And his reaction was...

So, I put the very long list to hub and a few got positive reactions!!! Thanks heavens! I’ve also managed to get him to agree to cut down some of his other favourites to something you could actually consider naming a person…

So, from your wonderful suggestions, our list now looks like this:
[name]Araminta[/name]
[name]Valencia[/name]
[name]Evelia[/name] (eh-vay-lee-ah) - pn issues?
[name]Mariella[/name]
Amiria
Apollena
[name]Azalea[/name]
[name]Rosaria[/name]

Any thoughts/comments on the names? Other suggestions/ideas are always welcome too.

Thankyou all so much, [name]Jess[/name]

Great! What a coup! I think your list is very good, very doable.

[name]Araminta[/name]
[name]Valencia[/name]
[name]Evelia[/name] (eh-vay-lee-ah) - pn issues?
[name]Mariella[/name]
Amiria
Apollena
[name]Azalea[/name]
[name]Rosaria[/name]

My personal favorites: [name]Araminta[/name], [name]Valencia[/name], [name]Mariella[/name], [name]Rosaria[/name].

I question pronounciation, hesitate on [name]Evelia[/name], Amiria, Apollena. I’m not yet an [name]Azalea[/name] convert, but on the other hand there is nothing wrong with it and I think many are going to use and enjoy it. In fact, I don’t see anything on your list that is awful-I-would-never-go-there. Although I stumble over Amiria, I do like it once I put it together, and I think [name]Mira[/name] is a darling nn. [name]Evelia[/name] is the same. Once you get the flow, it is quite lovely and stands out as unusual in all the [name]Eva[/name], [name]Evangelina[/name] crowd. Apollena isn’t quite working for me. It is as though you set out to say apple, and then change your mind mid-word. Others may love exactly that. Apollena doesn’t quite feel finished – not usually a problem with the names your husband likes! They are usually finished – and then some!

What are you aiming for in middle names? [name]Do[/name] you want something upbeat and simple in your tastes, or something florid and girly in your husband’s? Either will work with these names.

[name]Araminta[/name] Miribelle or
[name]Araminta[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]

[name]Hi[/name], again!

Okay, so glad that your husband liked some of the names! I definitely think [name]Evelia[/name], Apollena, and Amiria would pose pronunciation and spelling problems for you and your daughter, so I’d hesitate to use them. I wasn’t even aware that Apollena and Amiria were names, to be completely frank with you! I’ve seen [name]Appolonia[/name], but never Apollena…

So, that leaves [name]Araminta[/name], [name]Valencia[/name], [name]Mariella[/name], [name]Azalea[/name], and [name]Rosaria[/name]. Beautiful choices! [name]Araminta[/name] is a great, really unusual choice with fun nicknames - [name]Ari[/name] and [name]Minty[/name] - but it is also a lot of name for a girl to have, if you know what I mean. Where do you live? I think it would be relatively unheard of in the US, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t use it! A compromise to [name]Araminta[/name] could be [name]Arabella[/name]. [name]Valencia[/name] is slightly less unheard of because of [name]Valencia[/name], Spain and the [name]Valencia[/name] orange fruit. In a way, the name reminds me of [name]Clementine[/name] because my thoughts immediately fly to the fruit. But, with [name]Valencia[/name], you get nice nickname options like [name]Val[/name], [name]Leni[/name], and Cici. A safer option might be [name]Valeria[/name], which is equally romantic and more subtle in its exoticism. [name]Mariella[/name] is a very accessible choice, what with its [name]Mary[/name]-esque vibe and ever-popular -ella ending. It’s a nice change-up from [name]Isabella[/name], I think! It has a very Spanish or Italian flavor to it, which is pretty, but I think I prefer [name]Mariana[/name], to be honest. [name]Azalea[/name] is one of my favorite flower names, and I think it is both striking and simple at once because it allows you to use a safer nickname like [name]Lea[/name], which happens to be beautiful on its own. It’s a lovely flower name with much more character and pizazz than the common [name]Lily[/name]. Names with the same striking beauty but less of the flower power might be [name]Aurelia[/name] or [name]Adelia[/name]. [name]Rosalia[/name] is a nice spin on the traditional [name]Rose[/name], giving off an immense amount of feminine flair and Spanish flavor. With this one, you’re going to need to pick a pronunciation and stick to it. [name]Will[/name] she be [ROW-zah-[name]LEE[/name]-ah], [row-ZAY-lee-ah], or [row-[name]ZALE[/name]-ya]? A similar name with less pronunciation quirks might be [name]Rosanna[/name] or [name]Roxana[/name], but [name]Rosalia[/name] is lovely!

Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I am totally in love with [name]Araminta[/name]. I am way too shy to use that though, so if you have the guts, do it!! :slight_smile:

I think [name]Evelia[/name] may encounter pr. probs…I read it as ev-uh-[name]LEE[/name]-uh.

P.S. I don’t think it is unreasonable, as you were willing to compromise on first name, that you get to pick the middle. I think [name]Danielle[/name] – or one of your other choices – will work well there –

[name]Araminta[/name] [name]Danielle[/name]

[name]Just[/name] saying. :slight_smile:

bonnie

hmm I see what you mean… we say:
[name]Evelia[/name] - eh-VAY-lee-a - [name]Evie[/name] as nn - I will admit that I love this one!
Amiria - a-MEER-ee-a - using [name]Amy[/name] as nn ([name]Amy[/name] is one of my favourite names…)
Apollena - a-pol-[name]LEE[/name]-na - hmm maybe Apollina would be better? I have no idea if it is a real name or not but was just trying to loose a few letters/syllables off his idea! Was thinking of using [name]Polly[/name] as nn to make it more accesible?

I’m not sure about middle names at the moment. I’d like something “normal” but I think they may sound odd next to these… Our surname is [name]Ryan[/name] - please feel free to make suggestions!

lemon

Amiria is maori i think… and as I said above Apollina/Apollena is an attempt to loose some letters/syllables from Apollinaria…

We’re in the UK and I’m afraid [name]Arabella[/name] is just too overwhelmingly cutsey for me! Hmm the fruit thing was what was putting me off [name]Valencia[/name]… but again it was an attempt to loose syllables/letters off Valenciana… He said no to [name]Valeria[/name] (too close to malaria apparently!). Again [name]Mariana[/name], [name]Adelia[/name] and [name]Rosalia[/name] were no’s unfortunately… He said [name]Rosaria[/name] was ok… we say Rows-AHR-ree-a.

elsie

You should see his previous list… these are tame in comparison! [name]Do[/name] you think Evaylia or Eveylia would be better?

These are the ones that I think I could use:
[name]Araminta[/name] nn [name]Mintie[/name]/[name]Minta[/name] (a-rah-MINT-a)
[name]Evelia[/name] nn [name]Evie[/name] (eh-VAY-lee-a)
Amiria nn [name]Amy[/name] (a-MEER-ee-a)
[name]Azalea[/name] nn [name]Azzie[/name] (a-ZAYL-ya)
[name]Rosaria[/name] nn [name]Rosie[/name] (rows-AHR-ree-a)

These are the ones that I’m still not sure about/are on there to appease hub…
[name]Mariella[/name]
[name]Valencia[/name]
Apollina nn [name]Polly[/name] (a-pol-[name]LEE[/name]-na)

Any other thoughts? [name]Jess[/name]

I definitely think you should choose a name you both love, not one you are keeping on the list to appease your husband. So, are those names like [name]Araminta[/name], [name]Rosaria[/name], [name]Evelia[/name], and [name]Amaria[/name] names that you both love? Since you’re in the UK, I think [name]Araminta[/name] would be wonderful! And, I’m sorry - I’m must have read [name]Rosaria[/name] as [name]Rosalia[/name]! Anyway, [name]Rosaria[/name] is really pretty, and I love nicknames like [name]Rosie[/name] and [name]Aria[/name]! It reminds me of [name]Rosario[/name] [name]Dawson[/name], the actress…

Hm. I’m slightly perplexed by [name]Evelia[/name] still, to be honest. Adding a Y really detracts from the beauty of the name in my opinion, so I wouldn’t recommend that. Would you consider a different way of getting to [name]Evie[/name]? I know you hate [name]Evangeline[/name] in all its forms, so I’m guessing you wouldn’t go for [name]Evangelina[/name] or [name]Evangelia[/name], right? I did find some other options that might work for you guys, though, so take a look:

[name]Evanna[/name] - [ee-vah-na] - This name means “God is gracious,” and it is Welsh. Apparently one of the actresses in the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] films is named [name]Evanna[/name]? I looked her up, and [name]Evanna[/name] [name]Lynch[/name] plays [name]Luna[/name] Lovegood, if you are familiar with the films.

[name]Evelina[/name] - [eh-veh-lee-na] - This Latin variant of [name]Evelyn[/name] means “desired.” I think it sounds sweet and elegant!

