Another "worst names" article

I found another one! This one has 100 names so I will just share the link. I’m interested to see which ones stand out to you guys, either as ones you disagree with or ones you do agree with. I’d guess there will be a fair mix of both for most people.

Was glad to read that most of these aren’t even names in the least. :rofl: I won’t be calling my child Orgasm or Facebook… but I don’t think a name like sweetie [name_f]Sue[/name_f] or [name_f]Helga[/name_f] is as bad as either of them by miles and miles! Don’t quite get why this article was written, but I mean, to each our own?

6 Likes

Immediately, I have to disagree with Prudence & Zuma. As well as Arthur for the boys. I absolutely adore those names. I also don’t mind Irelynn, Apple, Dusk, Mars, Hero, Angus, Peggy, Bruce, Marty, Denim, Diesel, Banjo, Wolfgang, or Chip. I kind of think Pirate would be a super cool name as well but I think it would stay on my gp list lol. I could definitely see how some of these more unique (or totally plain like Sue) names could appear off putting, but they aren’t all bad … some of them though… some are pretty bad :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

fun, thanks for sharing!!

my thoughts on a few of them:

[name_f]Neveah[/name_f] - I’ve never liked [name_f]Neveah[/name_f], and I really don’t like how unbelievably overused it became. I wouldn’t call it ugly, though!
[name_f]Olga[/name_f] - I know a lovely lady named [name_f]Olga[/name_f]. I agree it’s not the prettiest sounding name, but I think their description of it is harsh. Sounds a bit disrespectful to other cultures :grimacing:
[name_f]Helga[/name_f] - [name_f]Helga[/name_f] is fine :woman_shrugging: the description is, again, rude.
[name_f]Peggy[/name_f] - I’m not the biggest fan of [name_f]Peggy[/name_f], but there’s nothing wrong with it. I’m unsure how it’s “not feminine” though.
[name_f]Prudence[/name_f] - agreed that it sounds a bit old for a current baby. [name_f]Prue[/name_f] is a super cute nn though!
Veraminta - never heard this before, it’s beautiful!
[name_m]Zuma[/name_m] - reminds me of [name_f]Paw[/name_f] Patrol and [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] Stefani’s son. I’d stick with just [name_f]Zuzu[/name_f] personally!
[name_f]Moxie[/name_f] Crimefighter - I remember when I was a kid, I thought this was the weirdest name ever :sweat_smile: it’s still a bit too brave for my liking! Also, weird that they said “her child*”, as this is [name_u]Penn[/name_u] Jillette’s child, and he is a man.
[name_f]Tu[/name_f] [name_m]Morrow[/name_m] - okay, yeah, I get this one :grimacing:
[name_f]Fifi[/name_f] - [name_f]Fifi[/name_f], [name_f]Peaches[/name_f], and [name_f]Pixie[/name_f] are definitely a brave sibset, but kind of cute!! I’m confused about what [name_u]Paris[/name_u] [name_m]Hilton[/name_m] has to do with this family, though :sweat_smile:
Boomquifa - this sounds like the authors attempt at being racist, but maybe that’s just me?
[name_f]Sue[/name_f] - [name_f]Sue[/name_f] is perfectly normal, and so common. How did this even make the list??
Le-a - this is a racist urban legend, not a name :roll_eyes:
[name_f]Apple[/name_f] - a very brave choice when [name_f]Gwyneth[/name_f] chose it, but I think it’s very pretty and sweet, and definitely fits in with current trends!
[name_u]North[/name_u] [name_u]West[/name_u] - agreed that it’s strange they chose a directional name, but [name_u]North[/name_u] on its own is fine.
[name_u]Dusk[/name_u] - this is pretty and cool, I like this!
[name_u]Mars[/name_u] - love this so much!! I googled [name_u]Merkaba[/name_u] and it seems to be Hebrew? Not weird at all, guess the author didn’t bother to do any research.
[name_u]Hero[/name_u] - one of my favorites!!
Sharkiesha - yikes, definitely not enjoying the subtle racism at play here.
[name_m]Dick[/name_m] & [name_m]Gaylord[/name_m] - yes, okay, can see why these would be unusable in current times
[name_m]Angus[/name_m] - this is perfectly fine?
[name_m]Elmo[/name_m] - maybe unusable now yes, but it was a name long before the character.
[name_m]Bruce[/name_m] - [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] is very cute.
[name_u]Arthur[/name_u] - this name is literally still popular and well used, what is the writer talking about?
[name_u]Marty[/name_u] - nms, but there’s nothing wrong with this.
[name_u]Banjo[/name_u] - cute!
[name_u]Pirate[/name_u] - this could make a very cool middle!! (like [name_u]Billie[/name_u] Eilish!)
[name_u]Rebel[/name_u] - like [name_u]Rebel[/name_u], such a cool name. [name_u]Rebel[/name_u], [name_u]Rogue[/name_u], [name_u]Rocket[/name_u], and [name_u]Racer[/name_u] are probably the coolest set of brothers ever :sweat_smile:
[name_u]Seven[/name_u] - some number names are more common than others, this doesn’t sound that unusual to me
[name_m]Bronx[/name_m] [name_m]Mowgli[/name_m] - nope, will not have any [name_m]Pete[/name_m] Wentz slander here!
Laqueesha - triple yikes, I’m astounded by the racism in this article.
[name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] - love [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m]!
[name_m]Chip[/name_m] - oh, one of my favorites :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: this has been used for so long, I don’t see any issues here.

A lot of the names on the list also just…aren’t names? I’m not sure where they came from.
I’m also in absolute shock this article is a current one, I fully expected it to be about a decade+ old, based on the way it was written. It feels like the article’s writer didn’t do any research, as well, which is disappointing.
Although, the worst thing about it was the racist names and urban legends. Which is why I fully expected this to be a very old article :grimacing:

6 Likes

These two were funny to me - they’re both common, everyday names in my cultural sphere so this was like watching someone go on a bizarre rant about how strange Mary or Jane are.

5 Likes

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Also, I adore some the names on this list, like Prudence, Mars, Hero and Bob (“no less than child abuse”? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:).

This article makes my blood boil.

And also, on the website it says about the author:

This inspired her to gain extensive knowledge on names from various cultures, regions, religions and countries.

You can’t tell from this article though :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

[name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] shouldn’t be there, it’s such a fine name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] because is [name_m]German[/name_m] and not popular in [name_u]America[/name_u] doesn’t mean it’s ugly

2 Likes