Ancient Greek/Roman Mythology Names

Here are names from the ancient Greek and [name]Roman[/name] mythology that I like!

I was just wondering what your opinion was on each one?? :slight_smile:

Girls:

[name]Hebe[/name]- the name of the Greek [name]Goddess[/name] of Youth- It’s pronounced Hee-bee b[/b]
[name]Artemis[/name]- the name of the Greek [name]Goddess[/name] of the [name]Hunt[/name] and Childbirth b[/b]
[name]Venus[/name]- the name of the [name]Roman[/name] [name]Goddess[/name] of [name]Love[/name] and Beauty
[name]Diana[/name]- the name of the [name]Roman[/name] [name]Goddess[/name] of the [name]Hunt[/name] and Childbirth
[name]Aurora[/name]- the name of the [name]Roman[/name] [name]Goddess[/name] of the [name]Dawn[/name]
[name]Echo[/name]- the name of the Nymph who was cursed to repeat others’ words b[/b]
[name]Daphne[/name]- the name of the Nymph that turned herself into a laurel tree to escape [name]Apollo[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]- the name of the [name]Roman[/name] [name]Goddess[/name] of Flowers b[/b]

Boys:

[name]Eros[/name]- the name of the Greek God of [name]Love[/name] (Greek equivalent of [name]Cupid[/name]) b[/b]
[name]Adonis[/name]- the name of the Greek mortal who was loved by [name]Aphrodite[/name] and [name]Persephone[/name]
[name]Jason[/name]- the name of the Greek demi-god son of [name]Zeus[/name]

PS: What ancient Greek or [name]Roman[/name] mythology name is your favorite??

Generally, I really like these types of names-- so here’s my take on the ones in your list:

Girls:

[name]Hebe[/name]- I don’t really like this one because it reminds my of heebie-jeebies (like hocus pocus)-- similar-sounding names that I like better are [name]Thisbe[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Artemis[/name]- I like this one mostly because I have a friend with the name-- her nn is [name]Artie[/name].
[name]Venus[/name]- I think this one is a little hard to saddle a kid with just because it has a really sexy sort of image.
[name]Diana[/name], [name]Aurora[/name], [name]Echo[/name], [name]Daphne[/name], and [name]Flora[/name] - all good names that I would use without hesitation

Sort of like [name]Venus[/name] above, I think [name]Eros[/name] and [name]Adonis[/name] have such sexy vibes that it would be hard to saddle a kid with that.
[name]Jason[/name]- totally usable!

Here are some more names in this category that I like:

Girls:
[name]Andromeda[/name]
[name]Ariadne[/name]
[name]Athena[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name]
[name]Cassandra[/name]
[name]Cassiopeia[/name]
[name]Demetria[/name]
[name]Eurydice[/name]
[name]Helen[/name]
[name]Hermione[/name]
[name]Hypatia[/name]
[name]Juno[/name]
[name]Luna[/name]
[name]Maia[/name]
[name]Minerva[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Persephone[/name]
[name]Phaidra[/name]
[name]Rhea[/name]
[name]Selene[/name]
[name]Thalia[/name]
Themis

Boys:
[name]Aeneas[/name]
[name]Evander[/name]
[name]Gemini[/name]
[name]Helios[/name]
[name]Hermes[/name]
[name]Janus[/name]
[name]Leander[/name]
[name]Odysseus[/name]
[name]Remus[/name]
[name]Ulysses[/name]

[name]Hebe[/name]- reminds me too much of heebie jeebies
[name]Artemis[/name]- Its nms, but I like it on someone else, [name]Artie[/name] would be a cute nn
[name]Venus[/name]-Again, nms, but I would really like it on someone else
[name]Diana[/name]- I find this name so harsh and unappealing, it just sounds like someone saying “die [name]Anna[/name]!”
[name]Aurora[/name]- [name]One[/name] of my favorites, love it! My only quelms is the possible nn of [name]Rory[/name], which I hate.
[name]Echo[/name]- I love this one!
[name]Daphne[/name]- very sweet!
[name]Flora[/name]- very sweet and gentle, love it!

