Alternatives to Penelope?

I’ve been liking [name]Penelope[/name] lately, love the [name]Penny[/name] nickname in particular. Are there other names that get to the nickname [name]Penny[/name] that anyone can suggest?
Husband opposes [name]Penelope[/name] because he once knew someone with the name that he disliked.
Also, any suggested names that are long and feminine with a variety of cute nickname possibilities would be appreciated.

These names have a [name]Penelope[/name] feel to me:
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Pamela[/name]
[name]Patricia[/name]
Xanthea
[name]Lucinda[/name]
[name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Anastasia[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Rosaline[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name]
[name]Pandora[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Samantha[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Gillian[/name]
[name]Maxine[/name]
[name]Alexandra[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Cassandra[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]

I can only think of [name]Peony[/name]. I guess you could get [name]Penny[/name] from [name]Persephone[/name]?

Britishbabynames had an amazing blog post about different cute nicknames for classic long beautiful names. It’s here, just scroll a little bit down, maybe some of them will catch your eye.

I actually like [name]Penny[/name] as a standalone name. Ways to it other than [name]Penelope[/name]…
[name]Penina[/name]
Pennilyn (Yes the only place I’ve heard it was the character on [name]Gilmore[/name] Girls)
[name]Aspen[/name] (Totally different end of the spectrum)

Great list- thanks!

I thought of some of the suggested names but not others. Part of our challenge is fitting a name with her two elder sisters who both have classic names. Husband opposes nicknames as stand alone names, I am not a huge fan either even if I do love tge nickname. So [name]Penny[/name] alone is out.

[name]Virginia[/name] nickname [name]Ginny[/name] would be pretty classic, or [name]Linnea[/name] nickname [name]Linnie[/name].

Or if you’re willing to really stretch you might be able to nickname a [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Penny[/name]. ([name]Josephine[/name] = [name]Giuseppina[/name] = [name]Penny[/name]).

Or I’ve met Hispanic women named Lupina. Or [name]Spencer[/name] if you like unisex surname names?

[name]Penina[/name]/[name]Peninnah[/name]/[name]Pnina[/name] is an option for [name]Penny[/name] that is a fairly obscure Biblical girl’s name. It’s not kreative but I’m not sure I could call it classic in English. (It’s more well-known in Hebrew).

[name]Lupe[/name]/Lupina is pretty.

I really like [name]Penelope[/name] though.

Classic with a lot of nicknames, with the nicknames listed from my favourite to least favourite:
[name]Rosemary[/name] - [name]Romy[/name], [name]Rory[/name], [name]Rosie[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] - [name]Libby[/name], [name]Lilibet[/name], [name]Lilibeth[/name], [name]Liz[/name], [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Bette[/name], [name]Betty[/name], [name]Beth[/name]… and more I can’t think of right now.
[name]Marguerite[/name] - [name]Maggie[/name], [name]Daisy[/name], [name]Rita[/name], etc.
[name]Susannah[/name] - [name]Susie[/name], [name]Suki[/name], [name]Sanna[/name]
[name]Katharine[/name] - [name]Kitty[/name], [name]Kay[/name], [name]Kat[/name], [name]Kate[/name], [name]Katie[/name], [name]Kathy[/name]. I like [name]Catherine[/name] NN [name]Cat[/name], though I would have no problem with a [name]Catherine[/name] being called [name]Kate[/name], I don’t think using [name]Catherine[/name] means you need to C-ify [name]Kate[/name]/[name]Katy[/name] etc which just looks awkward. [name]Katarina[/name] adds nicknames like [name]Reina[/name] and [name]Trina[/name].

[name]Persephone[/name] reminds me of [name]Penelope[/name] and you could still use penny.
[name]Josephine[/name] - I’ve heard people suggest [name]Penny[/name] as a nn for this.
[name]Calliope[/name] - don’t know about [name]Penny[/name], but I think if you like [name]Penelope[/name] you might like this.

[name]Calliope[/name] andpenina are ones I hadnt considered yet, let me think about that one. Husband not a big fan of [name]Josephine[/name]. I like [name]Persephone[/name] too, but probably more inclined tonuse [name]Percy[/name] as a NN with that.
We are considering [name]Marguerite[/name] as a MN (depending on First name choice) to honor our grandmothers, but maybe we ought to revisit that as a first name.

Maybe you could get [name]Penny[/name] from [name]Parthenia[/name]. [name]Parthenia[/name] was listed on the top 1000 names in the United States in the 1800s and early 1900s, and hasn’t charted since. You could also use the nicknames [name]Thea[/name] and [name]Nia[/name], if you find them appealing.

[name]Marguerite[/name] is lovely. If DH won’t do [name]Penelope[/name], and the older girls have classic names, then this is a nice fit. If you want a nickname, there are so many options ([name]Margot[/name], [name]Margie[/name], I even know a [name]Margie[/name] pronounced with a hard-G sound; or [name]Rita[/name] or [name]Greta[/name], etc.)

[name]Marguerite[/name] [name]Penelope[/name] is pretty (if your last name isn’t too long) and DH can stand [name]Penelope[/name] in the middle.

Thanks for the feedback! Wondering if any thinks [name]Polly[/name] has a similarcfeel to [name]Penny[/name]… Maybe [name]Pauline[/name]/a with a NN of [name]Polly[/name]?
I feel like this loses some of [name]Penelope[/name]'s elegance though.

[name]How[/name] do you feel about [name]Apolline[/name] or [name]Polina[/name] nn [name]Polly[/name]?

I like both, but i think the fit is off with her sisters ([name]Jane[/name] and [name]Vivian[/name]).

I am also taking a hard look at [name]Penina[/name]… But not sure if the pronunciation would be challenging for people unfamiliar with the name?

[QUOTE=kerrycl;1861050][name]Virginia[/name] nickname [name]Ginny[/name] would be pretty classicQUOTE]

[name]Love[/name] the suggestion of [name]Virginia[/name] nicknamed [name]Ginny[/name]!

[name]Polly[/name] is fabulous!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Penelope[/name]!! If our third child is another girl, she’ll finally be [name]Penelope[/name] (I let my husband make the final call on the first two). We’d call her [name]Nel[/name]! Oh, and her middle name would be [name]Hope[/name].

First daughter, [name]Anastasia[/name] ([name]Asia[/name]) [name]Grace[/name]
Second daughter, [name]Felicity[/name] ([name]Lici[/name]) [name]Joy[/name]

Pick something you love and don’t worry about what other people think!! Names are meant to be personal to you!

AT

I really like [name]Polly[/name] too. I’d use [name]Paulina[/name] nn [name]Polly[/name].