Alternatives to Clara

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all!

I’m expecting a baby girl this spring! She will be my 2nd, a little sister to our son [name_u]Tyler[/name_u].

Since we found out we’re having a girl I’ve been favoring the name “[name_f]Clara[/name_f]”. I like how simple it is, its two syllable cadence, and that it’s classic but not that common in my area ([name_m]New[/name_m] [name_f]England[/name_f], US). It’s easy to pronounce and easy to spell too, which are nice.

I’ve been having some hesistatons though… Something about “-lar” sounds a little harsh to me. Based on that I’m looking for recommendations with a similar vibe (classic, easy to pronounce), but perhaps with a softer sound. For instance I like [name_f]Alaina[/name_f] and [name_f]Juliana[/name_f] but my husband thinks they’re both too long (yeah, I don’t get it either :wink: )…

Please let me know your thoughts and any other names that come to mind.

I’d welcome middle name suggestions too! Thanks for your help!!

I’m from [name_m]New[/name_m] [name_f]England[/name_f] too and I know of a few [name_f]Claire[/name_f]'s and a [name_u]Blair[/name_u] but no [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. I don’t find it harsh but you also want to enjoy how it sounds coming out of your mouth infinite times per day.

Your husband’s “long” names are short for me!

[name_f]Alina[/name_f]
[name_f]Belle[/name_f]
[name_f]Bryna[/name_f]
[name_f]Elsa[/name_f]
[name_u]Emery[/name_u]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Gemma[/name_f]
[name_f]Lena[/name_f]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeva[/name_f]
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Sanna[/name_f]

What’s your style of middle name? Something similar, more modern, etc.?

Names with a soft sound, and similar to [name_f]Clara[/name_f]…

[name_f]Cara[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora/name_f
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Mila[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Ayla[/name_f]
[name_f]Mara[/name_f]
[name_f]Calla[/name_f]

Good luck!

Hey, I like [name_f]Alaina[/name_f] and I don’t think it’s long at all? lol. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] goes well with [name_u]Tyler[/name_u] and I’ve always said the name wait a -lair instead of a -lar, but that’s just me.

Here are some names similar to [name_f]Clara[/name_f] that you might like:
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_u]Ariel[/name_u]
[name_f]Lara[/name_f]
[name_f]Gemma[/name_f]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]

Names that are similar to [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Juliana[/name_f] and [name_f]Alaina[/name_f]

[name_f]Julia[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Lara[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Cara[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Leila[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]
[name_f]Camilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Mila[/name_f]

A fellow [name_m]New[/name_m] Englander, nice! [name_m]Hi[/name_m] neighbor :slight_smile:

As far as my husband’s take on “long” names… I agree, I don’t think they’re long either. I think what he really means is that he prefers 2 syllable names to those with 3 or 4 syllables. I’m going to try to work on him for [name_f]Juliana[/name_f] though… I think that one has so many pretty nickname options ([name_u]Julie[/name_u], [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_f]Lia[/name_f], [name_f]Ana[/name_f])

As far as [name_f]Clara[/name_f], I do still like it, just trying to see if there are any I love more. Nice to hear that you don’t find the sound to be harsh though! I know some of my hesitation comes from the fact that a couple family members don’t care for it. I asked them to be honest so no hard feelings there, I’m sure that’s influencing my second guessing though.

I love your [name_f]Alina[/name_f], [name_f]Lena[/name_f], and [name_f]Luna[/name_f] suggestions. Hmmm… I sense a trend, looks like I gravitate to names with L’s and A’s in them…

As far as middle names, I like classic short middle names like [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (although [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is taken in my family). I’m open to other more modern combos too though.

@Justthinkin

A fellow [name_m]New[/name_m] Englander, nice! [name_m]Hi[/name_m] neighbor ”

As far as my husband’s take on “long” names… I agree, I don’t think they’re long either. I think what he really means is that he prefers 2 syllable names to those with 3 or 4 syllables. I’m going to try to work on him for [name_f]Juliana[/name_f] though… I think that one has so many pretty nickname options ([name_u]Julie[/name_u], [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_f]Lia[/name_f], [name_f]Ana[/name_f])

As far as [name_f]Clara[/name_f], I do still like it, just trying to see if there are any I love more. Nice to hear that you don’t find the sound to be harsh though! I know some of my hesitation comes from the fact that a couple family members don’t care for it. I asked them to be honest so no hard feelings there, I’m sure that’s influencing my second guessing though.

