An I Name that isn't Ivy

Isobel, far and away! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I think [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] are great alternatives to [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]—they feel like a great stylistic match. Other great I names:

Ilana
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_f]Iva[/name_f]
[name_f]Iona[/name_f]/Ione
[name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Isaline[/name_f]
[name_f]Ines[/name_f]
[name_f]Imelda[/name_f] (I know one who is so lovely, and [name_f]Millie[/name_f] and [name_f]Immy[/name_f] would be so cute)
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_u]Indie[/name_u]
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Irena[/name_f]
[name_f]Ingeborg[/name_f]
[name_f]Ireland[/name_f]
[name_f]Iola[/name_f]
[name_f]Ianthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Irene[/name_f]
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
[name_f]Iskra[/name_f]
[name_f]Ismay[/name_f]
Itxaro (unrealistic but man is she lovely!)

I’m sure I’m missing some, but that’s about all I’ve got today. :joy:. [name_f]May[/name_f] have gone overboard? It seems unlikely that a lover of [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] would love [name_f]Ingeborg[/name_f] or Itxaro or [name_f]Irene[/name_f] or [name_f]Iskra[/name_f]. :smirk::smirk:. But I couldn’t help myself…

I like [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]Isobel[/name_f], [name_f]Ilaria[/name_f], [name_u]Isha[/name_u], [name_f]India[/name_f], [name_u]Iman[/name_u].

Irina,
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Ileana[/name_f],
[name_f]Ingrid[/name_f]
[name_f]Ione[/name_f]
[name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
[name_f]Ilana[/name_f],
[name_f]Ilona[/name_f]
[name_f]Isela[/name_f],
[name_f]Inez[/name_f],
[name_f]Isabeau[/name_f]
[name_f]Ilsa[/name_f], ([name_f]Ilsa[/name_f] is a different name to [name_f]Isla[/name_f]).
[name_f]Irit[/name_f].

Ilse, [name_f]Ina[/name_f], Inti, [name_f]Irena[/name_f], Irmhild, Iuno

Don’t think [name_f]Isme[/name_f] has been mentioned yet!

Ileen
[name_f]Ivanka[/name_f]
Islington
[name_u]Ivory[/name_u]
Iffie
[name_f]Isis[/name_f]
[name_f]Inez[/name_f]

Ida reminds me of [name_f]Iva[/name_f]!

1 Like

Not sure if someone has said it, but I love [name_f]Io[/name_f]!

Irene
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u]
[name_f]Ivee[/name_f]

:thinking:

Iris
[name_m]Irvine[/name_m]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Evie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]

Something botanical and Victorian would be cute here.

Wildcard suggestion - how about [name_f]Riva[/name_f]? It means maiden and is of Hebrew origin and is a lovely anagram of [name_m]Irv[/name_m]

If not then [name_f]Iona[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Io[/name_f]) is what we have and it’s such a great name for a girl - our daughter suits it so much and everyone loves [name_f]Io[/name_f] as a nickname. Added bonus is that the island of [name_f]Iona[/name_f] is said to be a “thin place” - a place where the veil between heaven and earth is at its most thin, which is another nice link to a beloved grandfather in heaven.

Good luck naming your daughter!

4 Likes

If you’re willing to look beyond I names, I always feel that Sylvie is a perfect lesser-used alternative to [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]. Still botanical (albeit subtly), still sweet and chic and stylish, but far less popular — for now at least! And it also shares that prominent V sound with [name_m]Irv[/name_m].

Clover is another idea: botanical, with that “VER” sound to mirror [name_m]Irv[/name_m], and with a quirky, tailored style.

I’d also like to suggest River as a wildcard choice. It’s a bit more androgynous than many of your favourites, but so is [name_u]Quinn[/name_u]. And your other choices are feminine, but not at all frilly. [name_u]River[/name_u]’s first three letters are I R V, plus the meaning fits with [name_m]Irv[/name_m]’s: “green river, green water”.

Good luck and let us know what you pick! :four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

Try to put yourself on your husband’s side of the discussion. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband loves the name [name_u]Toby[/name_u] for our baby that’s due in a few weeks. And I just can’t. I’ve tried to like it. I want to like, but it’s not going to happen. Any time he vetoes one of my suggestions and I get bummed out, I think of [name_u]Toby[/name_u] and move on.

With that advice in mind, my suggestions would be
[name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_f]Reva[/name_f]

1 Like

I just wanted to say that I love the suggestion [name_f]Iva[/name_f]. I actually know one, and it works well!

1 Like

Im sure everyone will reply with [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Isla[/name_f], and [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] / [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] / [name_f]Isobel[/name_f]…

– But I much prefer [name_f]Irina[/name_f].

There are also: [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], [name_f]Imogene[/name_f], [name_u]Indiana[/name_u], [name_f]India[/name_f], and [name_u]Indigo[/name_u].

– I like [name_f]Inara[/name_f].

1 Like

As someone with an “I” name and nickname …

My name is [name_f]Indira[/name_f] and I go by [name_f]Indi[/name_f] and I haven’t met any person with my original name OR anyone who goes by [name_f]Indi[/name_f].

(I’ve met people who named dogs [name_u]Indy[/name_u] - which is how most people seem to spell my nickname, so those are two potential issues I’ve found.)

Wow! So I seriously came here to share a different spelling of [name_f]Indi[/name_f]/Indie after reading the article but I just looked up the meaning of [name_m]Irv[/name_m] - “handsome, fair of face”. [name_f]Indira[/name_f] means “beauty” according to this site, but my parents had found that the meaning meant “beautiful face” when they named me. So there’s a connection there. Not sure if I would recommend it - people do misspell with Es all the time, but it is unique and I’ve felt that I get to define it myself. Did I want a name that was on keychains as a kid (an maybe occasionally now)? Yes. But also … no repeats like all my friends named [name_u]Abby[/name_u] or [name_f]Katie[/name_f] or [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] or [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] etc…

I looked up other I names that mean “beauty” to go with the “fair of face” explanation, and [name_f]Ingrid[/name_f] (from the article) means “fair” and [name_f]Iola[/name_f] means “beautiful lady”. Those may be good connections.

Ivria (“from the land of [name_m]Abraham[/name_m]”) is a Hebrew name with the name letters in it. It might work. It sounds a bit exotic and regal to me. Sort of like an [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] queen. :smiley:

OR could [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] be a hyphenated name? [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]-[name_u]Quinn[/name_u] (love this!) or [name_f]Sara[/name_f]-[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] from your list might work. Of course the “classic combo” names of [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]-[name_f]Grace[/name_f] or [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]-[name_u]Anne[/name_u] or [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]-[name_f]Mae[/name_f] might work too. Could you do any [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]+husband’s favourite?

All the best in choosing a lovely name! I know you will find a wonderful name and connection. The love for your grandfather will be able to mingle with your love for your daughter - that is such a beautiful start to life!

2 Likes

My immediate thought was [name_f]Iris[/name_f]!

You’ve had a few suggestions so count any repeats as me being in agreement with the rest of the berries

Iona
[name_f]Iola[/name_f]
[name_f]Ianthe[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_f]Isobel[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabeau[/name_f]
[name_f]Isolde[/name_f]
[name_f]Ida[/name_f]
[name_u]Indigo[/name_u]

ISOBEL - yes! I feel like that’s just the most gorgeous spelling of a lovely name.

That’s really good advice!

Io as a nickname for [name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f] might be my new favorite thing. Swooning!

1 Like