Alexander or Nicholas for our first born?

My wife and I love these two. We are curious what other ppl thought. Middle name suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Great names! I’m leaning towards [name]Alexander[/name] because of the handsome [name]Xander[/name] nickname. Sometimes middle names can tip the sclae on one or the other. Good luck deciding!

I don’t know if I’m alone in this strange habit but personally I like children to be given names in alphabetical sequence if possible. I like both names but I think [name]Alexander[/name] has more of an older brother “feel” to it than [name]Nicholas[/name] so I think you should go with that name. Since [name]Alexander[/name] is four syllables, I think a shorter middle name would work best. Here are some suggestions. All the best!
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Vaughan[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Stuart[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]John[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Philip[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Carl[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Joel[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Jude[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Paul[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Lee[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Francis[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Heath[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Leo[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Cyrus[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Lewis[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Jonah[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Justin[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Theo[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Holden[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Dean[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Noel[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Lorne[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Ross[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Hayes[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Tobin[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Flynn[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Silas[/name]

[name]Both[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Nicholas[/name] rank as favorites of mine. You cannot go wrong with either. In making the decision, here are some things to consider: If there is a particular middle name you want to use, then one of the names might go better with it than the other. Also one name might flow better than the other with your last name, so that is definitely something to consider. You might also consider whether nicknames [name]Nick[/name] ____ or [name]Alex[/name] _____ sound better with your last name. One more consideration is the initials - making sure there are no objectionable letter combinations.

Are you leaning towards any particular middle name at this point?

Good luck!

[name]Both[/name] are lovely names, but I have to say I prefer [name]Nicholas[/name] to [name]Alexander[/name]–I love the way it rolls off the tongue and has a crisp, clear ring to it. [name]Nicholas[/name] was on our short list, too.

(Although my opinion may be slightly tainted by the fact that I had a prom date named [name]Alexander[/name]…and let’s just say the evening didn’t go so well!) :slight_smile:

[name]Alexander[/name]! [name]Alex[/name] and [name]Xander[/name] are both cute as a nn and it’s a great, timeless name that suits any age.

As for middle names…

[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Harris[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]

I love the name [name]Alexander[/name] and would seriously consider it, but I have a good friend who has a little [name]Alexander[/name]. I think its a great strong name that always seems to go with the times. I had a lot of “Nicks” in my high school graduating class (about 10 years ago) and feel it has seen its generation and was more common in the 80’s. [name]Nicolas[/name] is so much better, but [name]Nick[/name] is a definite possible "nick"name :wink:

I like [name]Alexander[/name] [name]Micheal[/name] for a middle name also!!!

… Actually, I think [name]Alexander[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name] has a good ring to it also!!! :smiley:

[name]Nicolas[/name] (spelled this way), gets my vote. :wink: To the person above who said its a generational 80’s name, that is actually false. Although Im sure you did know a ton of Nicks from the 80’s generation, the usage has remained relatively steady ever since (see below). It has staying power because its classic & traditional, just like [name]Alexander[/name]. Good [name]Luck[/name]!

Im posting the statistics on usuage of [name]Nicholas[/name] from the past 50 years:

2009 32
2008 29
2007 20
2006 17
2005 15
2004 13
2003 12
2002 9
2001 6
2000 6
1999 5
1998 6
1997 6
1996 6
1995 6
1994 9
1993 8
1992 12
1991 12
1990 14
1989 14
1988 14
1987 16
1986 17
1985 19
1984 20
1983 21
1982 22
1981 21
1980 17
1979 15
1978 25
1977 51
1976 77
1975 81
1974 81
1973 85
1972 99
1971 123
1970 123
1969 123
1968 117
1967 130
1966 139
1965 149
1964 158
1963 155
1962 154
1961 158
1960 153
Note: Rank 1 is the most popular, rank 2 is the next most popular, and so forth. Name data are from Social Security card applications for births that occurred in the United States.

I love both actually, and I think [name]Alexander[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name] or [name]Nicholas[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] would be a great way of having both :stuck_out_tongue:

If you wanted to save one for a second son, you could try using this way to decide - which order sounds better to you:
“Here are my sons, [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Nicholas[/name]” or “Here are my sons, [name]Nicholas[/name] and [name]Alexander[/name].”

Personally I prefer [name]Alexander[/name]. :slight_smile:

Good luck!