I love your [name_f]Alina[/name_f], [name_f]Lena[/name_f], and [name_f]Luna[/name_f] suggestions. Hmmm… I sense a trend, looks like I gravitate to names with L’s and A’s in them…

As far as middle names, I like some of the classic short middle names like [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (although that one is taken in my family). I’m open to something more modern too though.

[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Delia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Nina[/name_f]
[name_f]Lana[/name_f]
[name_f]Lona[/name_f]
[name_f]Nola[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
Mira
Una

I quite like [name_f]Clara[/name_f], actually! I always thought it sounded pure, but also down-to-earth. If [name_f]Alaina[/name_f] is too long for your husband’s liking, could you just cut it down a syllable? [name_f]Elaine[/name_f] is very pretty with a nice meaning, and it sounds alike.
[name_f]Lainie[/name_f] has the L and the A you like, and [name_u]Tyler[/name_u] and [name_f]Lainie[/name_f] sound kind of cute together. [name_f]Cora[/name_f] and [name_f]Isla[/name_f], maybe? I also really love [name_f]Lia[/name_f] as a name by itself.

[name_f]Chiara[/name_f]/[name_f]Ciara[/name_f]: These two beautiful, sweet names have many of the sounds of [name_f]Clara[/name_f], but without the “-lar.” They are three syllables, so barely longer than [name_f]Clara[/name_f], and are very feminine and lovely.
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]: A vintage classic, with such gentleness and grace.
[name_f]Grace[/name_f]/[name_f]Gracie[/name_f]: Speaking of grace, this virtue name is the epitome of a sweet classic.
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]/[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]/[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]: These names are classic and strong, but also very sweet and understated.
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]: Yet another beautiful, sweet-as-sugar nature name.
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]: This classic, like [name_f]Julianna[/name_f], is regal and elegant, but it also has a gentle sound.
[name_f]Aleah[/name_f]: If he thinks [name_f]Alaina[/name_f] is too long, then what about [name_f]Aleah[/name_f]? It has a very gentle, sweet sound, a great meaning, and is a bit shorter while retaining many of those sounds.
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]: Similar to [name_f]Clara[/name_f], but a bit more modern like [name_f]Alaina[/name_f] and without the “-lar” sound. Another option is the gorgeous, unique [name_f]Flora[/name_f].
[name_f]Edith[/name_f]: This name is one of the most charming, sweetest-sounding names out there. It is a classic, like [name_f]Clara[/name_f].
[name_f]Leila[/name_f]/[name_f]Lena[/name_f]/[name_f]Leia[/name_f]/[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]: Each of these sweet, striking names maintains the “l” sound of all of your favorites but is a bit shorter while losing absolutely no style. [name_f]Helen[/name_f] and [name_f]Helena[/name_f] are perhaps a bit longer, but a bit more classic and so stylish.
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]: Gosh, I truly love this name for you. [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is a bright, sweet, gentle classic, has the “l” sound, and is overall so wonderful. [name_u]Eloise[/name_u] is an equally wonderful selection.
[name_f]Laura[/name_f]: This “l” nature name is one of my favorites, with its nature connection, sweetness, and long history. It is one of the most classic names out there, and for good reason.
Any of these names works as a first or middle, but I especially like short, sweet virtue/nature names ([name_u]Ruby[/name_u], [name_f]Pearl[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Hope[/name_f], [name_f]Joy[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_u]Wren[/name_u], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], and [name_f]Faith[/name_f].) Now that I write it out, many if not all of these would make great firsts as well. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this was helpful, and best of luck with your choice. Congrats!

[name_f]Lana[/name_f]
[name_u]Lane[/name_u]
[name_f]Liana[/name_f]
[name_f]Leia[/name_f]
[name_f]Asha[/name_f]
[name_f]Alia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elaine[/name_f]

Names heavy with L’s and vowels are quite popular right now but it’s easy to see why, they flow so nicely right of the tongue.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like any of [name_f]Juliana[/name_f]'s nicknames as full names? Maybe when you say it, you should squish the two middle syllables together real fast, just to help him warm up to it lol.

