Alliteration....good or bad thing?

Hello, how do most of you feel about first letter of first name and last name being the same?

[name]Hi[/name]! I love alliteration, but think it depends on the specific names involved. I love a name like [name]Miles[/name] [name]Montgomery[/name] (last name [name]Montgomery[/name]), but something like [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Farley[/name] sounds a bit sing-songy to me.

If the names work, I personally think that alliteration is wonderful! (I’ve always loved combos like [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Louise[/name] and [name]Matilda[/name] [name]May[/name]…)

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I’m [name]Jill[/name] Jacobs and I love the alliteration of my name.

Well, if it rhymes, that is one thing. Alliteration can be cute sometimes! Basically, I think that [name]Larry[/name] [name]Carey[/name] is pretty awful. But, before they chose my name, my parents were going to name me [name]Maggie[/name] [name]Simone[/name] [name]Miller[/name], or [name]Maggie[/name] [name]Miller[/name]. That works for me!

[name]Mackenzie[/name] [name]Miller[/name], [name]Margaret[/name] [name]Miller[/name], [name]Marisa[/name] [name]Miller[/name] - I think that all works. Alliteration, but not rhyme, is fine.

I usually [name]LOVE[/name] alliteration, especially same initials for first and last names. In naming my kids, this would have limited me to H names. H names were not on my list of favorites, so I did not go that route, but I think it often dresses up a name and can add a lot of appeal.

Names that are rhymey are usually silly and awful in my opinion, like [name]Nick[/name] Hicks, [name]Eric[/name] Hicks, etc.

My name is [name]Paige[/name] [name]Posey[/name] and I love the alliteration :slight_smile: I also like first name, middle name alliteration like [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Iris[/name], [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name].

My name has alliteration too – everyone ALWAYS calls me by both my first and last name, without me asking them to! I love it, it gives me a bit of distinction :wink: haha

I love alliteration! It does depend on the particular names, but in general I think it’s great. I think it adds a lot of spunk and makes names more fun to say. I wish I had an alliterate name. My son is [name]Dashiell[/name] [name]David[/name] and I love to say it… I’m considering [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]May[/name] for a future daughter, M is a very fun letter!

It depends on the flow of the names together. With a good flow, alliteration gives a great pairing of names.

It depends. My first and middle name start with the same letter and I think it’s kinda offbeat and fun.
Something like [name]Shirley[/name] [name]Sheldon[/name] wouldn’t work for me, but [name]Kate[/name] Keppler sounds fine.

I think alliteration is fun! But of course, discretion must be used depending on the sound of the names.

I think it can work but it really depends on the names. In general I think it sounds okay as long as the first name and the last name don’t have the same number of syllables.

I agree with her…

Oh am I the only person to out myself here?! :slight_smile:
I am not the fan of alliteration, although even my namesbook says that it is generally thought of as a good thing.

I think though, that it really depends on the names. Better an alliteration, than a weird rhyme.

I love it, my initials are AA. It obviously depends on the names but in general i think its great :slight_smile:

I like alliteration sometimes and not other times. I think if you have an M name in mind to go with your last name that also begins with M, it more depends how they sound together. Others have said there is a good and a bad way to go, it’s not necessarily going to sound weird just having two Ms. [name]Plenty[/name] of famous people have a first and last name with the same initial, and I think rather than sound “sing-songy” really come off with an emphatic sound, a kind of power in repetition that sounds memorable but not silly. Albeit, sometimes it is not their given name, but it is the name they are known by:

[name]Marilyn[/name] [name]Monroe[/name], [name]Greta[/name] [name]Garbo[/name], [name]Bill[/name] Bixby, [name]Mary[/name] [name]Martin[/name], [name]Tina[/name] [name]Turner[/name], [name]Bobby[/name] [name]Brown[/name], [name]Lisa[/name] [name]Loeb[/name]… I have just recently woken up and this is the crop I’ve come up with so far, but there are many others. We can include others like [name]Katie[/name] Couric and [name]Karen[/name] Carpenter for sound, or [name]Sharon[/name] [name]Stone[/name] even though Sh and S are technically different sounds. Their names sound very easy to remember without coming across like a superhero’s secret identity*.

Try it out and see if you like the way it sounds. I know we’ve had this topic before, and at least the way I conclude it is, the repetition of initials does make the name a bit more easy for people to remember and associate, and depending on the reputation of your child, that can be an asset. That’s up to you and your child, though!

*My friend with the last name beginning with H wants a son to be called [name]Henry[/name] so he can be called [name]Hank[/name] for the superhero reason, and even there it’s not awful, but if everyone had such a name, the kind of power it has in sound would be weakened, I think - so I like it in small doses, and when the names sound good together.