All your thoughts on a name!

hi berries!

so I’ve been crushing on the name [name_f]Rona[/name_f] for a while now, and I wanted to know y’alls thoughts on it. Vibes/positive or negative associations/spellings/popularity, everything! Also middles ideas would be appreciated.

thanks so much! :heart:

Are you saying it like RON-nuh or ROW-nuh?

If you’re using the ROW-nuh pronunciation, I think it reminds me too much of the coronavirus pandemic, as people were calling it [name_f]Rona[/name_f] for short. I think maybe she could work as a nn for [name_f]Ramona[/name_f], but otherwise the association is just too strong.

If you’re saying it RON-nuh, I think it’s sweet but would spell it [name_f]Ronna[/name_f] due to the earlier perception!! I do think she’s sweet and is a little buttoned-up in a very sweet way!!

3 Likes

Personally I much prefer the Row-nuh prn. over Ron-nuh & the pandemic didn’t happen I’d say it’s a beautiful name - to be fair it still is - but I think as the PP mentioned it will most likely be linked to the pandemic for years to come.

How about using it as a MN so it’s still there but not on ‘show’ everyday?

I agree with the others who mention Covid-19. What about these as alternatives?

[name_f]Simona[/name_f]
[name_f]Simone[/name_f]
[name_f]Mona[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Runa[/name_f]
Juna/Djuna
[name_f]Junia[/name_f]
Verona/Veronica
[name_m]Ronie[/name_m] (one of my favorite authors has this name… I don’t know for sure how it’s said; and I assume it’s short for Veronica… but we say roh nee)

Good luck!

Where I am, [name_f]Rona[/name_f] is a slang term for the coronavirus, making it unusable.
Not sure if this would apply to you though.

The name itself isn’t bad though, I like the meanings and I think it’s kind of pretty.
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] with a longer middle name would be a nice combo.

rona ailsa
rona eilidh
rona elsie
rona elspeth
rona esme
rona fiona
rona flora
rona greer
rona iona
rona ishbel
rona isla
rona isobel
rona lilias
rona mairi
rona maisie
rona morven
rona nessa
rona skye
rona una

I think it would be better as a nickname for [name_f]Ramona[/name_f]. You could also consider the name [name_f]Mona[/name_f].

It’s already been said, but it does remind me of the illness. Which is a shame, because otherwise, it would have sweet, sassy vintage vibes.

Middle ideas:

[name_f]Rona[/name_f] [name_f]Liberty[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] [name_f]Juliette[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] [name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] Elpseth
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] [name_f]Sabine[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f]

[name_f]Rhona[/name_f] could be an alternative spelling? [name_m]Or[/name_m] [name_f]Rhonwen[/name_f] ‘Rhona’?

1 Like

I pronounce it ro-na like the o noise at the start of cone. where I live it isn’t really used as a slang for COVID-19, actually I didn’t even know it was used that way until I read the NB page on it. does the spelling ronah remind you of covid too?

Seems I’m in the minority so far, but I didn’t think of corona when I read the topic question and I was gathering my thoughts. (I was aware of the abbreviation at the time.)

Thoughts gathered: [name_f]Rona[/name_f] makes me think of outdoorsy imagery - specifically wild ponies (!) I think through the sound similarity with roan as a coat colour. Also a rugged Scottish landscape due to the island of [name_f]Rona[/name_f]. Finally, I was thinking about [name_f]Ronja[/name_f], because of the spelling similarity.

Some middle ideas:

[name_f]Rona[/name_f] [name_f]Marsaili[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] [name_f]Tess[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] [name_f]Shirley[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] [name_f]Jewel[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] [name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] [name_f]Maisie[/name_f]

Some sister suggestions:
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] & [name_f]Maura[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] & [name_f]Marian[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] & [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] & [name_f]Betsy[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] & [name_f]Bonnie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rona[/name_f] & [name_f]Ruby[/name_f]

1 Like

my friends and I referred to the virus exclusively as “the rona” so it’s entirely unusable for me, sorry

I like the sounds, but the association with coronavirus and therefore Covid is too strong for use at the minute to my mind. ‘The Rona’ was how it was colloquially known where I’m from so it’s a no go for me. It’s a shame, because it’s a nice name - I love that Gaelic -ona suffix. Alternatives -
Seona / [name_f]Shona[/name_f] / Seonagh
[name_f]Iona[/name_f]
[name_f]Yona[/name_f]
[name_f]Ilona[/name_f] / [name_f]Eilona[/name_f]
[name_f]Annona[/name_f]
[name_f]Winona[/name_f]
[name_f]Rhoda[/name_f]
[name_f]Roma[/name_f]

1 Like

I didn’t immediately think of corona at first, but after reading replies I just can’t unsee it. It might be more usable years in the future, but I guess the association is still too fresh right now. [name_f]Ramona[/name_f] or [name_f]Romana[/name_f] could be options, maybe?

1 Like

Used as slang for Covid in my area as well- 100% unusable. Sorry :frowning:

I think it’s a pretty name and I actually had a teacher with this first name back in middle school, but it is completely unusable for the time being (at least where I live) due to the pandemic association.