Boys:

[name]Eros[/name]- this is kinda cool
[name]Adonis[/name]- this is also a cool one
[name]Jason[/name]- meh, its so overused and kind of dated to me. I know its a mythological name but it has been used so often that I don’t think of the myths but a boring neighborhood boy

[name]Hebe[/name]- I want to love this, but the sound irks me.
[name]Artemis[/name]- I don’t personally like it, but I have nothing against it. Not too outrageous.
[name]Venus[/name]- I think this one is overdoing it.
[name]Diana[/name]- I think it’s a bit outdated, but there’s nothing wrong with the name itself.
[name]Aurora[/name]- Not my style, but a nice name.
[name]Echo[/name]- I love this one!
[name]Daphne[/name]- Reminds me of Scooby Doo, but a lovely name.
[name]Flora[/name]- “very sweet and gentle, love it!” <— Exactly.

Eros- Much too heavy I think.
Adonis- I know a boy named this. Very stylish and usable.
Jason- Overused perhaps, but a good solid name.

hey now, I am a [name]Diana[/name] and I like my name. It’s unique and pretty. It means [name]Divine[/name]. I have only ever had one person, who was a friend, point out the DIE-ana thing, but it wasn’t in a mean way. I don’t think anyone will tease the kid. I was never teased and most thought I had a pretty name. Plus it wasn’t extremely common like [name]Sarah[/name], I had 4 friends with that name in high school, and I knew 5 [name]Emily[/name]'s. I was the only [name]Diana[/name], which was nice.

I think a lot of roman and greek names don’t work because they sound odd and aren’t considered “normal” like [name]Artemis[/name] and [name]Demetria[/name]. Those are the kids that will get picked on.

I would go with more common names like [name]Diana[/name], [name]Flora[/name], maybe [name]Venus[/name] (I’m iffy on that one since it’s a planet), and [name]Aurora[/name]. I might go with [name]Phoebe[/name] instead of [name]Hebe[/name], just because hebe reminds me of the “hebe jeebes” and I can totally see kids teasing her.

Girls:

[name]Hebe[/name]- dislike
[name]Artemis[/name]- GP for either gender
[name]Venus[/name]- ok, nms
[name]Diana[/name]- love it, but unfortunately unable to use since it’s strongly connected to the goddess.
[name]Aurora[/name]- never liked
[name]Echo[/name]- love it but on a boy
[name]Daphne[/name]- never liekd it I knew a girl named that she wasn’t too bright
[name]Flora[/name]- pretty but pefer [name]Florence[/name] or [name]Fleur[/name]

Boys:

[name]Eros[/name]- never liked this [name]Eros[/name] is the god of love but reminds me of lust more then love. I always wondered why anyone would use that image for a kid.
[name]Adonis[/name]- it’s a GP of mine, only as a middle name
[name]Jason[/name]- never liked this

I trynto to go for god/goddess names unless they have another meanings then it makes it usable [[name]Iris[/name] [flower], [name]Echo[/name] [an actual echo], [name]Mercury[/name] [the planet/element] are the only ones I’d use but for the reasons I put.

[name]Hebe[/name]- Ditto everyone else with the “heebie-jeebies”, plus I think it may be pronounced wrong by people unfamiliar with the reference.
[name]Artemis[/name]- Totally usable
[name]Venus[/name]- Might be a little over-the-top, which is really saying something coming from me. Awesome mn tho.
[name]Diana[/name]- I find this a little boring, tbh.
[name]Aurora[/name]- This is my mom’s name and I’ve always LOVED it.
[name]Echo[/name]- [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LOVE[/name]. By far my favorite on this list.
[name]Daphne[/name]- Totally usable. It’s uncommon but not so much that people would think it’s weird.
[name]Flora[/name]- Really like.

Boys:

[name]Eros[/name]- I like it.
[name]Adonis[/name]- I don’t know how usable this really is, sorry.
[name]Jason[/name]- Obviously super usable but I find it a bit dated/ boring.

I love mythology names. Some of my faves:
[name]Hero[/name]
[name]Juno[/name]
[name]Io[/name] (or [name]Imogen[/name] nn [name]Io[/name])
[name]Nike[/name] (I know it’s pretty much unusable but I love it soooo much)
[name]Minerva[/name]
[name]Persephone[/name]
[name]Halcyone[/name]

[name]Atlas[/name] (my #1 boy name)

My favorites are [name]Phaedra[/name] and [name]Livia[/name].

