Amarina?

This is an Aboriginal word meaning “rain”. WDYT?

I can sort of see the appeal, but I don’t like it. Makes me think of the words marina (another word I don’t like used as a name) and aquamarine.

I have been looking for other names beginning with “Am”. I do like the name [name]Marina[/name], aside from the boats, but this name reminds me of [name]Araminta[/name], I was thinking Amarinta wasn’t quite right… I found [name]Amarantha[/name] (Greek, meaning “deathless”) and somewhat more exotic-sounding [name]Amira[/name] (Hebrew, fem. of [name]Amir[/name], meaning “treetop” or Arabic, fem. of [name]Amir[/name], meaning “prince”).

Amarina is ok. It’s not quite hitting me as spectacular, but then I don’t get why people only think of boats in a bad way when they hear the name “[name]Marina[/name],” or why some people adore [name]Araminta[/name]. I like the meaning of Amarina, and it carries some similarity to the popular [name]Amelia[/name], but is quite distinct. I knew someone name [name]Ama[/name] once, I would think over if you like the similarity to [name]Marina[/name]. For an aboriginal word or word-name, it certainly seems to blend in with the other styles of names from Europe, like [name]Arabella[/name], [name]Adriana[/name], [name]Annabel[/name], and like I said, [name]Araminta[/name] and [name]Amelia[/name]/[name]Amalia[/name]/[name]Amelie[/name]. I don’t know where you live, or how this name will be received, but it certainly blends in with current American tastes.

I think it’s pretty, but I see “a marina” when I look at the name.

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

One of my favs at the moment is [name]Amara[/name]. It is Greek and means eternally beautiful. It’s pronounced exactly as its spelt (a-mahr-a).

It’s pretty. [name]How[/name] r u pn’ing it? I see it as ah-marina.