Alternatives to Martha.

My 85 year old Grandmother is my hero and the most amazing woman in the world and I would love to honor her by naming one of my potential future daughters after her. Her name is [name]Martha[/name] [name]Dean[/name], and my sister has already been named [name]DeAnne[/name] after her and my aunt whose middle name was [name]Ann[/name]. So I’m looking for alternatives to [name]Martha[/name] or [name]Dean[/name]. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would [name]LOVE[/name] to hear them.

My other idea was to use her maiden name, [name]Gray[/name], but my boyfriend says it’s just a color and it seems dreary…

[name]Mara[/name] sounds a lot like [name]Martha[/name] but a more modern and unusual version.
[name]Deanna[/name] could be a variant on [name]Dean[/name] but probably too close to [name]DeAnne[/name].

Variants include:
[name]Marta[/name]
[name]Marcia[/name]/[name]Marsha[/name]
[name]Martella[/name]
[name]Martina[/name]

It also means “lady.” Other names wit hthe same meaning include:
[name]Donna[/name] (Italian)
[name]Freya[/name] (Norse)
[name]Sarah[/name] (Hebrew)
[name]Sari[/name] (Finnish version of [name]Sarah[/name])
[name]Kala[/name] (Hawaiian version of [name]Sarah[/name])

I love the name [name]Gray[/name]! Color names are hot right now and are continuing to grow.

I like the names [name]Mara[/name] or Marlina (Nn marla) . i think these are more modern :slight_smile:

Personally, I like [name]Martha[/name] better on its own than any of the suggestions so far. It’s sort of a serious name for a baby, but I think it (and [name]Mara[/name]) sounds more sophisticated and would age better than most of the others.

For [name]Dean[/name], how about [name]Nadine[/name]?

Trying to come up with difference names:

[name]Martine[/name]
[name]Margaretha[/name] ([name]Martha[/name] can be a short of this name)

[name]Matty[/name] used to be a medieval nickname for [name]Martha[/name] so any name that would yield that could work. Maybe [name]Matilda[/name] ([name]Mathilda[/name] or [name]Mathilde[/name], which resembles [name]Martha[/name]).

I love the name [name]Gray[/name] for a girl! If your husband doesn’t like it, what about [name]Grayson[/name]? I think that name is cute for a girl.

[name]Dean[/name] means valley, so maybe the name [name]Valley[/name]…? I know that’s a bit of a stretch, but it could still work.

I think that [name]Marta[/name] is adorable, and [name]Grey[/name] is cute too. You could also use [name]Grace[/name] in place of just [name]Gray[/name].

I love [name]Marta[/name] for [name]Martha[/name] and the suggestion of [name]Grace[/name] for [name]Gray[/name] is brilliant. [name]Marta[/name] [name]Grace[/name] is adorable at any age. [name]Mara[/name] is also sweet but I like the t sound in [name]Marta[/name], [name]IMO[/name] it adds a little something extra to the name.

[name]Madeline[/name] seems like a nice smoosh of both [name]Martha[/name] and [name]Dean[/name]. [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Gray[/name]/[name]Grace[/name] is lovely! Really like the suggestion of [name]Mathilde[/name] (also incorporates letters and sounds from both names).

ideas for [name]Martha[/name]:
[name]Margot[/name] * [name]LOVE[/name] this for you (incorporates the gra from [name]Gray[/name] and the [name]Mart[/name] from [name]Martha[/name]. Winner!)
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Marion[/name]

Ideas for [name]Dean[/name]:
[name]Delphine[/name] * love
[name]Claudine[/name]
[name]Ondine[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Denise[/name]

some more combos that have similar sounds to “[name]Martha[/name] [name]Dean[/name]”

[name]Margot[/name] [name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name] [name]Claudine[/name]
[name]Margot[/name] [name]Delia[/name]

[name]Delia[/name] [name]Marguerite[/name]
[name]Delia[/name] [name]Margot[/name]

Personally, I think [name]Martha[/name] is a beautiful and timeless name and is by far prettier than any “alternatives” for it:-)

I second [name]Mara[/name]! I think that it is spunky and modern! I am assuming that you don’t like [name]Martha[/name]…but I met an adorable little girl named [name]Martha[/name] the other day and I think it is coming back.

I think [name]Martha[/name] is fantastic, and it’s my favorite of anything mentioned so far. It’s feminine, but strong, and that’s a great sort of name for any girl.

I do like [name]Marta[/name] too, just not quite as much as [name]Martha[/name]. I prefer [name]Gray[/name] as a boy’s name, but it could be a good middle for either gender.

I really like [name]Martha[/name] itself honestly. Its classic, underused, people know how to spell it and pronounce it pretty much anywhere, and it really honours your family.

As previously posted i think [name]Martha[/name] [name]Nadine[/name] is BEAUTIFUL. [name]Nick[/name] names could be: [name]Mara[/name], [name]Matty[/name], Mana ([name]MArtha[/name] [name]NAdine[/name]), [name]Thada[/name], Thadie, or [name]Thea[/name]