Amaryllis nickname...?

Okay, so it is a matter of the distant future to name any children, but I adore the name [name]Amaryllis[/name]. The meaning, flower association, and beautiful sound are flawless! I’m a sucker for nicknames though. [name]Don[/name]'t get me wrong, I love the name as a whole, but I think a beloved nickname is always handy. I originally had [name]Amari[/name] or [name]Mari[/name] as designated nickname, but have lately been searching for other options. Not a fan of [name]Amy[/name] or Rylli, (sounds too much like really), or [name]Mary[/name]. I like Liss and Lissy, but that also happens to be my occasional nickname. So I have two questions:

1. My latest idea is to use combo [name]Amaryllis[/name] [name]Kerensa[/name] and use the nickname Amzie. (Am from [name]Amaryllis[/name], the z sound from [name]Kerensa[/name]). What do you think of this idea? Would Amzie work for just [name]Amaryllis[/name]? I also thought if Amzie was too childlike in sound, she could go by [name]Amari[/name] or [name]Mari[/name] as a teen.

2. I need your creativity, berries! Any other great nicknames for [name]Amaryllis[/name]? Can be a stretch, though not too far, obviously.

Thanks in advance!

Some pretty creative ones, since I’m almost stumped on nn’s for this one!

[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Amy[/name]
Rill
[name]Lissa[/name]
Lissy
Marill

I’m not sure I dig the z sound idea, but I think Amzie is cute!

Thanks! Unfortunately my favorite is Lissy, but that’s also my occasional nickname, haha.

I have an [name]Amaryllis[/name] in my classroom, but her parents always call her [name]Lily[/name], never by her full name. This may or may not be a stretch for you, but it has always made sense for her. I’m not a huge fan of Amzie, but I can see how it would be cute for a little kid. And if you like it, go for it. Good luck!

@kathrynsarah thanks for the suggestion, I think [name]Lily[/name] would be a feasible and lovely nickname.

I’m not a fan of Amzie…too strange and juvenile for anything other than an affectionate pet name. I do like [name]Amaryllis[/name] quite a lot, though.

Nn ideas: [name]Milla[/name], [name]Millie[/name], [name]Missy[/name], [name]Mara[/name], [name]Marilla[/name], [name]Lillis[/name], [name]Maisie[/name], [name]Maris[/name], Marilly/[name]Merrily[/name], [name]Merry[/name], Ames, Riss, [name]Marley[/name], [name]Marcy[/name], [name]Ally[/name], [name]Amie[/name], [name]Miri[/name], [name]Lyra[/name], [name]Lilla[/name], [name]Lilly[/name]

@niftylavalamp Wow, thanks for all the suggestions! Especially liking [name]Maisie[/name].

[name]Amaryllis[/name] goes on my list sometimes. Probably won’t end up using it though because my good friend wants to use [name]Amarantha[/name].

I like [name]Amy[/name] actually. But I had a “strange” name growing up and I like the flexibility of a very normal nickname. And [name]Amy[/name]'s “beloved” meaning is pleasant.

But [name]Millie[/name], [name]Mari[/name], [name]Mara[/name], and [name]Rilla[/name] all appeal to me somewhat. In the Victorian era, [name]Marilla[/name] was derived from [name]Amaryllis[/name], and [name]Rilla[/name] used for [name]Marilla[/name] sometimes.

[name]Lilly[/name] or [name]Lissa[/name] would be wonderful suggestions/nicknames for [name]Amaryllis[/name]. I like your picks [name]Amari[/name] and [name]Mari[/name] but don’t know if people would derive that those names come from [name]Amaryllis[/name]. If you got the patience to correct people then go for it I guess though :slight_smile: Maybe google books where the main character is called [name]Amaryllis[/name] pretty sure I read one in high school. You got me curious to look up the name meaning now :slight_smile:

For a very brief moment, I had the combo’s:

[name]Amaryllis[/name] [name]Bell/name(a)
[name]Amaryllis[/name] [name]Isabel/name(e)
[name]Amaryllis[/name] [name]Isabella[/name]

[name]Just[/name] to get the nickname, [name]Amabel[/name] - “loveable”. I came to the conclusion (with the help of a fantastic berry) that it was too ‘l’ heavy.
Afterwards, I have come up with other ‘mashed’ names from the middle name(s) I have choosen. So, according to what you have so far, we are on the same track when it comes to ‘mashing’.

I like when a pp suggested, [name]Marley[/name].

If you want to use the letters from [name]Amaryllis[/name] [name]Kerensa[/name], you can get the nicknames (they might be more of a stretch):

[name]Ali[/name]
[name]Allie[/name]
[name]Alma[/name]
[name]Alys[/name]
[name]Amaris[/name]
[name]Amina[/name]
[name]Ana[/name]
[name]Ama[/name]
[name]Anya[/name]
[name]Anais[/name]
Illyria
[name]Lea[/name]
[name]Lee[/name]
[name]Leia[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Lia[/name]
[name]Lila[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Lise[/name]
[name]Lisa[/name]
[name]Lissa[/name]
[name]Mara[/name]
[name]Maren[/name]

There are more names, I just chose a few. (I used a scramble site and entered your chosen first and middle names.)

Overall, I think it depends on what kind of nickname you want. Something frilly, spunky, tomboyish, etc.

@stripedsocks thanks for the suggestions, [name]Rilla[/name] is nice. I have nothing against [name]Amy[/name], but I think ppl would assume that’s her full name.

@karateleshi80 thanks for the feedback, I agree that [name]Lilly[/name] is lovely! [name]Amaryllis[/name] if Greek meaning ‘to sparkle’. Awesome, right?

@natural I love the idea of [name]Amabel[/name] as a smoosh nickname! Great idea.

I adore [name]Amaryllis[/name]–it’s a middle on my list but I like it in the FN spot, too. Amzie works, (and reminds me of Yzma’s disguise/anagram name from The Emperor’s [name]New[/name] Groove’s TV spinoff) but I can’t picture it on anyone over the age of ten. Personally, I would use [name]Marilla[/name], [name]Mara[/name] or [name]Rilla[/name] as a nickname. I think [name]Maisie[/name] is too much of a stretch, but [name]Millie[/name] works. And [name]Amara[/name] is a gorgeous option that means ‘lovely forever,’ according to NB.

@geeknamezyo I agree that Amzie would work only in childhood. Amarais a nice more sophisticated choice. Thanks!

[name]Ammy[/name] or [name]Marry[/name] would be my choices.

@renrose [name]Ammy[/name] is very cute! Thanks

Let me say first that I love the name [name]Amaryllis[/name] and I think [name]Ami[/name] (short a) and [name]Lyssa[/name] are cute.