Am I weird for liking Jean more than Jane?

I know that [name]Jane[/name] gets a lot of love here, and is considered very stylish. I like [name]Jane[/name] - a LOT, actually! - but lately I’ve been thinking about her similar sisters, [name]Jean[/name] and [name]Joan[/name]. I still don’t think I’m a fan of [name]Joan[/name] - she still sounds a bit frumpy and middle-aged. [name]Jean[/name], on the other hand, feels very fresh and unexpectedly pretty all of a sudden. What do you think, am I nuts?

I like both [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Jean[/name]. I agree with you on [name]Joan[/name].

You like what you like. [name]Don[/name]'t be sorry for it. [name]Jean[/name] is very nice. I’m partial to it because it was my grandmother’s name. Personally, I really hate [name]Jane[/name], and am on the fence about [name]Joan[/name].

I love [name]Jane[/name] and [name]Jean[/name] and [name]June[/name]…but I guess I’m all alone in my love of [name]Joan[/name]! Should I try to convince you?
From [name]Joan[/name] of [name]Arc[/name] to [name]Joan[/name] [name]Jett[/name] to [name]Joan[/name] [name]Didion[/name] to [name]Joan[/name] from Mad Men…is there a [name]Joan[/name] out there that isn’t awesome?
And isn’t nickname [name]Joanie[/name] adorable?? And so much better than [name]Joni[/name] (which just makes me think of high-pitched [name]Joni[/name] [name]Mitchell[/name] and looks to me like it would be pronounced [name]Johnny[/name] and ends in an “I” which seems so dated to me)
Anyways, [name]Joan[/name] rules. At least for a middle, right?

I like [name]Jane[/name] a little better, but I also think [name]Jean[/name] is nice. In fact the more I think about it the more I like it. Too bad it doesn’t go with my surname or I might think about it for my list.

I like all three! If I had to pick one, I think I do prefer [name]Jane[/name], strikes me as slightly more sophisticated, but like a pp said, I think [name]Joanie[/name] is adorable and [name]Joan[/name] is very strong.
I have many a [name]Jean[/name] in my extended family…some who went by [name]Jean[/name] and some [name]Jeannie[/name]. I like it as a first name, unfortunately I think it can go past cute and into backwoods very quickly as a mn (depending on the combination obviously).

[name]Glad[/name] to see some more [name]Jean[/name] love! I was really wondering what people thought, and if it was usable.

I can see the point with [name]Joan[/name] - there are a lot of awesome [name]Joan[/name] namesakes! With [name]Joanie[/name], though, I cannot get past “[name]Joanie[/name] loves Chachi” - I know it won’t be an issue for today’s kids, but it just wouldn’t work for me.

I love both!

[name]Jane[/name] is my middle and I hope to pass it on. I really like that it feels classic, sweet and fresh. It has a cleaner feel to me than [name]Jean[/name] if that makes any sense?

But I love [name]Jean[/name] too for it’s quirky vintage charm. I know a baby called [name]Ella[/name] [name]Jeanne[/name] (pronounced [name]Jean[/name] but the spelling is after her great-grandmother) and I think it really made the slightly overused [name]Ella[/name] feel more interesting and distinctive. I love it!

I agree with pp about not liking [name]Jean[/name] as a middle name. To me [name]Jean[/name] as a first name feels more fresh, whereas [name]Jean[/name] as a middle name seems really dated and overused.

I’m going to bump this once - just to see if there’s any more opinions! :slight_smile:

lizabethm and lori, I agree with you about not liking [name]Jean[/name] as a middle name as well. It feels tired that way - I’d only use it as a first! I feel the same way about [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Anne[/name] as I do about [name]Jean[/name] - quite overused as middle names, but fresh as firsts. :slight_smile:

Not nuts though I would lay odds that [name]Jane[/name] is a more liked name than [name]Jean[/name]. I personally am not a fan of [name]Jean[/name] though it’s okay for a mn-for example, I love [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Jean[/name].

[name]Don[/name]'t really love either sorry :confused:

I love [name]Jane[/name]. Not a fan at all of [name]Jean[/name], [name]Joan[/name], or [name]June[/name].

I much prefer [name]Jane[/name] (or [name]June[/name]), but [name]Jean[/name] is alright too. I like the “[name]Jeanne[/name]” spelling better.

I like [name]Jean[/name] spelled [name]Jeanne[/name], its dated but its a nice name.

I actually prefer [name]Joanie[/name] or [name]Jonie[/name]. [name]Jane[/name] is a little… plain [name]Jane[/name], and I have a bad association with [name]Jean[/name]. I do have a friend whose middle name is [name]Gene[/name], after her grandfather. I think it’s nice and unexpected.

I think [name]Jean[/name] is the prettiest and sounds the youngest, especially spelled Jeanne (and ready for a comeback!), [name]Jane[/name] is still plain but [name]Joan[/name] is my favorite and the most versatile.

Why not? Same with you, I also like [name]Jean[/name] more than [name]Jane[/name].

I like [name]Jean[/name]! I think [name]Jeannie[/name] would be an adorable nn name for a little girl. I like [name]Jane[/name] a lot as well, and I agree with you that [name]Jean[/name] does sound very fresh. I’ve only known one [name]Jean[/name] as a contemporary and she was very cool! Unexpected and sweet.
blankigirl

I have a great aunt named [name]Jean[/name] so it is old-ladyish for me