Alternatives to Marie

[name_f]Marie[/name_f] is an honorific name I would love to use for a daughter, but it feels overused in the middle. I don’t love it enough to use as a first either.

Here are two options I’ve come up with, but I don’t love either one:
[name_f]Maire[/name_f] - too much like mare?
[name_f]Mari[/name_f] - curious how other berries pronounce this, MAH-ree or [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. I prefer the former pronunciation.

Can anyone offer some suggestions on an honorific take on [name_f]Marie[/name_f]? [name_f]TIA[/name_f]!

I’d think [name_f]Mari[/name_f] is just [name_f]Marie[/name_f] misspelled and pronounce it the same way.

[name_f]Marie[/name_f]:
[name_f]Mariella[/name_f]
Marille
[name_f]Marine[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Manon[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Maria[/name_f]
[name_f]Marianne[/name_f]

Or a double name: [name_f]Marie[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Marie[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_f]Marie[/name_f] [name_f]Beth[/name_f]… you get the idea. Good luck!

[name_f]Maisie[/name_f] is interesting, thanks for your input!

In terms of double names, I am not a big fan of those. I love honorific middles, so if I did two it would likely be to honor two family members.

[name_f]Marielle[/name_f] and [name_f]Maribel[/name_f] both sound fresh to me.

ETA: [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] would also be nice – same Hebrew derivation as [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. [name_f]Maura[/name_f] is nice, too (Irish form).

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Mariette[/name_f] or [name_f]Marietta[/name_f]? And since they’re diminutives, it’s kind of like ‘little [name_f]Marie[/name_f]’, which I think is nice as an honorific.

[name_f]Mia[/name_f] is a short form of [name_f]Maria[/name_f] - which is similar to [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

Hmm, I can always count on nameberry :).

[name_f]Mia[/name_f] is adorable, but as someone with a mega popular name #6 is too high for my taste. It seems a little hard to fit in the middle, but it is definitely one to keep in mind in case it does flow.

[name_f]Marietta[/name_f] is a very interesting option. Another honor name I have in the list is [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f], and [name_f]Marietta[/name_f] feels like a fun spin on [name_f]Marie[/name_f] and [name_f]Bernadette[/name_f].

[name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Marietta[/name_f]!
Some others that came to mind-
[name_f]Mara[/name_f] or [name_f]Maura[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariela[/name_f]
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_u]Marian[/name_u]
[name_f]Marissa[/name_f]
[name_f]Marita[/name_f]

Oh, and for some reason I pronounced [name_f]Mari[/name_f] as [name_f]Mary[/name_f]… :frowning:

In my native language [name_f]Mari[/name_f] is pronounced Mah-ree

I have only heard of [name_f]Mari[/name_f] pronounced MAH-ree, but in the middle spot, it does kind of look like a misspelling of [name_f]Marie[/name_f] just because of how common [name_f]Marie[/name_f] is as a middle.

[name_f]Maire[/name_f] does seem too close to “mare” to me.

I’d consider using [name_f]Mae[/name_f] - still a somewhat common middle name but not nearly as overused as [name_f]Marie[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Marely[/name_f] or Marilly

I have a co-worker whose name is Marilys (pronounced mair-eh-liese or mair-eh-leez) which I think sounds really nice.

I would think [name_f]Mari[/name_f] is just a different way to spell [name_f]Mary[/name_f]…otherwise I’d pronounce it as [name_f]Mar[/name_f]-ee.

Sorry if there are any repeats. I just wrote down what sprang to mind.

[name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariana[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_u]Arie[/name_u] - like [name_f]Aria[/name_f] but without the second A sound
[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]
[name_f]Maria[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariah[/name_f]
[name_u]Marion[/name_u]/[name_f]Marien[/name_f]
[name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]

If you still can’t find a name you like then maybe consider trying to use there last name or even their middle name (I’m assuming [name_f]Marie[/name_f] is her first name). [name_m]Even[/name_m] something else, like their heritage or where they grew up can also be good inspiration. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] I help in some way, and good luck!

