Amelia vs Emilia vs Emiliana vs Marina ♦

Not TTC, but I would like your opinions on this matter please :slight_smile: The name Mia has always been close to my heart, but since I cannot use it as a first name, I’m hoping to use it as a nickname someday. There are more worries to my remaining options though:

• I love the look of Amelia, but I prefer how Emilia sounds in Spanish.
• I would not want Emilia to be shortened to “Emmy”, I could always introduce her as “Mia” and maybe it’ll stick?
• My SO has a niece named Emma.
• I’m in the US, and Emilia & Amelia are both very popular, not to mention will rise in popularity over the next few years.
• Which brings us to Marina, I love the sound of, but it reminds my SO of an actual marina. Is this such an unappealing word-name?
• Emiliana, beautiful sound, but a little too long compared to my other girl names, like Vida, Alba, etc…

I’m confused about which name to stick with. Should I just let go of my popularity worry? Which is your favorite with the nickname “Mia”? I would appreciate any feedback, thank you in advance!

4 Likes

I think [name_f]Mia[/name_f] is the most “natural” for [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] or [name_f]Marina[/name_f], though it works for all 4. [name_f]Marina[/name_f], the word, brings really beautiful imagery to mind for me.
Popularity is subjective: I personally wouldn’t want to have a name as popular as [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], someone else might love it. Everyone has different opinions so you just have to find what works and doesn’t work for you!
Other names with the nickname [name_f]Mia[/name_f]:
[name_f]Milena[/name_f]
[name_f]Miranda[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]

3 Likes

I think [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] works better for [name_f]Mia[/name_f], I’d default to [name_f]Millie[/name_f] probably rather than [name_f]Emmy[/name_f], but it’s easy to fix
[name_f]Amalia[/name_f] maybe? [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]? [name_f]Camelia[/name_f]? [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] could work too

1 Like

@emmievis I am so glad [name_f]Marina[/name_f] brings beautiful imagery to mind for you! I feel the same. & Thank you for the suggestions, [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is also one I’d consider in a heartbeat!

@Raven-1013 Ooh [name_f]Millie[/name_f] is adorable, I honestly wouldn’t mind it either, or her having two nicknames :slight_smile: Thank you so much!

2 Likes

[name_f]Emiliana[/name_f] is gorgeous! It is by far my favorite of your list. If you intend to call her ‘Mia’ almost exclusively, I don’t think it matters that it’s much longer than your other favorites. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@elanorelle I didn’t even think about that, thank you for your feedback! That makes me feel better :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I have a friend named [name_f]Marina[/name_f] and she loves her name, and suits it so well! It’s lovely :relaxed: I would say my favourite would be [name_f]Marina[/name_f] nn [name_f]Mia[/name_f], followed by [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Mia[/name_f]! Amelia/Emilia nn [name_f]Mia[/name_f] makes me think of The [name_f]Princess[/name_f] Diaries :relaxed:

1 Like

For a long time I had [name_u]Maria[/name_u] with the nickname [name_f]Mia[/name_f] very high on my list!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] thoughts…

[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]–This is my favorite from your list! It just feels like such a warm, happy name to me. Plus I knew a little [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] “Mia” and it suited her perfectly! I actually love how [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] sounds in Spanish, but there’s definitely a bit more of a difference between the [name_f]English[/name_f] and Spanish pronunciations for [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] than [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], so I understand preferring the latter for that reason! I can see what you mean about the popularity of both this and Emilia; I’m not really deterred by it personally, but I definitely get wanting to avoid it.

[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]–I could see this being shortened to [name_f]Emmy[/name_f], but I don’t think it’s inevitable. Honestly, I think it will take a bit of effort to get [name_f]Mia[/name_f] to stick as a nickname for any of these names (although I definitely think it’s doable–see above real life example!). I don’t think [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] are dealbreaker-level close for cousins, if that’s one of the main factors holding you back. All that being said, I really prefer [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] over [name_f]Emilia[/name_f].

[name_f]Marina[/name_f]–This is my second choice from your list! I think it’s beautiful, and definitely works as a long form for [name_f]Mia[/name_f]. I don’t find it unappealing at all; I’m obviously aware of the word, but if I heard [name_f]Marina[/name_f] in the context of meeting a person, I would just think of it as a name. I do love the previous suggestion of [name_u]Maria[/name_u] as an alternative too though!

[name_f]Emiliana[/name_f]–Pretty! A little too frilly for my personal taste, but I can definitely appreciate the appeal. It does seem a bit mismatched with a sibling like [name_u]Vida[/name_u] or [name_f]Alba[/name_f], but I don’t think that has to be a dealbreaker by any means if you love it!

