Anais or Anastasia

See the results of this poll: Anastasia or Anais?

Respondents: 36 (This poll is closed)

• Anastasia : 24 (67%)
  • Anais: 12 (33%)

I love both! But [name]Anais[/name] easily wins it for me. I wrote a story with an [name]Anais[/name] in it this year, and I love the character, so that holds an added love to the name. Besides, even though both are fairly uncommon, [name]Anais[/name] is more novel and sweet, imo, than [name]Anastasia[/name] is. If you want more nn options, though, [name]Anastasia[/name] would probably be the way to go. :slight_smile:

I love [name]Anastasia[/name] but not [name]Anais[/name]. [name]Anastasia[/name] is very regal and princess like which I love. It would be very pretty on a little girl but also on an older woman. [name]Anais[/name] seems too short and I don’t really like the sound of it. Plus you will probably get some pronunciation issues with [name]Anais[/name]. You should definitely keep [name]Anastasia[/name]!

I love both but I like [name]Anais[/name] more. However, I still voted for [name]Anastasia[/name], which I think is more user-friendly. When I mention [name]Anais[/name] to anyone, they all say it resembles “Anus,” which I didn’t get at first but seems to be a pretty common reaction. It’s a shame because [name]Anais[/name] is so wonderful but I think [name]Anastasia[/name] is the wiser choice.

Thanks everyone. I have worried about the pronunciation issues of [name]Anais[/name]. I love the princess connection to [name]Anastasia[/name] and I know that a little girl would too. I love the exotic feel of [name]Anais[/name] though too. I think I will keep [name]Anastasia[/name] and maybe keep [name]Anais[/name] for an MN :slight_smile: [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Anais[/name] is sounding really good right now :slight_smile:

i really like anais and i don’t like anastasia very much. i just don’t like the longer, princessy russian names so it’s just my personal taste and i do think that anastasia is better than a lot of them.

i kind of gasped when i read the comment about how people see the name anais and think of the word anus! now i’m afraid i won’t be able to unsee that and i will think of it when i see the name!! i had never thought of it before though! also i guess you would have more pronunciation problems with anais, but there is more than one way to say anastasia too.

when i see/hear anais i think of the writer anais nin so i think pretty/french/sensual.

My feelings exactly. If you love [name]Anais[/name], I think it would make a wonderful middle name!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Anais[/name] but more so in the form of Athénaïs :slight_smile: I also like [name]Anastasia[/name] and grew up with one so I think it wears well.

I voted [name]Anastasia[/name] even though I like both. [name]Anais[/name] may be hard to wear in high school when her peers find out who [name]Anais[/name] [name]Nin[/name] is. If it were a more common name it wouldn’t be an issue or if you live somewhere backwoods where kids won’t ever be exposed to non pop literature it would be okay.

[name]Anais[/name] is my pick. I read a book with an [name]Anais[/name] as the main character a few years back, I can’t remember the name of it, unfortunately. But the book was so great that I have loved the name ever since!

If you’re pronouncing [name]Anais[/name] as “uh-NAY-iss”, then I don’t care for it (plus, this spelling just looks like “uh-nice” to me). I really like [name]Ana[/name]ïs “a-na-EES”, though.
In order of preference: [name]Ana[/name]ïs, [name]Anastasia[/name], [name]Anais[/name].

I say [name]Ah[/name]-Nah-EES :slight_smile:

[name]Anastasia[/name] was a Russian princess just before World War I that was abducted by a group of people trying to overthrow her father
(Czar of [name]Russia[/name] at the time). This is one of the main reasons [name]Russia[/name] entered the war because of the killing of the Czars children. The children were never found and that’s why a common story in [name]Russia[/name] is '[name]Anastasia[/name]‘s [name]Story[/name]’. All throughout Eastern Europe they know this story. It gives the name a really off putting erie sound to me.

[name]Wanna[/name] know more just look up [name]Anastasia[/name]'s story.

[name]Anastasia[/name]. Not only is it a favorite Greek name with a really cool meaning, I can’t get over the spelling of [name]Anais[/name]. It just puts me in mind of a medical term or something. It’s just so unattractive on paper I’d never, ever use it.

I would choose [name]Anastasia[/name], it’s more regal and there are many nicknames which could work with it.

[name]Anastasia[/name] is too frilly, girly for me, disney princessy, but [name]Anais[/name] is quirky, intelligent, sophisticated and more suitable for a woman. And you can use [name]Annie[/name] or [name]Ana[/name] for nicknames if you want something more girly.

[name]Anastasia[/name] Romanov the Russian princess wasn’t abducted, she was killed with her entire family. They proved the [name]Anastasia[/name] that later popped up was a fake.

Sorry, the story is very interesting, but very sad.

[name]Anastasia[/name] is my pick! A beautiful, classical name that will wear well into adulthood.