Alternatives to Frances?

[name]Hi[/name] all!
We’re expecting a girl, and I couldn’t be more thrilled. My ultimate favorite girl’s name for at least the last decade is [name]Frances[/name]. I love the way it’s spelled, I love the way it sounds, I love the nn’s [name]Franny[/name] and [name]Frankie[/name], and I love the [name]Salinger[/name] character.
NOW, my husband has a VERY strong association with this name that I need to respect and thus, it is sadly out of the running.
I [name]ADORE[/name] the name [name]Fern[/name], and [name]Francine[/name] is really growing on me (and has the added bonus of the [name]Frankie[/name]/[name]Franny[/name] nn’s), but husband is lukewarm on both.
[name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Florence[/name] and [name]Flora[/name] are all lovely but really don’t sound great with the last name.
[name]One[/name] name that strongly appeals to both of us is [name]Felix[/name], but I read a nameberry post with such strong opinions about the name on a girl, that it’s scaring me off a little. I would hate for my little girl to go through life hating her name.
Other names we really like are [name]Roxy[/name], [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Charlie[/name], [name]Susannah[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name].
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for your help, all!

What about [name]Francesca[/name]? It’s similar to [name]Frances[/name] and you’d still be able to use the nicknames [name]Franny[/name] and [name]Frankie[/name].

I love [name]Frances[/name] too! Have you asked your husband about some other variations like [name]Francesca[/name] or [name]Franca[/name]? From your list, I like [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Susannah[/name], [name]Roxanna[/name] (nn [name]Roxy[/name]), [name]Ramona[/name] and [name]Fern[/name] (mn). [name]Charlie[/name] is a spunky nn for [name]Charlotte[/name] for me and I don’t find [name]Felix[/name] very attractive for a girl. Here are some other suggestions.

[name]Helen[/name]/[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Martha[/name]
[name]Sylvia[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Estella[/name]/[name]Estelle[/name]/[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Ada[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Lilian[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Persephone[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Dinah[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]/[name]Louise[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Verity[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Lucille[/name]/[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]

The only one I can think of is [name]Francesca[/name], but that may be still to close to [name]Frances[/name] for your husband. I personally love [name]Daphne[/name] from your list of names. I’m not fond of [name]Felix[/name] for a girl, I really think that it would be a great name for a boy. [name]One[/name] of the issues that I hear commonly is that a lot of great boy names are taken over to the girl side, and after awhile the name sounds solely feminine. The issue with this is there aren’t as many great boy names and there are thousands upon thousands of great girl names.

Thank you for the suggestions, all! Unfortunately [name]Francesca[/name] is more classic than vintagey for me (I like names that are slightly homespun American sounding), though paradoxically [name]Daphne[/name] falls in the former camp, yet I do love it. [name]Mischa[/name], thanks for the awesome list! I have a lot to chew on. [name]Dinah[/name] is so fun, I haven’t heard that one in awhile and find myself really liking it.

I agree that [name]Felix[/name] on a girl would be tough…what about [name]Felice[/name] instead?

Or [name]Felicity[/name] instead of [name]Felix[/name]?

Alternatives to [name]Frances[/name]:

[name]Franziska[/name] or [name]Francisca[/name] might appeal to you. [name]Marie[/name]-[name]France[/name] is another one that might work.

Alternatives to [name]Felix[/name]:

Some sources that I have state that [name]Felixa[/name] is a rare old Latin name. I also think [name]Feliciana[/name], [name]Felicienne[/name], and [name]Felicity[/name] are worth suggesting. Other names that I think could be appealing: [name]Fidelia[/name], [name]Faline[/name], [name]Faustine[/name] /[name]Faustina[/name] (which mean “lucky”, similarly to [name]Felix[/name]'s meaning of fortunate).

I love [name]Ramona[/name] and [name]Daphne[/name]! Some other ideas:

[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Fallon[/name]
[name]Fritzie[/name]
[name]Luella[/name]
[name]Beverly[/name]
[name]Birdie[/name]
[name]Cadence[/name]
[name]Johanna[/name]
Kincaid
[name]Shelby[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Pomona[/name]

Maybe would your hubby go for a double fn with [name]Frances[/name], like [name]Anna[/name]-[name]Frances[/name], hyphen or no hyphen, as you like it? We almost used [name]Anna[/name] [name]Frances[/name] with our dd, and I still love it, and you could still use the nns you love! My cousin is planning to use [name]Mary[/name]-[name]Frances[/name], which I think is really cute. We ended up putting [name]Frances[/name] as our dd’s mn and love it. If your hubby doesn’t love [name]Frances[/name], at least with a name like [name]Anna[/name] -[name]Frances[/name], he could call her the whole name or [name]Anna[/name], and you still get your [name]Franny[/name]/[name]Frankie[/name]!

