An Unpopular Name Clique

Sharon, [name_f]Karen[/name_f], [name_f]Cheryl[/name_f], [name_f]Sheryl[/name_f], [name_f]Janet[/name_f], [name_f]Janice[/name_f]…

These are names I never see on nameberry, one way or another.

I grew up with these names and cannot say I like them much.

Partly because the -ron and -ren and jan- sounds don’t appeal to me much in female names.

Any thoughts on these? Are there any you like? Others that belong in this grouping?

I associate these names with baby boomers and given their history it’s not very pleasant ex: [name_f]Karen[/name_f]

I do see how they might appear as honors but they have not all died out, [name_f]Julia[/name_f] is still popular and they sprung up during the same generation, I also see [name_f]Amy[/name_f]/Aimee also, and know a girl name [name_f]Karen[/name_f] my age!

3 Likes

Yeah, I can’t say I get the whole [name_f]Karen[/name_f] thing. It must be terrible these days to be named that.

Do [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Boomers have a bad history? I don’t think so.

Cheryl reminds me of [name_f]Cheryl[/name_f] [name_f]Blossom[/name_f] of Riverdale so I quite like that. The others not so much.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Janet[/name_f] has appeal (though I much prefer [name_f]Judith[/name_f], [name_f]Judy[/name_f], and [name_f]Jane[/name_f]).

But the others are all just too strongly associated with the older generation and not in a charming way (I like other names from this generation like [name_m]Stuart[/name_m], [name_f]Sally[/name_f], [name_f]Dolly[/name_f], [name_f]Nadine[/name_f], etc. wayyyyyy better).

1 Like

Seriously what did the boomers do?? Lol. I’m appreciative of them since they raised me!

I actually sort of like [name_f]Karen[/name_f] except for the meme.

1 Like

Definitely echo @princesspanda comments about the names being associated with the baby boomer generation.

Janet is OK. It feels a bit buttoned-up and straitlaced. I do love [name_f]Jeannette[/name_f] though.

So is there a perception that [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Boomers and their names are bad? I can see names being considered dated, but I think there’s something I’m missing.

These are just names that rose during these generation and because of this more recent generations stray away from given how baby boomers tended to mess up their American system, and for a brown women like me, a lot of them (not all of course) can often be a bit close minded!

2 Likes

Yes, they do come from the Boom era, but is there a perception among today’s youth that that generation is bad or merely that the names are dated? I am curious.

I am a late 80s child. I certainly do not have anything negative to say about baby boomers. I think perhaps baby boomers may have something negative to say about us and millennials however :rofl:

4 Likes

They all sound pretty old to me, like they could be my aunt or grandma. I don’t really see them on a little kid yet. The only one I kind of like is [name_f]Cheryl[/name_f] because of a nice association. I think these names might become popular again in time, but it’s not their time yet.

What?

Thanks for the response. I think every generation can mess up the system. It’s interesting b/c the Boomers I know (I was born at the tail end of it) are open-minded, compassionate folks and I know close-minded people in every generation.

1 Like

Oh, occasionally. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Haha same here

1 Like

I worded that wrong so sorry :sob: I meant it as a opinion rather than a statement! Personally don’t know enough to argue and I’m not even American just living in it ! [name_f]Hope[/name_f] I didn’t offended I’m just addressing a common assumption on why people stray away from it!

2 Likes

No offense taken, I just have no idea what you meant by that. For your other point, I totally get that the grandma names of today are not popular baby names now.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::heart_eyes:
[name_u]Honest[/name_u], I think there is a lot to learn from each generation.
Yes I associate those names with the baby boomer generation, is that bad? No. [name_f]Do[/name_f] they seem a little dated? Yes. In the same way all the names we like, will seem dated to our children’s children perhaps.

5 Likes

The only one I really like is [name_f]Sharon[/name_f], as I know I really nice lady with that name, but I don’t think I would ever name my child. I also don’t think naming your child [name_f]Karen[/name_f] is a good idea anymore. As for the other names, I don’t have a strong opinion on them but they do sound dated and I wouldn’t use them for my child. [name_f]Janet[/name_f] reminds me of The [name_u]Magic[/name_u] School Bus (that last part was really random sorry)