Alvadore...am I cursing my child with this name?

Considering Alvadore for a boy’s name. Its the name of the town where my husband grew up. We’d probably call him “[name]Al[/name]” but so far I’ve gotten a lot of negative reactions to the name. I like unusual name but I tend to trend a little more conservative when it comes to a boy’s name. Too weird?

First I [name]LOVE[/name] your name! Is [name]Irie[/name] your real/whole name or short for something or maybe just a screen name? I’ve read it is a Jamaican term. I love the sound and the meaning.

Okay back to business
I tried to look up Alvadore to find more info about it and only found that is a town. I really couldn’t find any other info about it other that and that it is a surname. You asked would you be cursing your child with this name. Did you mean because so far it hasn’t been received positively by other people or is there an infamous story behind the name?

I like place names. My daughters middle is a place name. I especially like place names if they have some significance to you.
Alvadore is new to me but it doesn’t put me off. It reminds me of [name]Belvedere[/name] for some reason.
“[name]Al[/name]” is a fine nickname if Alvadore proves to be too much name when he’s young.
[name]Alvin[/name] [name]Isadore[/name] is a just a suggestion . It is very similar in sound to Alvadore but keeps the first name more familiar.
Alvadore work great in the middle name spot as well, if you change your mind about using it as a first.
[name]Alvar[/name] and [name]Alvaro[/name] are also names that are similar in sound.

I love unusual names, but I’m just not loving Alvadore. Maybe it’s because I’m not a fan of the nickname “[name]Al[/name]” either.

I think it would be great as a middle name though!

I would say to use it as a middle name if you really like it, and go with something a little more classic as a first name

Good luck!

Close to [name]Salvador[/name]/[name]Salvatore[/name], so if I met someone with the name, I’d assume he was Spanish, Portuguese or Italian. That’s because, when I encounter a name for the first time, I assume it isn’t the first time the name has been used.

[name]May[/name] I ask what sort of negative reactions you got?

Well I hate to be the naysayer but I just am not diggin this name. And I’m pretty open to different and unique names
Alvadore just reminds me of a chipmunk gone wrong-- [name]Alvin[/name] and theodore smudged together. [name]Just[/name] missing [name]Simon[/name].

Not trying to be rude at all just my honest opinion :frowning:

Personally, I’m not a fan. If you do go with it though, I would just make sure to pair it up with a more traditional, classic name - maybe something shorter. I think that would balance it out best.

One thing to keep in mind is that this child will have his own personality and identity. [name]Will[/name] he have any connection to Alvadore? Would it be important to him?

Thanks for everyone’s input!
We’ve pretty much nixed Alvadore as an option…which means I’ll never get to say, “He’s Alvadorable!” Oh well. The current favorite is [name]Thomas[/name] Gustavs (we’d call him “[name]Gus[/name]”) which satisfies family tradition.
[name]Irie[/name] is the nickname we use for our daughter [name]Iris[/name]. But I do believe its Jamaican slang for “Everything’s alright” or something to that effect. It was the name of the protagonist in the novel “White Teeth” by [name]Zadie[/name] [name]Smith[/name] which is a great book. Also, I love the name [name]Zadie[/name]…a nice variation on [name]Sadie[/name]!

[name]Thomas[/name] Gustavs, nn [name]Gus[/name] is very handsome! :slight_smile: I like it!

[name]Thomas[/name] Gustavs nn [name]Gus[/name] is great :slight_smile: Congrats.

i like Alvadore but dislike [name]AL[/name]!

[name]Thomas[/name] Gustavs is very nice. We have a friend name [name]Gustavo[/name] who goes by [name]Gus[/name]. I think [name]Gus[/name] is a very friendly sounding name.

[name]Iris[/name] is one of my favorite names right now and I love [name]Irie[/name] as a nn for it :slight_smile: I think “Everything’s alright” is a pretty good meaning for a “name”.