I am going to start this by saying we have VERY different tastes in names. However; I will try.
[name]Fern[/name] I don’t really care for. It’s a bit bland for me, and even though I usually love nature names the plant doesn’t really help in this case. [name]Francine[/name] on the other hand I adore. I too am going to have to say I have strong feelings against using the name [name]Felix[/name] on a girl. It’s so traditionally masculine that I just see her being set up for a life of “no, that’s my name and yes I AM a girl”. [name]Roxy[/name] and [name]Charlie[/name] are both lovely, but a bit too nicknamey for me. And [name]Roxy[/name] will always be [name]Roxy[/name] [name]Hart[/name] in my mind. [name]Susannah[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name] I adore though. [name]Daphne[/name] is just lukewarm. Some other ideas:
[name]Constance[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Marian[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Agnes[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Lux[/name]
[name]Felicie[/name]
[name]Lucienne[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Romane[/name]
[name]Clemence[/name]
[name]Margaux[/name]
[name]Maxine[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Fay[/name]
[name]Helen[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Martha[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Inez[/name]

My great grandmother was named [name]Francesca[/name] and went by [name]Frances[/name]. I totally see it as vintage (she was born in [name]Austria[/name] in 1901, so when I think of her/ the name, I picture old silk wedding dresses, pearl earrings, and lace handkerchiefs)
I also love it pronounced “frahn-SEHSS-ka” which is Catalan.
I [name]LOVE[/name] the suggestion of [name]Faustina[/name]! That and [name]Fausta[/name] are two that I always dreamily sigh over.
[name]Fabienne[/name], [name]Fauna[/name], Fioralba, Femke, [name]Flore[/name], [name]Freya[/name] are all ones I love, too.
Good luck!

I vote for [name]Francine[/name] (since its similar to [name]Frances[/name] that you love). My second choice is an ultra-favorite of mine… [name]Susannah[/name].

[name]Love[/name] [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Susannah[/name] and [name]Ramona[/name]! Also love [name]Francine[/name].

[name]Francine[/name] is nice. I like that.

What about [name]Francis[/name] spelled different? Is it the spelling or the overall sound that turns your husband off it?

Other suggestions: [name]Fiona[/name], [name]Flannery[/name]

[name]Franka[/name]/[name]Franca[/name] comes to mind but is probably too European?
[name]Freya[/name], but probably the same thing.
[name]Florentine[/name] and [name]Florentina[/name], again, similar issue.
[name]Fauna[/name] or [name]Fawn[/name] is like [name]Flora[/name] and [name]Fern[/name] in some respects, but, do have other issues. I do like them though!

If you’re willing to consider [name]Felix[/name] for a boy…[name]Franklin[/name]?
I mean, I’d advise against it too, and it actually feels pretty different from [name]Frances[/name], but, that ending is feminine.
It’s American.
It’s also not really “in” for boys right now (as [name]Felix[/name] is), and so it feels up for grabs for the bold namer (like NB keeps suggesting [name]Vernon[/name], and [name]Lawrence[/name], and [name]Sheldon[/name], et al, are.)

Here are some more names with some sound overlap:

[name]Alice[/name] - seems to fit your bill and could work. In style.
[name]Beatrice[/name] - maybe a little too European? In style.
[name]Fernanda[/name] - not very [name]America[/name]
[name]Forest[/name]/[name]Forrest[/name] - more masculine, but could work in a surname-y way. Also, one of these “old boy’s name = bold girl’s name”
[name]Foster[/name] - more masculine, but could work in a surname-y way.
[name]Isis[/name] - not very American
[name]Iris[/name] - seems to fit your bill and could work. In style.
[name]Janice[/name] - fits your bill and could work, but feels kind of dated. However, some would say that about [name]Frances[/name] and [name]Francine[/name]!
[name]Nancy[/name] - fits your bill and could work, but feels kind of dated. However, some would say that about [name]Frances[/name] and [name]Francine[/name]!
[name]Rose[/name] - seems to fit your bill and could work. In style.