Actually, [name]Diana[/name] is more connected with [name]Princess[/name] [name]Diana[/name], not the goddess. I have been called “[name]Princess[/name] [name]Diana[/name]” god knows how many times. My mom originally wanted to name me [name]Diamond[/name], thank god by dad vetoed that and suggested [name]Diana[/name] after the princess.

I only ever had the goddess thing brought up once and that was in Middle School when we were learning about mythology. [name]Just[/name] a side note…

[name]Hebe[/name]-I think Hee-bee as a sound is pretty juvenile. Though I love it, it might be hard to take your boss seriously when her nam is [name]Hebe[/name]. I also think it’s pretty masculine sounding.
[name]Artemis[/name]- I think this is cute, and [name]Artie[/name] is a cute nn. I’d consider this masculine sounding too, but I can see a girl with it especially because of meaning.
[name]Venus[/name]- I can’t see this on a person, there ae too many objects called this from planets to razors.
[name]Diana[/name]- A little dated and ununique in comparison to your others.
[name]Aurora[/name]- Becoming a little popular, although I don’t think many are actually going through with it. I think it’s pretty, but for some reason I find the sound a little harsh.
[name]Echo[/name]- I love this, I wish more people would use it. Really pretty.
[name]Daphne[/name]- Eh. I can never figure out why I have such an aversion to this name.
[name]Flora[/name]- Meh. Nms, I prefer [name]Fleur[/name] or [name]Fauna[/name]

Boys:

[name]Eros[/name]- I can’t give you a real opinion of this name because, well, it’s mine! I am a girl, but I think it works very well on guys too and I’ve only ever met one other [name]Eros[/name] (who was a boy). I think the beginning is a little harsh and it sucks when you go through that point when everyone’s figuring out how awesome their names sound backwards and yours is Sore, but I do love my name. For the sexuality thing everyone keeps bringing up, no one really ever knows that they just think of it as love. The only time it becomes obvious is when you’re going through the teenage stage where sexual jokes are simply hilarious and you wear it around like a badge. heheh…
[name]Adonis[/name]- Isn’t there a shoe called this? I don’t think it sounds nice, anyways.
[name]Jason[/name]- [name]Jason[/name] has always been a GP of mine (my GPs run opposite of everyone else’s with the usable ones there are the crazy ones in my favourites haha) and I think it’s very usable. I had a camp conselor who was named [name]Jason[/name] and he was very warm and friendly which kind of made me like the name. A little plain in comparison to your other choices though.

My favourites? Well [name]Athene[/name] for sure. I also love [name]Echo[/name], [name]Juno[/name] (though I prefer [name]Juneau[/name]) & [name]Iris[/name]. For boys… I’m not sure. I’ve never been as much of a fan of the male ones. I will say I like the greek names much more than the roman ones though.

I really dislike all of your boy choices. [name]Adonis[/name] is so cliche. I love [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Diana[/name], and [name]Flora[/name].

[name]Hebe[/name]- Did you know “[name]Hebe[/name]” is an anti-semitic slur? Not pronounced the same way, but spelt the same way. [name]Phoebe[/name] doesn’t have that baggage. I’d drop this one.
[name]Artemis[/name]- Like. Also like [name]Artemisia[/name].
[name]Venus[/name]- Too much merchandise under this name, including razors and sex-aids.
[name]Diana[/name]- It’s ok, not my style but not bad.
[name]Aurora[/name]- [name]Love[/name]
[name]Echo[/name]- Dislike
[name]Daphne[/name]- It’s ok
[name]Flora[/name]- [name]Love[/name]

Boys:

[name]Eros[/name]- Yeah, no
[name]Adonis[/name]- It’s going to get him made fun of unless he’s unspeakably perfect looking in every way
[name]Jason[/name]- It’s ok

What ancient Greek or [name]Roman[/name] mythology name is your favorite??
My favourites are probably:

