Allegra

I’m due to have a baby girl in early [name]March[/name] and was feeling quite pleased with myself because my husband and I had 100% decided on the name [name]Allegra[/name]. However… reading these boards has left me feeling quite conflicted. So apparantly it’s the name of an allergy medication??? I currently live in Australia and lived in the UK for years and I’m pretty sure that the name [name]Allegra[/name] wouldn’t have that association in those countries. And yet it is starting to bug me… help, what do you think? I guess I’m looking for views about whether the name is irretrievably ruined by this association. For folks not in the US - have you heard of this medication and does it colour your view of the name? And for people in the States - is it really that well known and would it be an issue??? My husband is actually quite keen to live and work in the US or [name]Canada[/name] one day so I need to know whether our daughter would be the ‘allergy medication girl’!!!

Thanks…

I live in the US and do not associate the name [name]Allegra[/name] with an allergy medication. In fact, I had no idea there was an allergy medication by that name until I read this message board. And yes, I have allergies. It’s a lovely Italian name and it makes me happy to hear it, just like the name means. If you love the name, I say go for it!

I live in the US and do NOT associate this name with a medication. It is a beautiful name. My association is with the ballerina, [name]Allegra[/name] [name]Kent[/name]. I am only aware of the allergy medication b/c of these boards. This name does not sound like a medication at all to me.

3rd. I live in the US, and vaguely aware of the allergy medicine, but I think of a lot of things with this name and not just allergy medicine. I think hay fever and pollen allergies don’t really make it a terrible association either. There are far more embarrassing things to medicate, you wouldn’t want to be named like.

[name]Allegra[/name], to me, is just lively, something to do with music? Happiness? It is a joyful name to me. I think if your daughter came to the US someday, I think that name would be accepted and welcomed and the allergy medication, maybe it would only come to mind if someone was taking it. By then, maybe it won’t even be available, hardly a “household” name like naming your child [name]Ajax[/name] or [name]Nike[/name] would be, by comparison.

I AM from the United States, I [name]DO[/name] know of the allergy medicine, and I [name]DO[/name] know a girl named [name]Allegra[/name]! [name]Trust[/name] me, nobody associates her name with the medicine, and it hasn’t been a problem…

In fact, there are three other Allegras in my school (university).

I had an [name]RA[/name] in college with this name and have only positive associations… even though I’ve been known to take the medication! I really wouldn’t worry about it. As soon as people see your lovely daughter I’m sure any lingering thoughts of prescriptions will scurry from their minds. It’s a beautiful name!

Hello! I was almost named [name]Allegra[/name] until my grandmother convinced my mother that it would always be associated with the medication. BUT I really don’t think it would’ve been an issue! It’s a lovely name. [name]Just[/name] beware of the ultra common [name]Allie[/name] nickname, or possibly Leggy! :slight_smile: Good luck!

I’m the U.S., and while I’m aware of the medication, I don’t associate the name [name]Allegra[/name] with the drug. If I were to meet an [name]Allegra[/name], I’d simply be happy to hear such a beautiful name. :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

i live in the UK and it isn’t an allergy medication here. I think it is a beautiful name with a lovely meaning. I hope you and your husband feel happy to use it now :slight_smile:

I actually think of the movie “[name]Hitch[/name]”. There’s an “[name]Allegra[/name] [name]Cole[/name]” in the movie. I think your daughter could definitley live her whole life without being referred to as “medicine”. I say use it! :slight_smile: It’s a gorgeous name! :slight_smile:

I’m in the UK so also don’t have the association. I know an [name]Allegra[/name], and I think it’s such a gorgeous name. She uses her full name (have not heard someone call her [name]Ali[/name]) but every now and again her husband calls her Legs, and believe me, it’s done in a very cute and complimentary way! I really hope you use it.

First let me say that I love [name]Allegra[/name], have always loved [name]Allegra[/name], and was totally bummed when they came out with the medication.

They definitely have the medication in [name]Canada[/name], but if you love this name – use it! I think its absolutely beautiful.

Thank you very much everyone, I feel really reassured by your comments. I think we’re going to stick with [name]Allegra[/name].

Had to laugh about the thought of a child called [name]Ajax[/name] or [name]Nike[/name]!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Allegra[/name], it’s a wonderful name. I live in NZ and we don’t have that allergy medicine here so no danger there.

Good [name]Luck[/name]:slight_smile:

• [name]Charlie[/name]

I like [name]Allegra[/name]. Maybe if you didn’t feel the need to ‘laugh’ at kids called [name]Ajax[/name] or [name]Nike[/name], then you wouldn’t be so concerned.

I love the name [name]Allegra[/name]! And [name]Allegra[/name] is or was an allergy medication but when I think allergy medicine in the US i think of Claritin and Zyrtec- definitely not [name]Allegra[/name]. Dont let that deter you from this GORGEOUS name! I love it and its fabulous! :slight_smile: