An exhausted, listless list

We’re having another boy! In my heart I was looking forward to naming another little girl, but it became abundantly clear at my ultrasound that my little [name]Mollie[/name] is not going to have a little sister this time. I even kept asking the technician if she wasn’t sure, but she proceeded to point out from multiple angles that she was 100% sure that we were having a boy.

This presents a problem in the naming area. It was quite an ordeal to agree upon a name for our last son (which suits him beautifully) and our list is even more exhausted and picked over this time around.

I’d love some of your brilliant help brainstorming or helping me to come around to some of the names on our list.

Names I like:

[name]Patrick[/name] - I’ve watched too much Mentalist which I am sure is why I think this name is so attractive. Unfortunately, my husband has seen too much Spongebob, so he is a very firm no!

[name]Oscar[/name] - Our last name starts with the “Oh” sound and I have always been attracted to “O” names for alliteration purposes, but this name has lost its luster having been rejected by our last 2 sons. Maybe we are ready this time around, but I just don’t know. I also like that it ends in the r sound.

[name]Linus[/name]- This is my #1 this time around and it makes me smile. I can easily imagine a baby [name]Linus[/name] fitting into our family. It sounds silly with our last name, and my husband has rejected it because it is too “whiney.”

[name]Clark[/name] - An important family surname. It has been passed over by myself and several siblings of mine just because we each found something we found better. My husband’s fn is [name]Kent[/name] and everyone wanted us to name our first son [name]Clark[/name] [name]Kent[/name] ___. I am considering it more seriously this time around (not the kent part), but it feels second rate.

[name]Ezra[/name] - Another important family name. We both like this name, but not particularly and it doesn’t honor anyone that we knew personally (just a prominent line of Ezras in the family tree). Also, having a [name]Gideon[/name] and an [name]Ezra[/name] seems like a lot of Bible for us.

[name]Vince[/name]- A variation of my late father’s name. I wasn’t particularly close to him, but he died before I grew into adulthood and I do honor many of the things that he did. I do like the name [name]Vince[/name] and would feel a sort of reconciliation for the way we parted. My husband likes the long form, but it is very strange and my dad always went by [name]Vince[/name]. [name]Vincent[/name] is too labored for me to say. I don’t care for it.

[name]Hugh[/name] - Simple, refreshing. It doesn’t sound particularly nice with our last name and when ever I mention it my husband responds “Who?”.

[name]Enoch[/name] - Runner up for [name]Gideon[/name]. I still love this name and part of me plans on having an [name]Enoch[/name] some day. I am bothered by the fact that it doesn’t sound good to call out “[name]Gideon[/name] 'n [name]Enoch[/name], time for school.” Otherwise, I love this name. I’m not even bothered by the “too much bible” in it.

There are others, but this should give you an idea of our style. Thanks in advance, you are all wonderful.

I love [name]Ezra[/name].
I think [name]Vince[/name] is cute.

Maybe [name]Silas[/name]?

[name]Linus[/name] fits, and I also like [name]Hugh[/name] or [name]Clark[/name].

I really like [name]Ezra[/name]. Maybe [name]Evander[/name], [name]August[/name], [name]Cyrus[/name], [name]Fitz[/name], [name]Dashiell[/name], [name]Porter[/name], [name]Sayer[/name], [name]Myles[/name], Avan or [name]Edison[/name].

I would stay away from anything too distinctly Bible as [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Mollie[/name] don’t feel that way at all. I think [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Linus[/name], [name]Clark[/name], [name]Vince[/name] (better [name]Vincent[/name] nn [name]Vince[/name]) all could work. I was going to suggest [name]Samuel[/name] nn [name]Sam[/name], but I really like the idea of [name]Silas[/name] so that [name]Gideon[/name] wouldn’t stick out. Otherwise my vote would go to [name]Clark[/name]. I think that’s the best fit.

Thanks for the input!

@mamabear87 - I do like [name]Silas[/name] but it doesn’t work any better than [name]Linus[/name] with our last name which sounds like “Oh tiss” and is very friendly with [name]Milo[/name] :slight_smile:

@tfzolghadr - I know [name]Vince[/name] is a nickname, but not in a way that I would hesitate to put it on a resume or campaign ad. Does anyone know any long forms of [name]Vince[/name] other than [name]Vincent[/name]?

@bayles- Thanks for the list, this is exactly what I was hoping for.

[name]Evander[/name] - a possibility especially since I could conceivably derive [name]Vince[/name] as a nn.
[name]August[/name] - won’t work because I had a beloved dog with the name who went by “gus”.
[name]Cyrus[/name]- just won’t work with my ln.
[name]Fitz[/name]-I am accepting of this name, but my husband thought I was joking when I brought it up.
[name]Dashiell[/name]- Such a cute name, but just not us.
[name]Porter[/name]- taken by an adorable nephew.
[name]Sayer[/name]- I prefer it to [name]Sawyer[/name], but my husband doesn’t like either.
[name]Myles[/name]- My inlaws’ surname
Avan - how is this pronounced?
[name]Edison[/name]- I know its not the same name, but I have an uncle [name]Ed[/name] that is far from honorable.

Thank you so much!