[name]Evenie[/name] - [eh-veh-nee] - A variant of [name]Yvonne[/name], by way of [name]Evonne[/name]. Something makes me think your husband won’t go for this one…

[name]Evetta[/name] - [ee-veh-ta] - I’m assuming this [name]Eve[/name] variant is pronounced like Iveta, and it leaves open the possibility of using [name]Eve[/name], [name]Evie[/name], or even the very vintage [name]Etta[/name] and [name]Ettie[/name] as nicknames.

[name]Evita[/name] - [eh-vee-ta] - Well, people will probably assume you are major fans of [name]Evita[/name], the musical by [name]Andrew[/name] [name]Lloyd[/name] [name]Webber[/name], but this name has character!

Okay, that’s all I’ve got. I really like [name]Evelina[/name] and [name]Evanna[/name], personally. Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I personally love [name]Valencia[/name] and [name]Rosaria[/name].

Thankyou lemon! [name]Evelia[/name] is greek meaning life… I agree that the y detracts from it… As far as [name]Evie[/name] goes I’m happy to consider anything (big exception being [name]Evangeline[/name] etc… just hate those!). I personally really like [name]Evanna[/name] from those suggestions but hub won’t (it’s not frilly enough…). I’ve tried [name]Evelina[/name] but apparently he just sees the word “evil” which actually now he’s mentioned it is all I see when reading the name!

Thankyou decmama!

I suppose the actual list of names we both love looks more like this:
[name]Araminta[/name]
[name]Evelia[/name]
Amiria
[name]Rosaria[/name]

Not sure how well any of them work with our surname [name]Ryan[/name] though…

[name]Jess[/name]

My fave is [name]Azalea[/name] nn [name]Lea[/name]. Pretty!

[name]Jess[/name],

A bummer about [name]Evanna[/name], but it’s good you’ve got four names you agree on! Now, for me anything ending in -ria clashes with [name]Ryan[/name]. [name]Rosaria[/name] [name]Ryan[/name] is a bit of a tongue twister, as is [name]Amaria[/name] [name]Ryan[/name]. So, realistically, I think [name]Araminta[/name] and [name]Evelia[/name] are your best options! Now, my thing with [name]Evelia[/name] is that I want to say it as [eh-veh-lee-ah], not with the “ay” sound you’re looking for. Maybe I’m just odd, but I definitely foresee issues with that one. So, I honestly think [name]Araminta[/name] [name]Ryan[/name] not only lessens the potential for unwanted pronunciation issues, but it also sounds amazing! [name]Love[/name] it. And, isn’t [name]Minty[/name] [name]Ryan[/name] like the cutest thing ever? It sort of makes me think of a boy named [name]Ryan[/name] with minty-fresh breath, but it’s super-cute.

L

I think the intuitive pronounciation would be

EE-vah-lee-ah

Would that work for you? Because I think that is what people are most likely to come up with.

I love your final list. I think any of them would work. [name]Don[/name]'t worry about [name]Ryan[/name]. It’s cool – and works just fine.

Evalia [name]Ryan[/name]

I like the r’s in [name]Rosaria[/name] [name]Ryan[/name], but maybe that is just me! I’m not struggling at with Amiria [name]Ryan[/name] either. I rather like the repetition of sounds, in the names-as-mini-poems category. I also like blending ethnicities, which these names do.

But I do agree the clear winner is [name]Araminta[/name] [name]Ryan[/name]. [name]How[/name] cute is that? [name]How[/name] perfect is that? [name]Minty[/name] is adorable. Mom [name]Jess[/name] loves it. For 4 syllables, it doesn’t seem like a long name, and the pronunciation is clear. What’s not to like?

I do think you can live through the pronunciation issues with [name]Evelia[/name], but on the other hand, why not go with something less problematic?

My vote is with [name]Araminta[/name], all the way!

[name]Azalea[/name] is my favourite. [name]Rosaria[/name] is great, too. I love the look of [name]Evelia[/name] on paper, but my automatic prn was ehv-elle-ee-ah. I like it prn both ways, though, and I think once you correct someone once, it’ll stick. [name]Eva[/name] (like ever) is a cute nn as well!

For Apollena, would he maybe consider [name]Apollonia[/name] or [name]Apolline[/name]?

Not sure about [name]Araminta[/name] because in Australia there is a famous brand of peppermint lolly (sweet) called Minties. I like [name]Aria[/name] much more.