Another girl's name to go with Erika

I love the name [name]Erika[/name] (the sound in particular, the look/ spelling I’m not really fussed with). My partner actually came up with it initially as a middle name. I was at first stuck on the [name]Eric[/name] part (there’s something about the feminization of a male name that rubs me the wrong way) but over the months it grew on me. I appear to love girls names that end in ‘a.’ We’re not even TTC yet, but I’m glad we’re getting a head start (and that he is so open to the idea) because my tastes have definitely changed over the last year. We want to have 2-3 names for each gender for the hospital when the time comes. I’m pretty happy with my boys names - [name]Wyatt[/name], [name]Owen[/name], [name]Riley[/name]. But for girls I am completely stumped. I cannot find anything that I really fall for. I have probably scoured thousands of names (or at least it feels that way), and while yes, I have plenty of time, it is presently driving me crazy so I am asking for your help. So, any suggestions for names sounding similar (vowel sounds?) to [name]Erika[/name] (without being to matchy obviously) or names that I may love as much?
Considerations:
I’m not really sure of style so any will do for now.
I would prefer a 3 syllable name, but am open.
I would prefer 4-6 letters but am open.
I’m not fussed on origin or meaning yet (though I love both for [name]Erika[/name]), but this will definitely be a deciding factor later on.
Last name is two syllables and end is ‘-ton’ which can be a factor for some names ending in ‘n’.
Thanks so much :slight_smile:

Some options:

[name]Amica[/name]
[name]Annika[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]/[name]Francisca[/name]
[name]Janica[/name]
[name]Mariska[/name]
[name]Rebecca[/name] - Possibly dated but it’s less common.
[name]Viveca[/name]/[name]Vivica[/name]

I think [name]Erika[/name] runs the risk of feeling dated. You might not be able to escape that 1980’s image.

Some three syllable alternatives:

[name]Allegra[/name]
[name]Clarissa[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Elena[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Larissa[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name] (loo-chee-ah)
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]

HTH!

Here are some names of various styles you may like:

[name]Sabrina[/name]
[name]Marielle[/name]
[name]Talia[/name]
[name]Julitta[/name]
[name]Mallory[/name]
[name]Jacqueline[/name]
[name]Delaney[/name]
[name]Irina[/name]
[name]Cassidy[/name]
[name]Emery[/name]
[name]Bryony[/name]
[name]Corinna[/name]
[name]Nolia[/name]
[name]Adina[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]

Why is it dated? Is it because of that soap? In that case, I’m in Australia and so I don’t think the reference is as embedded in our culture. Or is there another reason? Thanks for the feedback.

I agree that [name]Erica[/name] is quite dated in the U.S. ([name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] write that [name]Erica[/name] was a “Cool name…over thirty years ago”) but it may not be considered dated in Australia. I do think that [name]Erica[/name] is a strong name, though, and I can see its appeal.

Here’s a blog written by [name]Pam[/name] or [name]Linda[/name] about [name]Erica[/name] and other similar names, called The Four-Generation [name]Rule[/name]: https://nameberry.com/blog/2009/04/01/the-four-generation-rule/

This obviously doesn’t apply to Australia, where you say [name]Erica[/name] is a fresh name, but I thought it would answer your question about why it’s dated in the U.S…

It’s dated in the U.S. because it was super popular in the 70s and 80s and then dropped off in popularity. I think of it like I do [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Lindsay[/name], [name]Jennifer[/name], [name]Megan[/name], [name]Heather[/name], or [name]Chelsea[/name], and have a hard time picturing it with names that are presently considered stylish in the U.S…

In Australia, what names are often paired with [name]Erica[/name]?

Let’s see…I can see these longer names with [name]Erica[/name]:

[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Natalie[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name] (popular)
[name]Sophia[/name] (popular)
[name]Victoria[/name]

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

[name]Ah[/name]! Forget what I said. I have no idea about the image of [name]Erika[/name] in Australia. :slight_smile: Here in the U.S., it’s so 70s/80s that its charms have long been forgotten. I can also see it sounding particularly nice with an Australian accent…

Thanks for replying. I’ve been offline for three weeks and its been driving me crazy. To be honest I have no idea of the popularity or freshness of [name]Erika[/name] in Australia. Most name forums are American and its harder to find information specific to Australia. I’ve never known anyone named [name]Erika[/name], so there are no negative connotations for me, and aside from pulling over random strangers and asking them, I don’t really know how to ‘check’ the name over here. I was hoping there would be some Aussies here who might comment, or that it would be universal. We’re not too different. The most common girls names when I was in school (keep in mind I’m only 22 which is another reason why I’m not so familiar with what is considered dated) were [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Jessica[/name], [name]Anna[/name], [name]Jennifer[/name], [name]Rachel[/name], [name]Rebecca[/name], [name]Maria[/name]. My partner picked [name]Erika[/name], we love the meaning, and his father”s nickname is [name]Rick[/name] so [name]Erika[/name] has a nice family connection too. I”m just glad I can ”float” a name here. Family members always seem to have a bad comment about at least one name. Its much easier to get an honest and unbiased opinion here.