Ames

This name recently came to me - not sure how - but I really find myself liking it. At first, I wasn’t even sure it was an actual name, but thanks to NB, I found that it is real and it’s meaning is “friend”. So, that makes me like it even more!

I think I’m just looking for general impressions/feedback.

Have you ever heard of [name_m]Ames[/name_m]? Does it sound like a wearable name?

Would love some combo suggestions as well. Last name is 3 syllables, ending with a long -o. Our favorite boy name is [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] (which will likely be a FN choice, so I don’t think I want it paired with Ames), and others we’ve discussed are [name_u]Miles[/name_u], [name_m]Cormac[/name_m], and Everett…just to give you an idea of our style.

Thanks!

I’ve loved [name_m]Ames[/name_m] since I first heard in on one of the contestants on The Bachelorette ages ago! Since then it’s been on and off my list. I love it as a nickname for [name_u]James[/name_u] or [name_u]Amos[/name_u], but it also is handsome on its own. [name_m]Ames[/name_m] would go well in a sibset with [name_u]Maxwell[/name_u] or any of the other choices you mentioned.

[name_m]Ames[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Ames[/name_m] [name_m]Ronan[/name_m]
[name_m]Ames[/name_m] [name_u]Kieran[/name_u]
[name_m]Ames[/name_m] [name_u]Owen[/name_u]
[name_m]Ames[/name_m] [name_u]Callum[/name_u]
[name_m]Ames[/name_m] [name_m]Ian[/name_m]
[name_m]Ames[/name_m] [name_u]Henry[/name_u]

Is it pron. “aims” or “aim-ess”? I can’t figure it out.

[name_m]Ames[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] is stunning! And I know DH likes [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. I think the cadence of the full dame is perfect.

Thank you!

2 Likes

I pronounce it “aims”. It’s similar to [name_u]Amos[/name_u] which I pronounce more like “Aim-ess”.

2 Likes

I read a book with an [name_m]Ames[/name_m] in it! It’s a warm and friendly sounding name

[name_u]Amos[/name_u] [name_u]Jasper[/name_u]
[name_u]Amos[/name_u] [name_u]Reed[/name_u]
[name_u]Amos[/name_u] [name_u]Bennett[/name_u]
[name_u]Amos[/name_u] [name_u]Luca[/name_u]
[name_u]Amos[/name_u] [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_u]Amos[/name_u] [name_u]Leo[/name_u]

I love [name_m]Ames[/name_m]! Such a nice sounding name with a good meaning as well. It’s in a name book that I own and there’s some combos for it too :slightly_smiling_face:

There’s a city in Iowa named [name_m]Ames[/name_m] and this is what I think of. No idea why since I don’t even live close to Iowa! It’s an ok name. For some reason it feels feminine to me, maybe because of [name_f]Amy[/name_f]? I’ve never known an [name_m]Ames[/name_m] so I’m sure if I met a boy with that name it wouldn’t seem feminine at that point. The only issue I see with wearability is I’m betting that people would have a hard time catching on when introduced since it’s unfamiliar and one syllable. There would probably be a lot of "how do you spell that?"or maybe “is is short for something?” Anyway I think it’s nice and wearable despite this since people will catch on.