All The Ways a Name is Used

Hello all, I’ve been thinking recently about all the ways a name is used in every day life, and I wanted to start a list here, and ask for more suggestions. I think on nameberry there’s often a lot of focus on the first and middle/s but names are used in many different ways, and I thought it would be interesting to list them out.

Generic Example full name: [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]

Names can be used as
Full Name: [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]
First, Middle initial, last: [name_m]John[/name_m] H. [name_m]Smith[/name_m]
All Initials: JHWS
Only 3 Initials: JHS
First, Last Initials: JS
First and Middle: [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
First and Both Middles: [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m]
Last, First: [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]
Nicknames: [name_m]Johnny[/name_m], [name_u]Jackie[/name_u]
Misspellings: [name_m]Jon[/name_m]

Please add more ways that a name is used!

2 Likes

I thought of another one:

Email and usernames: johnhsmith72 @ gmail

1 Like

first name initial, middle name initials, last name: J.H.W. [name_m]Smith[/name_m]
title, last name: Professor [name_m]Smith[/name_m]

1 Like

J. [name_m]Smith[/name_m]

Monogram would look sort of like JSH for three initials, no idea what you do with four.

2 Likes

With a title for example ;
Mr J.H.W [name_m]Smith[/name_m]
Dr J.H.W [name_m]Smith[/name_m]
Dr [name_m]Smith[/name_m]
Professor [name_m]Smith[/name_m]

1 Like

“Backwards” (Surname, First name) such as in a school register, telephone directory or bibliography…

Smith, [name_m]John[/name_m]
[name_m]Smith[/name_m], [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] [name_m]William[/name_m]
[name_m]Smith[/name_m], J. H. W.
[name_m]Smith[/name_m], [name_m]John[/name_m] H. W.

2 Likes

If the person goes by a middle name:

J. William Smith
J.W. Henry Smith

I have more than one relative (both male and female, if it matters) that does this, and I almost did it myself for a minute before deciding to change my name altogether.

Or if the person goes by John Henry (or another double first name):

John Henry W. Smith
John Henry Smith
John-Henry W. Smith
John-Henry Smith

1 Like

Unfortunately, there is no good pattern to include two middle initials in a monogram. He would have to choose between JSH and JSW. I’ve seen people do things like JSHW, but I find that to be very lopsided. When I monogram things I often use my second middle name as it is my mother’s maiden name. It is also the last name of the person my first middle name is after, so I am still honoring her even when I drop an initial.
As an example of how to include two last names in a monogram, I will pretend that his name is John Henry Williams Smith with Williams being an additional last name. In that case his monogram would be JWSH.

Edited to add: most shops that sell monogramed items won’t embroider four letters anyway. A few places do do items for double last names, but to get two middle initials you would almost certainly need to find someone with an embroidery machine willing to do custom orders on pre-purchased items.

2 Likes

Those are good additions thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the insight, I myself have 2 middle names and it’s hard to incorporate both of them into anything. Thanks!