Amelia or Camilla

I have always loved [name]Amelia[/name], but fear it is getting a bit too popular. Lately, I have been thinking about [name]Camilla[/name] instead. [name]Both[/name] have the potential nn of [name]Millie[/name]. Thoughts on [name]Camilla[/name]?

I love [name]Amelia[/name] and [name]Camilla[/name]! both are very soft, timeless names in my mind. If you want to use [name]Millie[/name] for a nn though, I would use [name]Camilla[/name], just because later at school people may start calling her [name]Mia[/name], [name]Amy[/name], etc.

I prefer [name]Amelia[/name] as it is a little softer than [name]Camilla[/name]. [name]Camilla[/name] has a harder sound to me (not that it’s not nice). I prefer [name]Camille[/name].

However, that being said, [name]Camilla[/name] is much more unexpected of the two :slight_smile:

[name]How[/name] about [name]Camellia[/name], which is a type of flower and a great underused name.

[name]Amelia[/name] is really pretty. I love [name]Camille[/name] more than [name]Camilla[/name]. [name]Camille[/name] is one of my faves!

I have to agree that [name]Camellia[/name] is very beautiful - it’s my favorite of all that have been suggested so far . . . not sure, though, if you’ll quite get [name]Millie[/name] from that.
If you love [name]Millie[/name], have you considered [name]Millicent[/name]?

Thanks Guys! [name]Amelia[/name] is still my first choice. I’m not huge on nicknames, but think [name]Millie[/name] is cute used sparingly. [name]Do[/name] you think [name]Amelia[/name] is getting to be too popular?

It depends on what you consider “too popular”. While it’s rising, [name]Amelia[/name] still isn’t exactly the next [name]Emily[/name]. If you want people to be unfamiliar with the name, than yes, it is “too popular”. Otherwise though, I wouldn’t worry about it too much if you really love it.

Also [name]Camellia[/name] is a great suggestion; half way between [name]Amelia[/name] and [name]Camilla[/name].

I completely, completely understand the popularity issue, but I still prefer [name]Amelia[/name] to [name]Camilla[/name], which I think is due to what I view as [name]Camilla[/name]'s harsher sound (and visions of [name]Camilla[/name] [name]Parker[/name] Bowles). :slight_smile:

Like [name]Susan[/name], I love [name]Camille[/name].

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

I have to agree- I really like [name]Camille[/name]. I also like [name]Camilla[/name]. Either way, I think that [name]Milly[/name] is such a cute and great nickname! :slight_smile:

I like both! I really love [name]Amelia[/name], then when you suggest also [name]Camilla[/name], I think it’s cute. I don’t like the [name]ILLA[/name] so much as [name]Camille[/name] EEL. [name]Camilla[/name] or [name]Camille[/name] looks so pretty. I like [name]Millie[/name], but one of the girls in my neighborhood growing up was [name]Kami[/name], and I think her name must have been [name]Kamille[/name] (my mom might have known or guessed, so that’s my best answer). I know, with a K, but [name]Cammie[/name] is nice as [name]Millie[/name]. I also knew someone in my high school was named [name]Camille[/name]. It just seems like one of those names that’s always unusual, so it’s never really stylish or out of style, not that weird, but just off the beaten path.

[name]Amelia[/name], then, is a classic. I didn’t know anyone with that name growing up, so I think it is “in style” now that a lot of old-fashioned very pretty names are in style. I don’t think it is too popular, it is top 100 (68 right now), may be more or less popular in your home state. I don’t think it will gain a lot of favor as [name]Emma[/name] and [name]Emily[/name] had, mostly those names are more popular because more people favor that form of the name. It has a lot of familiarity and your daughter will probably always be happy with that name.

They are both really good, but I would say [name]Camilla[/name] is sort of more interesting because not many people choose it. [name]Amelia[/name] is, I would say “safer” but not that [name]Camilla[/name] is less safe, it’s just overlooked more. If you prefer [name]Amelia[/name], you need not look for or settle for a less popular choice just because it’s less popular. If [name]Camilla[/name] is not your favorite, don’t pick it. Pick your favorite, not something you might feel is a lesser alternate or imitation of it. I would tell you that [name]Amelia[/name], of those two, is also my favorite (including variant [name]Camille[/name]), but that I just get excited. I think [name]Camille[/name] or [name]Camilla[/name] would be an interesting choice, and not a very bad way to go.

I think [name]Amelia[/name] is the nicer of the two names, and I don’t think that the popularity is going to be an issue. It’s not like [name]Emily[/name] or [name]Isabella[/name] or [name]Sophia[/name], where it seems as though every 5th child has one of those names. [name]Camilla[/name] sounds sort of flat to me, I guess. I prefer the sound of the -lia ending to the -la ending. [name]Millie[/name], however, does absolutely nothing for a nickname. While usually nicknames don’t bother me, in this case I think the full name stands better on its own than as a way to get to the nickname, which is not nearly as classy.

[name]Amelia[/name] and [name]Camilla[/name] are just about a tie in my book, both being wonderful choices. I like the [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Earhart[/name] connotation and dislike the [name]Camilla[/name] [name]Parker[/name] Bowles connotation but since I’m in the states I don’t think the latter is too strong to be overlooked. I also like [name]Camellia[/name] and [name]Camille[/name]. I would like [name]Amelia[/name] better if it weren’t quite so close to [name]Emily[/name]. To be fair, it’s not extremely close but I suspect it’s close enough that it’s likely to continue rising in popularity quite a bit as people try to capture that appealing [name]Emily[/name] sound without choosing the uber-popular name itself, as [name]Emma[/name] has already demonstrated. I imagine someone taking role with a string of [name]Emily[/name], [name]Amelie[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Emma[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Emerson[/name], [name]Emery[/name]… Those are all separate, cool names but difficult to distinguish when lumped together. I’m optimistic that people are embracing many new sounds, too, though, so perhaps this worst-case-scenario for [name]Amelia[/name] has already passed us by (I hope so). In which case maybe we would have something like [name]Emily[/name], [name]Lilah[/name], [name]Emma[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Leila[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Lilia[/name], [name]Emerson[/name], [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Emery[/name], [name]Lola[/name]. I’m just teasing you now! :wink:

Seriously, though, [name]Amelia[/name] is still only #68, so I wouldn’t hesitate to use it if it were my favorite. [name]Camilla[/name] is cool and should be used more but don’t feel obligated to if you prefer [name]Amelia[/name].

Oh, I love them both! They are both such beautiful, beautiful names; I don’t think you can go wrong with either one! I slightly prefer [name]Camilla[/name] (I think the nickname “[name]Cam[/name]” is precious) and I do quite love [name]Camille[/name], as well.

All I can think of is [name]Camilla[/name] [name]Parker[/name] Bowles but if you get past that it is a pretty name.