Annelies?

I seem to go through [name_f]Annie[/name_f] phases, and the last time I had her on my list, it was as a nn for [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]. I’ve moved away from that for a while now, and while I’ve never fully been able to connect with [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] (this spelling), I came across Annelies today, and I’m really loving that! Particularly more than the other spellings I’ve seen ([name_f]Annelise[/name_f]/Annalyse/[name_f]Analise[/name_f]/Analyse/[name_f]Annalise[/name_f]/[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]–although, admittedly, I don’t mind [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] or [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]–I just am crushing on Annelies much more right now). I do like, though, that it’s a traditional [name_m]German[/name_m] spelling (I think), without having to worry about the fact that she would get ah-nah-[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-zah rather than the [name_f]LEESE[/name_f] ending if I were ever to visit a [name_m]German[/name_m]-speaking country. :slight_smile: Is it too cooky for the US? What would you think if you met a little Annelies? Which spelling would you opt for if you ever used the name?

Thanks, ladies!

I like [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] and personally am not a fan of it spelt without the E. I think people might pronounce it like analyse and maybe even kids calling her a “Liar.” I don’t know, it’s up to you, though I think when dealing with multiple spelling it’s best to go for the original.

I’m guessing it’s ‘anna-leez’? If so, then that spelling is perfect. I like it.

Honestly, this spelling looks like [name_f]Anne[/name_f] lies.

I’m another one who can’t get past the [name_f]Anne[/name_f] lies thing. Sorry.

Agree with the above. I’d go with [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]. In the U.S., most will pronounce it anna-lees anyway and if she ever goes to Germany, she can drop the “e” if she chooses or she can just correct people.

I like it, it’s [name_f]Anne[/name_f] [name_m]Frank[/name_m]'s real first name ([name_f]Anne[/name_f] was short for Annelies). I didn’t notice the [name_f]Anne[/name_f] lies bit until it was pointed out. Although, saying all this, I adore the spelling [name_f]Annaliese[/name_f] (I adored Annaleise before I realised that isn’t really seen as an alternative, more rather a ‘typo’).

Beautiful name. I would only use the Annelies spelling if I lived in a country where that was the traditional spelling. Otherwise I would use [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]. In English-speaking countries the -s ending looks awkward because that how we pluralize. (It’s not as bad with a consonant-s, like [name_m]Brooks[/name_m] or [name_m]Anders[/name_m], but vowel-s as in Annelies just doesn’t translate well.)

Oh, no! :frowning: Is it really that bad? I don’t think most people assume [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] is the original spelling, anyway, and it rarely ranks, but I’m really loving the idea of Annelies right now (and I like it even more because of [name_f]Anne[/name_f] [name_m]Frank[/name_m], who consequently shared a birthday with my little sister…). Is this just caution-worthy, or axe-worthy? I really wanted Annelies to work.

Definitely [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]. Annelies actually reads like ‘anne lies’ or ‘anne lees’ to me, I’d say it’s axe-worthy - [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] is only an extra ‘e’, after all, and I’ve never known anyone to pronounce it as ‘ann-nah-leez-ah’ in [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u] (I don’t even know of many European families who say it that way? A family I knew when I was younger had immigrated to [name_f]Canada[/name_f] from Germany, with their children (now teens), [name_m]Conrad[/name_m] and [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f], also, there’s an American actress named [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f], I believe she’s of Russian decent?).

Annelies may work as a middle name, but, I don’t think it reads the way you’d like it to in [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u].

I love the name, I have it as [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] on my list. I think it looks weird without the e at the end.

I am familiar with the name, and even I had to stop and puzzle out the pronunciation with that spelling. Pros: it looks beautiful on paper, and as you said, it is a traditional [name_m]German[/name_m] spelling. Cons: people aren’t going to pronounce it right. If that worries you, then I would add the e to the ending.

[name_f]My[/name_f] first thought is to pronounce it “[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-lies”. I definitely think it needs the e at the end.

I went to school with a girl named [name_f]Annaliese[/name_f]. She was a good friend. I say go for it!

[name_f]Susan[/name_f]

I’d have to axe Annelies, sorry to say. I love [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] and [name_f]Annelise[/name_f] is a close second imo.

Sorry, as soon as I looked at it I thought “[name_f]Anne[/name_f] lies.” I know it’s a [name_m]German[/name_m] spelling but “[name_f]Anne[/name_f] lies” wouldn’t mean anything in that language. [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] is generally the accepted spelling in U.S. and [name_f]England[/name_f] I believe. Annelies does look incomplete. [name_f]Annelise[/name_f], and even [name_f]Annalise[/name_f] (although I don’t prefer it) would probably be better than Annelies if you really hate [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f].

[name_m]Hi[/name_m],

Maybe it’s good to know that here in [name_u]Holland[/name_u] Annelies is a common Dutch name. It’s pronounced [name_m]Ah[/name_m] - nah (neh)- lees. It’s not very popular these days. [name_f]Anne[/name_f] or [name_f]Anna[/name_f] and [name_u]Lisa[/name_u] are though. I usually hear the name on middel aged women. And think it’s considered a little dull under the younger generetion. I’m sure there are younger people named Annelies, but not much in my region. I would go with [name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_u]Lisa[/name_u] instead, I think the name Annelies would cause a lot of questions as for how to spell, pronounce it in the US.
You would be very original though! :wink: don’t let this discourage you to pick the name if you love it.

Annelies feels unfinished to me. I love [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] though!

I like Annelies because that is how [name_f]Anne[/name_f] [name_m]Frank[/name_m] spelled it. :slight_smile:

Annelies is very pretty and sweet without being sugary. I also think of [name_f]Anne[/name_f] [name_m]Frank[/name_m]. I pronounce [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] as ah-nuh-leez-uh and Annelies as ah-nuh-leez, so would spell it based on which pronunciation you want. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if Americans would pronounce [name_f]Anneliese[/name_f] the way you want, personally I’d still feel weird about knowing and deliberately pronouncing the name “wrong.”