Here are some middle name ideas:

[name_f]Belle[/name_f]
[name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_f]Coral[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
[name_f]Dot[/name_f]
[name_f]Fae[/name_f]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_u]Grey[/name_u]
[name_f]Jade[/name_f]
[name_u]Jem[/name_u]
[name_f]Jewel[/name_f]
[name_f]Kat[/name_f]
[name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_f]Paige[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Plum[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_u]Sky[/name_u]
[name_u]Story[/name_u]
[name_u]Teal[/name_u]

Some combos:
[name_f]Alaina[/name_f] [name_f]Belle[/name_f]
[name_f]Alina[/name_f] [name_u]Grey[/name_u]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_f]Jewel[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliana[/name_f] [name_u]Sky[/name_u]
[name_f]Lena[/name_f] [name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]

I love [name_f]Clara[/name_f], but I do pronounce it [name_f]Claire[/name_f]-uh instead of Clar-uh. What about just [name_f]Claire[/name_f]? Or [name_f]Clarice[/name_f] or [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] (maybe too long)?

Other suggestions (apologies for repeats): * for my favorites
[name_f]Stella[/name_f]*
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]/[name_f]Annie[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]*
[name_f]Delia[/name_f]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]*
[name_f]Lila[/name_f]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f]
[name_f]Layla[/name_f]
[name_f]Leia[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]*
[name_f]Mia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]*
[name_f]Lola[/name_f]
[name_f]Laura[/name_f]

Thank you so much for all of the thoughtful replies!!!

I really like [name_f]Lainie[/name_f] and [name_u]Tyler[/name_u] together @ kjglitter

@ danakatherine I love some of your suggestions too… [name_f]Laura[/name_f], [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]. [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is so cute too, although I don’t think I’d end up going with it (my mom was a huge My Fair Lady fan so I keep thinking of [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] Dolittle, great suggestion though!!)

Some other stand out from the other responses… [name_f]Willa[/name_f], [name_f]Mila[/name_f], [name_f]Mira[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. Thanks again everyone!

@justthinkin… I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Juliana[/name_f] [name_u]Sky[/name_u]!!! What a pretty combo! I never would have thought of that! Not sure if I’d be brave enough to use it ([name_u]Sky[/name_u] is a bold name I think) but I really really love it!!

Maybe what I need to do is narrow down to 4 or 5 favorites and then start playing around with the middle names… It’s amazing how sometimes they just jump off the page once a middle name is added. I’ll try the squishing syllable method too, he’ll never notice :wink: lol

@scater, I too pronounce [name_f]Clara[/name_f] it [name_u]Clair[/name_u]-a. I’m glad to hear you like it. It’s definitely still a contender. I’m just not 100% sure… Posting this has been such a huge help though!! I feel like you guys have helped lift my baby name writer’s block! :slight_smile:

I really like [name_f]Violet[/name_f] too which a few if you suggested. Thanks!!

[name_f]Aria[/name_f], [name_f]Alma[/name_f], [name_f]Audra[/name_f], [name_f]Alla[/name_f]
[name_f]Bea[/name_f], [name_f]Bella[/name_f], [name_f]Bria[/name_f]
Catia, [name_f]Clea[/name_f], [name_f]Carla[/name_f], [name_f]Cayla[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f], [name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Erica[/name_f], [name_f]Eda[/name_f], [name_f]Etta[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_f]Farrah[/name_f]
[name_f]Glenna[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f]
[name_f]Kyla[/name_f], [name_f]Keira[/name_f], [name_f]Kyra[/name_f]
[name_f]Lina[/name_f], [name_f]Lula[/name_f]
[name_f]Malia[/name_f], [name_f]Marla[/name_f], [name_f]Maya[/name_f], [name_f]Marta[/name_f], [name_f]Maia[/name_f]
[name_f]Nella[/name_f], [name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Perla[/name_f]
[name_f]Raina[/name_f], [name_f]Rosa[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f], [name_u]Sierra[/name_u], [name_f]Selah[/name_f], [name_f]Shayla[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f], [name_f]Sofia[/name_f], [name_f]Shira[/name_f]
[name_f]Tahlia[/name_f], [name_f]Tara[/name_f], [name_f]Tyra[/name_f], [name_f]Tirzah[/name_f], [name_f]Thea[/name_f], [name_f]Tia[/name_f]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]