Ambrose for a boy?

considering naming my first son [name]Ambrose[/name]… any opinions on this?

I love it!

I think [name]Ambrose[/name] is lovely, but possibly a little unrecognisable to modern ears - while as a whole name it is quite masculine, many of its nicknames ([name]Amy[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Amber[/name]) are feminine.

[name]How[/name] lovely to see [name]Ambrose[/name] again! :smiley:

I used it as a middle for my second boy: [name]Simon[/name] [name]Ambrose[/name]. I’d use it up front myself (I named [name]Simon[/name] when I was barely an adult and wasn’t brave enough then!), now and would probably nickname him Am, Bro, or use it as initials, like [name]AB[/name], AM, AJ, whatever. I’ve been liking [name]AB[/name] and AP as say aloud nicknames recently. I think [name]Ambrose[/name] is awesome!

Thanks for the replies, we love the name, but I tried it out on my hairdresser and she screwed up her face lol so I wasn’t sure about how it may sit with people. I don’t want my little boy getting teased because I liked an unusual name for this day and age… does it sound like a strong name?

Actually, it does sound strong to me. Something about the “br” combination feels tough, like [name]Bruno[/name]. :slight_smile:

i definitely think it sounds strong. it’s awesome! Seems like Brose would work as a nickname (even [name]Brody[/name]). I guess it depends on where you live, but I can’t see a kid getting made fun of for being named [name]Ambrose[/name]. I’m a fan.

I give another thumbs up to [name]Ambrose[/name], and I think it would work quite nicely for a boy these days.

I like it. It’s not a last name, which I don’t care for (at least I don’t think it is), and it’s a good saint’s name. :slight_smile: Always a plus for me, personally.

Is [name]Ambrose[/name] strong? Indeed he is! Think [name]Ambrose[/name] Bierce, [name]St[/name]. [name]Ambrose[/name] or [name]Stephen[/name] [name]Ambrose[/name]!

I think [name]Ambrose[/name] is awesome!

I like [name]Ambrose[/name] very strong to me :slight_smile:

I’m with you, if we have another boy his name is going to be [name]Ambrose[/name]!
I originally selected it as a middle name but realized I loved it more than my other first name choices
so now I’m in need of a new middle name!

If we have a girl she will be [name]Elsa[/name] [name]Fleur[/name].

I absolutely love this name! Great choice.

I love, love [name]Ambrose[/name]. It was my second choice for my son [name]Asher[/name]. :slight_smile:

My grandmother’s brother was [name]Ambrose[/name] [name]Bennett[/name] ([name]Bennett[/name] was the MN). I always thought that was such a handsome, dignified name.

I really, really like [name]Ambrose[/name]. I say go for it!

Im a big fan of [name]Ambrose[/name] Bierce so I think it’s a great name

Since [name]Ambrose[/name] is so thoroughly masculine (at least to me) I dont see how or why [name]Amy[/name], [name]Rose[/name], or [name]Amber[/name] would even be considered nn’s for this name. I would never think to call an [name]Ambrose[/name] [name]Amy[/name]. I dont think this would be an issue.

I adore [name]Ambrose[/name]! I think the Br gives it a strong feel.
I’d say go for it!

[name]Ambrose[/name] IS a boys name! Can’t imagine it on a girl! Meaning, origin and history of the name Ambrose - Behind the Name

I agree it sounds like feminine names - [name]Amber[/name] (my name :)) and [name]Rose[/name] - but [name]Ambrosia[/name] or Ambrosine would be the feminine form. Bro would be a masculine nickname. On second thoughts, you don’t even need to nickname him, do you? [name]Ambrose[/name] is only two syllables.

I really like it.