Amelia vs Emilia vs Emiliana vs Marina ♦

Not TTC, but I would like your opinions on this matter please :slight_smile: The name Mia has always been close to my heart, but since I cannot use it as a first name, I’m hoping to use it as a nickname someday. There are more worries to my remaining options though:

• I love the look of Amelia, but I prefer how Emilia sounds in Spanish.
• I would not want Emilia to be shortened to “Emmy”, I could always introduce her as “Mia” and maybe it’ll stick?
• My SO has a niece named Emma.
• I’m in the US, and Emilia & Amelia are both very popular, not to mention will rise in popularity over the next few years.
• Which brings us to Marina, I love the sound of, but it reminds my SO of an actual marina. Is this such an unappealing word-name?
• Emiliana, beautiful sound, but a little too long compared to my other girl names, like Vida, Alba, etc…

I’m confused about which name to stick with. Should I just let go of my popularity worry? Which is your favorite with the nickname “Mia”? I would appreciate any feedback, thank you in advance!

4 Likes

I think Mia is the most “natural” for Emilia or Marina, though it works for all 4. Marina, the word, brings really beautiful imagery to mind for me.
Popularity is subjective: I personally wouldn’t want to have a name as popular as Amelia, someone else might love it. Everyone has different opinions so you just have to find what works and doesn’t work for you!
Other names with the nickname Mia:
Milena
Miranda
Matilda
Minerva

3 Likes

I think [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] works better for [name_f]Mia[/name_f], I’d default to [name_f]Millie[/name_f] probably rather than [name_f]Emmy[/name_f], but it’s easy to fix
[name_f]Amalia[/name_f] maybe? [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]? [name_f]Camelia[/name_f]? [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] could work too

1 Like

@tallemaja I am so glad Marina brings beautiful imagery to mind for you! I feel the same. & Thank you for the suggestions, Matilda is also one I’d consider in a heartbeat!

@Raven-1013 Ooh Millie is adorable, I honestly wouldn’t mind it either, or her having two nicknames :slight_smile: Thank you so much!

2 Likes

[name_f]Emiliana[/name_f] is gorgeous! It is by far my favorite of your list. If you intend to call her ‘Mia’ almost exclusively, I don’t think it matters that it’s much longer than your other favorites. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@elanorelle I didn’t even think about that, thank you for your feedback! That makes me feel better :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I have a friend named [name_f]Marina[/name_f] and she loves her name, and suits it so well! It’s lovely :relaxed: I would say my favourite would be [name_f]Marina[/name_f] nn [name_f]Mia[/name_f], followed by [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Mia[/name_f]! Amelia/Emilia nn [name_f]Mia[/name_f] makes me think of The [name_f]Princess[/name_f] Diaries :relaxed:

1 Like

For a long time I had [name_u]Maria[/name_u] with the nickname [name_f]Mia[/name_f] very high on my list!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] thoughts…

[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]–This is my favorite from your list! It just feels like such a warm, happy name to me. Plus I knew a little [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] “Mia” and it suited her perfectly! I actually love how [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] sounds in Spanish, but there’s definitely a bit more of a difference between the [name_f]English[/name_f] and Spanish pronunciations for [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] than [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], so I understand preferring the latter for that reason! I can see what you mean about the popularity of both this and Emilia; I’m not really deterred by it personally, but I definitely get wanting to avoid it.

[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]–I could see this being shortened to [name_f]Emmy[/name_f], but I don’t think it’s inevitable. Honestly, I think it will take a bit of effort to get [name_f]Mia[/name_f] to stick as a nickname for any of these names (although I definitely think it’s doable–see above real life example!). I don’t think [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] are dealbreaker-level close for cousins, if that’s one of the main factors holding you back. All that being said, I really prefer [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] over [name_f]Emilia[/name_f].

[name_f]Marina[/name_f]–This is my second choice from your list! I think it’s beautiful, and definitely works as a long form for [name_f]Mia[/name_f]. I don’t find it unappealing at all; I’m obviously aware of the word, but if I heard [name_f]Marina[/name_f] in the context of meeting a person, I would just think of it as a name. I do love the previous suggestion of [name_u]Maria[/name_u] as an alternative too though!

[name_f]Emiliana[/name_f]–Pretty! A little too frilly for my personal taste, but I can definitely appreciate the appeal. It does seem a bit mismatched with a sibling like [name_u]Vida[/name_u] or [name_f]Alba[/name_f], but I don’t think that has to be a dealbreaker by any means if you love it!