I like [name]Clark[/name] and [name]Ezra[/name] the best

I like pretty much everything on your list, but [name]Oscar[/name] is probably my favorite. Some more names to ponder…

[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Leland[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Nolan[/name]
[name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Grover[/name]
[name]Pascal[/name]
[name]Willem[/name]
[name]Fletcher[/name]
[name]Odin[/name]
[name]Sterling[/name]

I like [name]Vincenzo[/name], but I prefer the nn [name]Enzo[/name] to [name]Vince[/name]. Actually, I think [name]Enzo[/name] would work for your sibset. I really love [name]Ezra[/name], [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]Linus[/name]. [name]How[/name] do you feel about [name]Otto[/name] or [name]Orrin[/name]?
I like the suggestion of [name]Grover[/name] for you. Or [name]Clyde[/name]?

Oh, I feel your pain at having a 2-syllable ‘uhs’ ending surname - we’ve struck many off our list because of the hissy, rhymey problem! If you love [name]Linus[/name], I honestly think it would be OK in the MN spot…

[name]Love[/name] [name]Enoch[/name], but would personally steer clear of [name]Clark[/name], if your hubby’s name is [name]Kent[/name]…

Jumping off the names on your list:

[name]Henry[/name], [name]Mollie[/name], [name]Gideon[/name] and…

[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Oswald[/name]
[name]Oren[/name]/[name]Orrin[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Lloyd[/name]
[name]Wesley[/name] (love this one!) - [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Vince[/name], [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Ezra[/name], [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Linus[/name] or even [name]Wesley[/name] [name]Patrick[/name] are all very handsome
[name]Barnaby[/name]
[name]Clive[/name]
[name]Boyd[/name]

Also like pp suggestions of [name]Grover[/name], [name]Jasper[/name] and [name]Clyde[/name]

Good luck :slight_smile:

[name]Henry[/name], [name]Mollie[/name], [name]Gideon[/name] and:

[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Heath[/name]
[name]Asa[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Abram[/name]
[name]Eben[/name]

@emsky - I like [name]Samuel[/name] but its been taken by a nephew and I am sort of looking for something a bit fresher sounding anyways. I really like [name]Silas[/name] but it really does sound too “hissy” with my last name (thanks katie, thats a perfect description!).

caty_beth89 - I am liking [name]Oscar[/name] more and more. I turned my back on it because it is quite a common dog name, but honestly so is [name]Mollie[/name]'s name and so is our last name. It hasn’t really been a problem and my daughter/kids always really love it when they meet an animal that shares their name. I do really like the alliteration with our ln, two O’s just sounds so open and friendly to me. From your list I was surprised to find out that my husband liked [name]Leland[/name] and [name]Nolan[/name]. Something for me to think about there. Thanks for the input.

@roseymaam - Nothing ending in “O” will work with our ln and [name]Orrin[/name] is too “[name]Orrin[/name] Hatch” around here and I don’t want the unpopular association. I love [name]Grover[/name] but I can’t budge my husband on it. My husband likes [name]Clyde[/name] and I think it would work well for us, I’ll have to think on it. Thank you so much!

@etkatie - thanks for the sympathy.

[name]Oliver[/name]- I have a Nephew [name]Oliver[/name] and a Niece [name]Olivia[/name] so that name is all used up for us, We both like it though.
[name]Oswald[/name] - still too [name]Lee[/name] [name]Harvey[/name] for us, Im afraid.0
[name]Orrin[/name] - see response to rosemaam
[name]Lionel[/name] - I like this but its “too soft” for my husband
[name]Lachlan[/name] - my husband says he doesn’t have to have a reason to veto a name so I don’t have one here.
[name]Lloyd[/name]- Creates a tounge twister with our last name
[name]Wesley[/name] - taken by a nephew ( my husband and I have huge families)
[name]Barnaby[/name] - I don’t care for it
[name]Clive[/name] - doesn’ quite strike my own fancy but my husband likes it.
[name]Boyd[/name] - see lloyd

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I love hearing my husband say he likes a name that I would never have suggested on my own. I feel like he is really opening his horizons!

@[name]Danni[/name] - Thanks for the list!

[name]Oliver[/name]- see previous response.
[name]Heath[/name] - DH likes [name]Keith[/name] better and we agreed not to use either
[name]Asa[/name]- this is not a real name to my husband and just not my style either
[name]Everett[/name]- not for us
[name]Sawyer[/name]- I loved this name for [name]Gideon[/name] and tried for months to talk my husband into it but he ended up talking me out of it. It sounds like “sew your oats” with our ln.
[name]Benjamin[/name]- love, but it is the name of a close cousin.
[name]Abram[/name]- Thank you, thank you, thank you. We both really love this name and I never would have considered asking my husband about it. We’ll have to lull it over for awhile.
[name]Eben[/name]- [name]Ebeneezer[/name] is a gp of mine but eben just sounds like evan with a suffy nose to me.

Thank you so much to everyone who has responded, you have been so helpful!

Eudo, [name]Humphrey[/name], [name]Ephraim[/name], [name]Peyton[/name], [name]Oliver[/name], [name]Ezekiel[/name], [name]Samuel[/name]

Shadrach, [name]Solomon[/name], [name]Melchior[/name]

I love [name]Oscar[/name]. [name]How[/name] about [name]Oliver[/name]?

[name]Clark[/name] is my hands down favorite, but I’m also partial to [name]Hugh[/name].

[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Jude[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]

(?)