[name]Iris[/name] - [name]Rainbow[/name] messenger goddess
Hesper/Hesperia - [name]Goddess[/name] of the evening star.
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Minerva[/name] - goddess of poetry, medicine, wisdom, commerce, weaving, crafts, magic.
[name]Athena[/name] - same goddess as [name]Minerva[/name], really
[name]Selene[/name] - [name]Goddess[/name] of the moon
[name]Luna[/name] - [name]Roman[/name] incarnation of [name]Selene[/name].
[name]Eirene[/name]/[name]Irene[/name] - goddess of peace

And for the boys,
[name]Orion[/name]
[name]Achilles[/name]
[name]Demetrius[/name]
[name]Hector[/name]
[name]Damon[/name]
[name]Ulysses[/name]

[name]Hebe[/name] - Ehh, I wouldn’t use it.
[name]Artemis[/name] - I [name]LOVE[/name] this name, I hate that people seem to think it can be a boys name. [name]One[/name] issue I have with it, though, is thatthe goddess was well-known for being an eternal virgin. I can imagine that around high school, when kids read the Odyssey or iliad and study the gods, that would translate into a LOT of teasing. The same goes for [name]Athena[/name], another virgin goddess. I love the name (my father wanted to name me [name]Athena[/name]!) but that same issue gets to me.
[name]Venus[/name] - I think she’s too well known for her sexuality to use it on a child. Plus, it’s a planet. Bad idea. I like the name, it’s just not very usable.
[name]Diana[/name] - Same issue as [name]Artemis[/name], since they’re the same goddess. But [name]Diana[/name]'s common enough that people don’t really associate the name with the goddess. They seem to go more for [name]Princess[/name] [name]Diana[/name].
[name]Aurora[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this name, and it’s a goddess who’s unknown enough that the association shouldn’t cause problems.
[name]Echo[/name] - I can see this getting teased, not for the mythology, but for the word itself. No one want’s to be an echo, it’s like being a follower with no voice of your own. A sort of demeaning name to give a child, to me.
[name]Daphne[/name] - Again, common enough to not be associated with the nymph. I personally think of the character from Scooby Doo. It’s pretty, and definitely useable.
[name]Flora[/name] - Again, teasing will come from the modern word meaning. She’d be called a flower constantly. I think it’s pretty, but it actually seems outdated to me. I can see it on a grandmother…

[name]Eros[/name] - [name]Way[/name] too many sexual connotations (erotic, etc). Plus as soon as kids learn it’s the same god as [name]Cupid[/name], [name]Valentine[/name]'s [name]Day[/name] will forever be a big joke.
[name]Adonis[/name] - [name]Love[/name] the name, but again, I’d seriously worry about the sexuality of it.
[name]Jason[/name] - Definitely common enough to not pose a problem.

I don’t know the [name]Roman[/name] names as well as the greeks, but my favoritesinclude [name]Athena[/name] (as I mentioned, which I probably couldn’t use), [name]Apollo[/name] (again, probably wouldn’t actually use it, but I like it), [name]Persephone[/name] ([name]Goddess[/name] of the Underworld, though against her will. A sweet and caring character), [name]Demeter[/name] ([name]Goddess[/name] of the harvest), [name]Helen[/name] (of [name]Troy[/name]), [name]Penelope[/name] ([name]Odysseus[/name]’ wife), Acheron (a river flowing out of Hades, associated with woe and despair. The dead were channeled across it to reach the afterlife), [name]Selene[/name] (goddess of the moon), [name]Pallas[/name] (another name for [name]Athena[/name]), [name]Rhea[/name] (Titan, mother of [name]Zeus[/name], [name]Poseidon[/name], Hades, [name]Hera[/name], etc.), and [name]Remus[/name] (brother of [name]Romulus[/name], founder of [name]Rome[/name]. Also, [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]. <3).
Most of them I really don’t think are too useable, but…I’m willing to at least consider some of them. I’d love to be able to use names out of mythology.

Hmm your probably right, I also think it depends on wh oyou ask too It’s pretty common name not like [name]Artemis[/name] or [name]Aphrodite[/name] which is more obvious. :slight_smile: thanks [name]Diana[/name]. I love it for [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables [[name]Anne[/name]'s best friend is [name]Diana[/name]] and always wanted to put it on my list. I also think of Wonder Woman…