard to make my mind think of ‘stern’ in more of a ‘steadfast/strong’ sense, but just couldn’t do it. That being said, [name]Soren[/name] does have some other similar names from other languages that have nice meanings (in Avestan (ancient pre-Persian, Zorastrian language) [name]Suren[/name] might mean something like ‘heroic one’, but I had trouble confirming this. In Romanian, Sorin (pronounced sor-een) means ‘sun’).

My favorite name of all would be [name]Soren[/name] [name]Casper[/name] (but don’t let Alder slip away just because of these forums, your husband does love it and it is a nice name too)

I voted for Alder too, though [name]Soren[/name] is a great name as well. [name]Casper[/name] doesn’t do it or me.

I also voted for Alder. [name]Casper[/name] sounds feminine to me, cartoony and not strong at all. I appreciate [name]Soren[/name] in theory but I can’t past the sore part of it - not appealing. Alder is wonderful!