I’ve always loved [name_f]Maren[/name_f], [name_f]Maryse[/name_f], and Stellamaris.

My mn is [name_f]Marie[/name_f], and I rather hate it, so I’m a proponent of [name_f]Marie[/name_f] alternatives! I think [name_f]Mari[/name_f] is lovely–I’d say it like MAH-ree. I also like the idea of [name_f]Mar[/name_f]ée, which is technically not a name, I suppose, but the [name_m]French[/name_m] word for “tide”, which I think is rather lovely! I think [name_f]Mariana[/name_f], [name_f]Maria[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Marina[/name_f], or even the [name_m]French[/name_m] [name_f]Marine[/name_f] would be really nice, too. Or even a more inventive [name_m]French[/name_m] take on it, like [name_f]Malou[/name_f] (a combination of [name_f]Marie[/name_f] and [name_f]Louise[/name_f], I think?) or [name_f]Manon[/name_f] ([name_m]French[/name_m] diminutive for [name_f]Marie[/name_f]).

I’m rather fond of [name_f]Mary[/name_f], though! I don’t know that I’d use it up front, but I like it as a MN in some places, and I think [name_u]Eloise[/name_u] [name_f]Mary[/name_f] would be gorgeous, for example!

Good luck!

Wow thanks for all of the thoughts!

[name_f]Marie[/name_f] is in fact the middle name of two important people in my life. So, if I ever have a girl, I am certain it is going to have some incorporation somewhere. Like Ashthedreamer, I have a popular “filler” middle too, and want to avoid it. Maybe it doesn’t matter if it is done with intention. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is a suggestion I thought of, but I always wrote it off as difficult in the middle. I guess I have preconceived ideas about how middles sound.

I am very much into [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] at the moment, but it feels like a stretch.

I had a classmate in high school who was named [name_f]Mari[/name_f]…she pronounced it “MAWR-ee.”

Please excuse any repeats…

[name_f]Marin[/name_f]/[name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_f]Marine[/name_f]/[name_f]Marina[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariette[/name_f]/[name_f]Marietta[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariana[/name_f]/[name_f]Marianna[/name_f]/[name_f]Marianne[/name_f]
[name_f]Manon[/name_f]
[name_f]Maja[/name_f]
[name_f]Marinda[/name_f]
Maryrose
[name_f]Miren[/name_f]
[name_f]Maia[/name_f]
[name_f]Malia[/name_f]
[name_f]Malle[/name_f]
Mirele

I’m guessing you have considered [name_u]Marion[/name_u], [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_f]Miriam[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], but for what it’s worth I think they are all lovely. :slight_smile: There’s also [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] for a [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] twist.
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is an entirely different name for me, but of course it’s the thought that counts.

Have you thought of looking into foreign [name_f]Marie[/name_f] variations that could honour a loved one’s roots?

[name_f]Mairi[/name_f] - Scottish; pronounced “MAH-ree”
Moirrey - Manx; pronounced “[name_m]MOOR[/name_m]-ee”
[name_f]Manon[/name_f] - [name_m]French[/name_m] diminutive form
[name_f]Mairwen[/name_f] - Welsh for “blessed [name_f]Mary[/name_f]”
[name_f]Marika[/name_f] - Eastern European diminutive form
[name_f]Masha[/name_f] - Russian diminutive form
[name_f]Mariska[/name_f] - Dutch diminutive form
Maiken - Scandinavian diminutive form
[name_f]Mitzi[/name_f] - [name_m]German[/name_m] diminutive form

Good luck!

[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_f]Marianne[/name_f]
[name_f]Mieke[/name_f]
[name_f]Mia[/name_f]
[name_f]Maura[/name_f]
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_f]Malia[/name_f]
Mariedl (pr. Muh-ray-dul)
[name_f]Marielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Manon[/name_f]

I don’t know how well all of these would work in English-speaking countries, but I hope some of them are useful. Sorry for any I’ve repeated! :slight_smile: