Alfred?

Pros:

• Has two of my very favorite nicknames, [name]Alfie[/name] and [name]Freddy[/name]
  • A lot of great people have been named [name]Alfred[/name]
  • It’s a character from Batman ([name]MAJOR[/name] plus for my husband, haha)
  • It’s not common, but not unfamiliar
  • Sounds good with our last name
  • My husband adores it, he says “you know how you said we’d know when we found the right name? This is it!”… he’s all excited about it.

Cons:

• I don’t love the sound of it
  • Afraid of the butler connotation
  • I’d want people to call him [name]Alfie[/name] of [name]Freddy[/name], not [name]Alfred[/name], but how to introduce him?
  • We don’t want people to call him [name]Al[/name] or [name]Fred[/name] (well, I like [name]Fred[/name], but he doesn’t)
  • Not a family name

Please tell me your thoughts!

I say use it! A lot of people go by just their nicknames and only use their formal names on legal documents, etc. Simply introduce him as [name]Alfie[/name] or [name]Freddy[/name].

I like [name]Alfred[/name] a lot. And [name]Alfie[/name] is FANTASTIC! And the fact that both you and your husband agree is wonderful.

Good luck!

[name]Alfred[/name] and [name]Freddie[/name] seem really ready to be brought back! When you introduce him, say “This is [name]Alfred[/name]. We call him [name]Alfie[/name] or [name]Freddie[/name].” I love that name!

why not just name him [name]Alfred[/name] and introduce him as [name]Alfie[/name]?? That’ll probably be what he’ll go by anyway…alot of people are just using nicknames as names, like, just plain alfie…

What about [name]Albert[/name]? ([name]Albert[/name] [name]Gore[/name], [name]Prince[/name] [name]Albert[/name]). [name]Do[/name] you like the sound of that better? If so, maybe your husband would like it too since their so similar.

I’d pick a name that you like better. You can’t be sure that he won’t want to be called [name]Alfred[/name] or one of the nicknames you don’t like when he’s older.

so, [name]Alfred[/name] really grew on me. Now I absolutely love it. And I’ve totally settled on the nickname [name]Alfie[/name]. Yep, we’ve decided on the name! With three months to go! Woo hoo!

[name]Alfred[/name] [name]Frost[/name], called [name]Alfie[/name]

what do you think?

Congrads :slight_smile: I love the was [name]Alfred[/name] [name]Frost[/name] sounds togeather, very cool middle name/classic 1st.

[name]Love[/name] it! Congratulations!!

Yes, I love it too. Congratulations on your original thinking.

I think the name is simply beautiful and both you and your husband seem to have loads of good things to say about it!

If you want people to call him [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] or [name_u]Freddy[/name_u] just introduce him like that, you will only have to use [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] when writing it on legal documents and stuff like that. If someone does call him [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] or [name_m]Al[/name_m] or [name_m]Fred[/name_m], simply correct them and tell them you prefer [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] or [name_u]Freddy[/name_u].

To be honest, I didn’t even think of the butler connotation and I don’t think it will be a big problem for you.

If you want to use a family name find one you like and use it as a middle!

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] it helps!

I like it. I would introduce him as [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] or [name_u]Freddy[/name_u].

This thread is almost 10 years old. Closing it now.