Overall, [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Marina[/name_f] gets my vote! Other ideas…

[name_f]Amina[/name_f] “Mia”
[name_f]Camellia[/name_f] “Mia”
[name_f]Melina[/name_f] “Mia”
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f] “Mia”
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] “Mia”
[name_f]Noemí[/name_f] “Mia”
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f] “Mia”
[name_f]Romina[/name_f] “Mia”
[name_f]Simona[/name_f] “Mia”

1 Like

Sound is important. Although I prefer [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] to [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], if you like the sound of [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] better, that’s important.

I doubt it would be shortened to [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] unless she wanted it to be.

I like [name_f]Marina[/name_f] best of the three. It reminds me of [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] and is a real name, not just the name of a marina. :slight_smile:

I would explore more names with the nn [name_f]Mia[/name_f]. I think there must be a lot of them out there.

1 Like

Marina!! It’s so pretty :heart:

1 Like

[name_f]Marina[/name_f] nn [name_f]Mia[/name_f] is so beautiful! [name_f]Marina[/name_f] brings to mind beautiful oceans and imagery of sunsets over the water. [name_f]Emiliana[/name_f] is my 2nd favorite!

1 Like

These are all such beautiful names! I don’t think any of them necessarily have a default nickname so you could make [name_f]Mia[/name_f] work for any of them. I like [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] as a whole name but [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] for the nicknames for some reason. Since [name_f]Emmy[/name_f], [name_f]Millie[/name_f] and [name_f]Mia[/name_f] are all familiarly used I don’t think people would automatically choose unless you tell them. I think [name_f]Marina[/name_f] is pretty and it didn’t make me think of boats immediately :blush: I think I like this one best for the nickname [name_f]Mia[/name_f]!
Have you considered [name_f]Mary[/name_f] nickname [name_f]Mia[/name_f]? I feel like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] could with [name_u]Vida[/name_u] and [name_f]Alba[/name_f]. But maybe the [name_f]Mia[/name_f] nickname wouldn’t be as intuitive.

Maybe:
[name_f]Mara[/name_f]
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_f]Manuela[/name_f]
[name_f]Minetta[/name_f]
or
[name_f]Marilla[/name_f]
Could get to [name_f]Mia[/name_f] :relaxed:

1 Like

@leafsgirl44 I loved the Princess Diaries! That’s probably why my favorite look and spelling is Amelia :slight_smile: I’m so happy to hear the Marina you know loves her name as well!

@dandy_orchid Thank you for such a thoughtful & lengthy reply! It really helps to know everyone’s thoughts on each name. I think Amelia nn “Mia” would be the sweetest thing honestly, but after reading everyone’s reply’s, I’m realizing that Emilia or Marina might be the way to go for us, that is unless one day I can grow to love how Amelia sounds in Spanish! I’m glad Marina is your second choice, perhaps I can convince my SO on it too :blush: & Thank you for suggestions, I have my eye on Romina, Amina, & Melina!

@oregano7 @Harvest-Endellion @NameLover2020 @crabsandquails @crabbycuties Thank you all so much! I didn’t think Marina would get this much love, but it is a very beautiful name, and you all have quickly made it soar to the top for me, so thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’ve also considered the name Ameline, but don’t love it as much as the others yet.

2 Likes

I really like [name_f]Marina[/name_f] for you!

1 Like

Yep, Marina’s one of my favorite names! But I really like [name_f]Ameline[/name_f] and [name_f]Romina[/name_f] too. You might also like [name_f]Maxima[/name_f] or [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f] :slight_smile:

1 Like
  • I like [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] and I prefer the [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] spelling over the [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] spelling. [name_f]Mia[/name_f] would be quite a natural nickname result too of those names, again, I’d choose [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] over [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], I think the ‘E’ spelling would actually end up being called [name_f]Em[/name_f] all the time.
    [name_f]Marina[/name_f] - while I like the name and it does carry some summery and cool connotations (such as [name_f]Marina[/name_f] & the Diamonds) I don’t see how the nickname [name_f]Mia[/name_f] would come out of it. Sorry, but it’s a stretch
    [name_f]Emiliana[/name_f] - adore the name, length doesn’t matter to me especially since you plan to have her go by [name_f]Mia[/name_f]. It’s rarer than any of the others and just as feminine
1 Like