Anderson on a girl?

A couple I know recently announced that they’re naming their daughter [name]Anderson[/name] [name]Lucy[/name]. There is no family connection to [name]Anderson[/name] and they are going to call her [name]Anderson[/name], no nickname. I love [name]Lucy[/name] but am just not understanding [name]Anderson[/name] on a girl. Thoughts?

I strongly dislike [name]Anderson[/name] for a girl (polite reply). I don’t think there’s any reason why parents would choose this name for a female when there are so many beautiful names out there (traditionally female as well as unisex). In fact, I admit I don’t care for any name ending in “son” for a girl. It doesn’t make sense to me at all. This trend has really developed into some crazed competition (eg. how can we shock the most people and top our next door neighbor who named their daughter [name]Addison[/name]?). They just should have called her [name]Lucy[/name]. I wouldn’t want to grow up saddled with this name. In looks, in sound and written out, it screams : BOY BOY BOY loud and clear! Ok, my rant is over now! I feel much better! :smiley:

I don’t understand why any parent would want to name their sweet baby girl [name]Anderson[/name]. It is very strong and obviously masculine. As someone who is feminine, I would not want to be named [name]Anderson[/name]…

I agree, it definitely does not pass my “name I’d like to have” test!

Ew. The -son trend on girls totally baffles me. [name]Do[/name] these parents even look up the names they choose? Oh well. At least she’s got a great middle name.

I think that people choose these names because they sound old money and prep school -esque. Personally, I think this trend has reached critical mass and last names first are starting to sound phony and faux-pedigreed. Like when everyone wanted signature [name]Louis[/name] Viutton, Fendi bags and so many people started carrying knock-offs that you started to ASSUME they were fake.
Not very nice, but that’s my theory anyway. :wink:

Totally agree Berries! I have just found a website that has a LOT of info on the entymology of names - babycentre.com or baby-centre.com - forgive me, I forget! - very interesting! As a pp. said, dont parents look names up anymore? [name]Mac[/name]-/Mc-, -son and O’- all mean [name]SON[/name] OF…! Blatantly Masculine! I dont get it. I’m not a fan of any sn’s as fn’s. I hope the pp who said the trend is reaching a climax is right as my best friend might still want to name a future daughter, sister to [name]Noah/name, [name]Madison[/name]! Aaarrgh!!

Oh [name]Lord[/name]. Honestly, I hate it. It sounds far too masculine. I cannot wait for this trend to pass.

[name]Anderson[/name] is not the new [name]Addison[/name]. Learn from their example and see this as a lapse in judgment.

In reply to above: thats a bit snarky and pretentious. Its not a lapse in judgement where [name]Addison[/name] is concerned, its called different tastes…do not insult parents who have different tastes then yourself.

I’m guessing they see it as an updated [name]Andrea[/name]? It’s not my style but it does have some cute nickname options.

Actually, [name]Anderson[/name] (or [name]Andersen[/name]) is one of my favorite names for a girl. My ancestors came from Norway and [name]Sweden[/name] and their last name was [name]Andersen[/name]. They were forced to change it when they came through [name]Ellis[/name] Island. It really is a matter of taste as I would never choose the name [name]Lucy[/name]- but thats what makes life interesting. Who wants a world full of people with only the same names? :slight_smile:

Hm, I don’t care actually. Why does it matter? I truthfully don’t care what the name “means” or what Gender its “usually” is. So I don’t care if you name your daughter [name]John[/name] or your son [name]Greer[/name] If you like it go with it. :roll: I’m probably one of the only people who feel this way on here

@Aralyn - I’m quite surprised by your comments and a little confused. When giving a child a name for life, it’s important to care and to take into account how others perceive a name whether it’s meaning, gender association, pronounciation, spelling etc…Why would people be posting for opinions on Nameberry (including yourself) if they didn’t care? Very strange statements.

Listen, if this is the case, I am 100% all for naming your daughter [name]Anderson[/name]. You have history and meaning to tie a little girl to the name. I just dislike random surnames bestowed for no reason at all.

I agree with [name]Mischa[/name]-- names have huge importance and a great effect on a person’s entire life. I know this might seem presumptuous, but if someone posted who was considering naming their daughter [name]John[/name] (or [name]Anderson[/name], for that matter), I would do anything to talk them out of it-- for the good of the child. And of course, everyone has their own personal taste in names, but there’s a point where practicality has to overcome personal taste.

I adore [name]Anderson[/name] on a girl. I’ve considered it. I know a little girl named [name]Anderson[/name], but she goes by [name]Andi[/name].

Strange seeing my last name as a first name on a girl.

That said, [name]Anderson[/name] [name]Cooper[/name] has that name, so if it’s okay for a guy… ?

It’s 2017 and none of you will probably see this. I was six when this was written, seven years ago. I can’t agree with you that [name_m]Anderson[/name_m] is a bad name. I have been living with the name [name_m]Anderson[/name_m] for 13 years, and it hasn’t been that bad. I am appalled, that you think names can determine whether you are masculine or feminine. [name_m]Anderson[/name_m] is a very strong name and I’m proud to have it. At least I don’t have a generic name. (ex. [name_f]Emma[/name_f] or [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]) People can have their own opinions, but I hope this could change other people’s opinion if they see this. [name_m]Anderson[/name_m] is a great name feminine and strong. Parents should do what they want and pick they name for their own child, not be swayed by some opinionated person or people on the internet. I’m happy that my parents named me [name_m]Anderson[/name_m].

I like [name_m]Anderson[/name_m]. Honestly it’s a cute name (I would have the nickname [name_f]Andie[/name_f]). I would have this name over [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] or [name_f]Ava[/name_f] any day.