Overall, [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Marina[/name_f] gets my vote! Other ideas…

[name_f]Amina[/name_f] “Mia”
[name_f]Camellia[/name_f] “Mia”
[name_f]Melina[/name_f] “Mia”
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f] “Mia”
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] “Mia”
[name_f]Noemí[/name_f] “Mia”
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f] “Mia”
[name_f]Romina[/name_f] “Mia”
[name_f]Simona[/name_f] “Mia”

1 Like

Sound is important. Although I prefer [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] to [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], if you like the sound of [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] better, that’s important.

I doubt it would be shortened to [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] unless she wanted it to be.

I like [name_f]Marina[/name_f] best of the three. It reminds me of [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] and is a real name, not just the name of a marina. :slight_smile:

I would explore more names with the nn [name_f]Mia[/name_f]. I think there must be a lot of them out there.

1 Like

Marina!! It’s so pretty :heart:

1 Like

[name_f]Marina[/name_f] nn [name_f]Mia[/name_f] is so beautiful! [name_f]Marina[/name_f] brings to mind beautiful oceans and imagery of sunsets over the water. [name_f]Emiliana[/name_f] is my 2nd favorite!

1 Like

These are all such beautiful names! I don’t think any of them necessarily have a default nickname so you could make [name_f]Mia[/name_f] work for any of them. I like [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] as a whole name but [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] for the nicknames for some reason. Since [name_f]Emmy[/name_f], [name_f]Millie[/name_f] and [name_f]Mia[/name_f] are all familiarly used I don’t think people would automatically choose unless you tell them. I think [name_f]Marina[/name_f] is pretty and it didn’t make me think of boats immediately :blush: I think I like this one best for the nickname [name_f]Mia[/name_f]!
Have you considered [name_f]Mary[/name_f] nickname [name_f]Mia[/name_f]? I feel like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] could with [name_u]Vida[/name_u] and [name_f]Alba[/name_f]. But maybe the [name_f]Mia[/name_f] nickname wouldn’t be as intuitive.

Maybe:
[name_f]Mara[/name_f]
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_f]Manuela[/name_f]
[name_f]Minetta[/name_f]
or
[name_f]Marilla[/name_f]
Could get to [name_f]Mia[/name_f] :relaxed:

1 Like

@leafsgirl44 I loved the [name_f]Princess[/name_f] Diaries! That’s probably why my favorite look and spelling is [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] :slight_smile: I’m so happy to hear the [name_f]Marina[/name_f] you know loves her name as well!

@dandy_orchid Thank you for such a thoughtful & lengthy reply! It really helps to know everyone’s thoughts on each name. I think [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] nn “Mia” would be the sweetest thing honestly, but after reading everyone’s reply’s, I’m realizing that [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] or [name_f]Marina[/name_f] might be the way to go for us, that is unless one day I can grow to love how [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] sounds in Spanish! I’m glad [name_f]Marina[/name_f] is your second choice, perhaps I can convince my SO on it too :blush: & Thank you for suggestions, I have my eye on [name_f]Romina[/name_f], [name_f]Amina[/name_f], & [name_f]Melina[/name_f]!

@oregano7 @Harvest-Endellion @NameLover2020 @crabsandquails @crabbycuties Thank you all so much! I didn’t think [name_f]Marina[/name_f] would get this much love, but it is a very beautiful name, and you all have quickly made it soar to the top for me, so thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’ve also considered the name [name_f]Ameline[/name_f], but don’t love it as much as the others yet.

2 Likes

I really like [name_f]Marina[/name_f] for you!

1 Like

Yep, Marina’s one of my favorite names! But I really like [name_f]Ameline[/name_f] and [name_f]Romina[/name_f] too. You might also like [name_f]Maxima[/name_f] or [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f] :slight_smile:

1 Like
  • I like [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and I prefer the [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] spelling over the [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] spelling. [name_f]Mia[/name_f] would be quite a natural nickname result too of those names, again, I’d choose [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] over [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], I think the ‘E’ spelling would actually end up being called [name_f]Em[/name_f] all the time.
    [name_f]Marina[/name_f] - while I like the name and it does carry some summery and cool connotations (such as [name_f]Marina[/name_f] & the Diamonds) I don’t see how the nickname [name_f]Mia[/name_f] would come out of it. Sorry, but it’s a stretch
    [name_f]Emiliana[/name_f] - adore the name, length doesn’t matter to me especially since you plan to have her go by [name_f]Mia[/name_f]. It’s rarer than any of the others and just as feminine
1 Like