Aliza vs. Eliza

Which is better? Why? What imagery do they each evoke?

I much prefer classic [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]! She feels like a stately name, given her history, yet could wear so playfully and vivaciously on a girl today.

[name_f]Aliza[/name_f] is to [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] as [name_f]Alivia[/name_f] is to [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. The “A” confuses things.

1 Like

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]- she’s classic and spunky!

[name_f]Aliza[/name_f] just feels like a made up spelling and I would also pronounce it differently- a-LEE-za. [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] I would say uh-LIE-za.

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] - sharp, vintage and sweet. [name_f]Aliza[/name_f] feels slightly more musical and bright

1 Like

I would also pronounce them differently – [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] = eh-LY-zuh and [name_f]Aliza[/name_f] = ah-LEE-zah. Although [name_f]Aliza[/name_f] is a name in its own right (“joyful” in Hebrew), I think many might mistake it as an alternative spelling of [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]. [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is bright and spirited to me, while [name_f]Aliza[/name_f] is slightly softer and more lyrical.

The question, “which is better” really is in the eye of the beholder. I know a girl named [name_f]Alivia[/name_f] and to me it is a pretty alternative to [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Aliza[/name_f] is a pretty name and I would still say it as uh-lie-za. Of course [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is the traditional spelling and some feel changing it in any way is just trying to be trendy but I feel you can always find beauty even in “trendy” names or spellings.

1 Like

to me, these are completely different names-- I grew up in a community with many Hebrew speakers, so I know 3 Alizas! If you are using Aliza as just an alternate spelling but pronounced the same, I prefer the sparky look of Eliza. But if you’re going for the Hebrew version, pronounced ah-LEE-zuh, I’d personally go with that option! It feels familiar but at the same time is unique and vivacious, and has such a lovely meaning. Both are beautiful choices!

3 Likes

Neither is better; it depends on what kind of name you are after.

I prefer Eliza she feels classic and I like that she looks like she’s taken directly from Elizabeth which is a name I love. I think Eliza is spunky, charming and nostalgic. She feels summery and has this yellow aura to her.

Whereas of course Aliza is a name in her own right and has the sweet meaning joyful attached but feels very different to Eliza. Aliza is ah Lee zuh and I think if you’re not familiar with Hebrew therefore the name itself may feel not as established.

A little hard but I like [name_f]Aliza[/name_f] better.

I’ve read that the pn is ah-LEE-zuh, and I think it’s more sweeter than el-EYE-zuh without losing it’s sharpness.

I also take meanings into account as I’m trying to make better combos, and the meaning of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] names don’t work with the meanings of some names I like (I’m having problems with combining [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] with my faves).

If I was naming a child though (which I’m not), I’d choose [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] just because it’s recognizable (and I remember I used to love it).

I definitely prefer [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]! I find that’s the more classic spelling. I feel if you went with [name_f]Aliza[/name_f] you would always be correcting people on the spelling or even the pronunciation.