Alternative for Jasper

I really love recognizable but uncommon names with strong meanings and good nn potential. I love [name_m]Jason[/name_m] and [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] for that reason but [name_m]Jason[/name_m] is too dated and [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] is too popular- so now what?

J names are not a must but they are a plus as I want to use my dad’s initials to honor him (JML) surname is Ling. Connections to myths/legends/literature are a bonus, but any ideas are welcome.

[name_m]Favorite[/name_m] boys names in my sig to give you an idea of my style.

The only J name I could come up with that is less popular than [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] that I really like is [name_m]Jovan[/name_m]. [name_m]Jovan[/name_m] means father of the sky or Majestic. It is very uncommon but easy to spell & pronounce. NN could be van, jovi, [name_m]Jove[/name_m], [name_u]Jay[/name_u].

I just found a mythological origin for [name_m]Jovan[/name_m] as well: The name [name_m]Jovan[/name_m] is a Latin baby name. In Latin the meaning of the name [name_m]Jovan[/name_m] is: Father of the sky. Form of [name_m]Jove[/name_m] from [name_m]Jupiter[/name_m]. [name_m]Jupiter[/name_m] was [name_m]Roman[/name_m] mythological supreme deity corresponding to the Greek [name_m]Zeus[/name_m].

I kind of like [name_m]Jovan[/name_m]! Any more ideas in the same vein? (They don’t have to start with J or M)

What about [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] or [name_m]Jarvis[/name_m]?

[name_m]Jesper[/name_m] is a Danish twist on [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] you might consider! Another idea is [name_u]Jory[/name_u], which is a short form of [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] but much fresher.
I also like [name_m]Jalmari[/name_m] and its short form [name_m]Jari[/name_m] (they mean “helmet protector” so they’re a bit similar in meaning to [name_m]Jason[/name_m]).

I like [name_m]Jarvis[/name_m] but I worry its too tied to the iron man comics. [name_m]Casper[/name_m] is still too tied to the friendly ghost for me and I worry [name_m]Jesper[/name_m] would get mistaken for [name_m]Jasper[/name_m]. I do really like [name_m]Jari[/name_m] but I don’t really like [name_m]Jalmari[/name_m].

Thanks for all the help so far!

I know someone with a son named Jabel. At first I didn’t really like it but since then it’s really grown on me. The name is Hebrew and it means “like the arrow that flies.” It’s not on nameberry, so it might be too uncommon for you, but it’s the first name I thought of when I saw your post. :slight_smile:

I immediately thought of [name_m]Caspar[/name_m], but what about [name_u]Jensen[/name_u] nn [name_f]Jen[/name_f], [name_m]Jaren[/name_m] nn [name_u]Ren[/name_u], [name_u]Jameson[/name_u] nn [name_m]Jam[/name_m] or [name_u]Jem[/name_u], or [name_m]Jorah[/name_m] nn [name_u]Jory[/name_u]?

I love [name_u]Jet[/name_u] and [name_m]Justus[/name_m]!

[name_m]Julian[/name_m]? I know it’s a little mainstream, but I love it.

What about [name_m]Jonah[/name_m]? I love that it means “dove,” and the story of [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] and the whale is pretty neat.

[name_u]Jude[/name_u] is another good one.

I really like [name_u]Jet[/name_u] as a nn, any ideas on a full name for nn [name_u]Jet[/name_u]?
I like [name_m]Jorah[/name_m] nn [name_u]Jory[/name_u] but do you think I would get a lot of “oh like from Game of Thrones” comments?
I love [name_m]Jonah[/name_m] and [name_m]Jonas[/name_m], I’d like to stay away from biblical names but I might make an exception for these.
I really like [name_m]Julian[/name_m] too although I think I’d like it more if I could come up with a nn for it that I like.
Jabel is beautiful and I really like it but I worry about people mispronouncing it, do you know if your friend has a lot of trouble with that?

I just found Jaidev on behind the name it says it means divine victory but does it sound too trendy?? how would you pronounce it because I have been saying Jayd-ev.

Agree these were great ideas: Jory, Jovan, Julian, Jupiter, Justus

Maybe Jules, Joaquin, Justice or Carver (in the -er ending vein) ?

Maybe [name_m]Jairus[/name_m]?

[name_m]Jacoby[/name_m]
[name_m]Janson[/name_m]
[name_m]Jaron[/name_m]
[name_m]Jerome[/name_m]
[name_m]Joah[/name_m]
[name_m]Joachim[/name_m]
[name_m]Joaquin[/name_m]
[name_m]Jotham[/name_m]
[name_m]Julius[/name_m]

I don’t feel like [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] is too popular. I like [name_m]Casper[/name_m], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] and [name_m]Jetson[/name_m].

[name_m]Jelani[/name_m]? It doesn’t have the “s” sound but it is a neat “J” name.